Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stablehost View Post
    Another thing, which I'm sure will not be a topic to be discussed here is selective moderation.
    You've been around here long enough to know that if you have an issue with moderation then we'll discuss that in a ticket, not in the forums.

I can't count how many times I've opened up tickets about posts that shouldn't be allowed and my helpdesk tickets sit there for months, if not 1+ year... just because nobody wants to do anything about it.

If they don't agree with my report, they should say that and we can talk about it. Obviously ignoring helpdesk tickets is a joke and shows that some people are treated differently than others.
    There's a good possibility that I'm using the wrong search string but I see no tickets from you that are unanswered. Perhaps you're not getting our replies for some reason?

I'm sure we're all happy to take feedback on the general moderation of WHT (rules changes etc.). But if it needs a response related to your personal experience then that should be in the help desk.

I agree with Cody. Get rid of the obvious bluff that people post.
    You'd be surprised how much we already do. Report the ones we haven't seen and help us spot them.
    Another thing, which I'm sure will not be a topic to be discussed here is selective moderation. I personally feel that we should get rid of all of the current moderators and get new blood in here. I can't count how many times I've opened up tickets about posts that shouldn't be allowed and my helpdesk tickets sit there for months, if not 1+ year... just because nobody wants to do anything about it.
    We don't need to get rid of current mods (but adding some with enough time to dedicate would be welcome), and no one is deliberately ignoring anyone. We get a LOT of tickets, and not all mods work the desk as much as they should, which is understandable since it's not their day job and just what time they can spare. The ones that do work the desk all the time are unable to match the volume, since many issues take a long while to deal with, taking away from the easier ones. It's not as cut and dried as I think you may feel it is.
    ignoring helpdesk tickets is a joke and shows that some people are treated differently than others.
    No one is intentionally ignoring any tickets. As for treating differently, you'd have to have some proof of that to convince me.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    No one is intentionally ignoring any tickets. As for treating differently, you'd have to have some proof of that to convince me.
    You're joking, I hope It's the industry joke that WHT mods simply don't care.

But, I'll be happy to prove to you. Here is a list of open tickets without any replies from WHT.

- YFG-945730 - Opened Dec 24 2014 8:50 PM
    - FQX-833347 - Opened Apr 30 2015 9:30 PM
    - NJJ-682640 - Opened Jul 16 2015 1:20 PM
    - EZZ-888018 - Opened Dec 17 2015 8:25 PM
    - OWA-911094 - Opened Dec 17 2015 11:20 AM

If people aren't ignoring tickets, why are there open tickets for over a year, without a single response? You guys use Kayako, you can sort by Open Tickets. If you can't see a list of my tickets that are open, there must be hundreds if not thousands of open tickets just sitting there that have been ignored throughout the years.

Again, this isn't just me. I've talked to many people and everyone says the same thing. I'm usually just the one that opens their mouth about it. If you want feedback, here it is... fix moderation.

You were asked for proof of people being treated differently, not that we don't get to every ticket.
    If people aren't ignoring tickets, why are there open tickets for over a year
    Already explained. Old tickets that are reports of small issues don't always get worked immediately (lack of manpower), then they get pushed down the list. Understaffed, not intentionally ignored.

Perhaps next time the call goes out, you could volunteer.

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow_Chris View Post
    I have saw so many negative threads created due to customer not being happy with provider in the past, which I think 90% of the time was caused by the provider running Master Reseller platform
    You are saying that because of your impression regarding master reseller, while it's not true, most complaints come from clean shared hosting customers and reseller hosting offered by scam companies. My point is, anything can go on wrong on a wrong hand.

Could maybe add subforum under Reseller
    That is a nice option.

There are plenty of providers at WHT who do not offer Master Reseller... and I think one of the reasons they hardly have any negative reviews is because they run the best tried and tested platform like the majority of the popular providers at WHT. Yet check providers who offer Master Reseller and you will see far more unhappy customers who are using it. That's what I have found anyway. No doubt there are several who may offer good Master Reseller service but I do not know of any
    Take a look at hostWithLove, for one. I can name a few others. There are very few hosts on WHT that earned my respect. They are one of them.

See, good master reseller hosting is about management, like any other hosting. If you do it good, your clients will be happy. In my opinion, why many are against it may have to do something with their core business plan. They are not offering it. Having a forum for master reseller will bring more focus towards it. It is actually a good thing. People can interact and share their views more specifically and all those will be stored inside a forum that is not distracted by threads not related to it (such as normal reseller hosting). It's true that master reseller providers will get the added benefit of having their ads on the spot, but it's been same way for cloud/vps providers.

I say again, if you think of ease of use from a user's point of view, having the forum will only help.

You'd be surprised how much we already do. Report the ones we haven't seen and help us spot them.

We don't need to get rid of current mods (but adding some with enough time to dedicate would be welcome)
    I applied to help out a few years ago but never heard anything and so guess I was unsuccessful. Ah well, your loss
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Perhaps next time the call goes out, you could volunteer.
    I have, twice. But, I don't fit the WHT mold of being a robot as I tend to tell people the truth....

I have, twice. But, I don't fit the WHT mold of being a robot as I tend to tell people the truth....
    Appreciate the feedback about how we can improve. Moving on now.

Understaffed, not intentionally ignored.
    I opened a ticket in August of 2014 and to this day have not received a single response.

Understaffed is a gross over statement. If whoever owns WHT now wants feedback I'd say pay some people to actually take care of the forum instead of relying on volunteers that selectively pick what and when to moderate.

Here is a list of open tickets without any replies from WHT.
    There's a reason I said this:

There's a good possibility that I'm using the wrong search string
    The desk search is .. well. it's called "search" but meh!

there must be hundreds if not thousands of open tickets just sitting there
    Welcome to WHT Ignored? No. People + time vs volume = difficult.

In an attempt to get this thread back on track. What can we actually change to help prevent your need to report posts in the first place? Spam will always exist and we'll drown in it without reports. But what could we do differently to help reduce members' reliance on our interaction? This isn't about 'give us less work'. The thread is about improving WHT in general. If we can implement changes that help provide a better environment in general, I'm sure we can get through those specific requests and tickets in a more timely manner.

This thread is not about issues with tickets for anyone specific. Not an ideal situation, but it's already been mentioned, so on to *new* wishes, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    In an attempt to get this thread back on track. What can we actually change to help prevent your need to report posts in the first place? Spam will always exist and we'll drown in it without reports. But what could we do differently to help reduce members' reliance on our interaction? This isn't about 'give us less work'. The thread is about improving WHT in general. If we can implement changes that help provide a better environment in general, I'm sure we can get through those specific requests and tickets in a more timely manner.
    Allow wannabe Corporate members to post ads more regularly using Premium account for a little extra cost thus they will stop with the fluff posts. Premium mmebers are more happy, WHT get a little extra income and less spam to deal with.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Allow wannabe Corporate members to post ads more regularly using Premium account for a little extra cost
    You mean a 'pay to post' model without the need to actually upgrade to Corporate?

Noted but personally I feel the content vs ad ratio is already too weighted towards the latter.

This thread is not about issues with tickets for anyone specific. Not an ideal situation, but it's already been mentioned, so on to *new* wishes, please.
    I think it's a valid point for people to post if they have an issue to draw more attention to it... you asked for feedback, just because someone else already mentioned it doesn't mean I shouldn't also mention my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    You mean a 'pay to post' model without the need to actually upgrade to Corporate?

Noted but personally I feel the content vs ad ratio is already too weighted towards the latter.
    Not 'pay to post' as I think that would be difficult to do billing wise.

For example

Corporate post every 3 days = $150/month
    Premium post every 3 days = $199/year going by the info I mentioned earlier in the thread.

I would rather do the latter as not too fussed to not have Corporate Member in gold text, and I would not use the keyword tool etc as simply not as big as the other more popular providers at WHT.

Basically, the Corporate plan is excellent for the more established providers, but I think the Premium membership does not offer as much to the less established providers. The upgrade from Premium to Corporate is too much of a big difference. It would be better if Premium had the option to pay a little more for a bit extra (but obviously no where near the level of Corporate or there would be no point of having the Corporate membership).

While Premium members may not bring in as much financially compared to Corporate members I would say they probably contribute way more content than Corporate members do, which in turn means more discussions/debates thus brings in more visitors, and so I think Premium members should get a little more than just pay $50/year to be able to post 1 day sooner. I wonder if there are any stats on which paid member group contributes more content etc or does that not really matter? Just some random thoughts etc.

Quote Originally Posted by [x10]Corey View Post
    I think it's a valid point for people to post if they have an issue to draw more attention to it... you asked for feedback, just because someone else already mentioned it doesn't mean I shouldn't also mention my experience.
    The point was made, that's why I suggested we not make it about each person with a desk complaint. We can't discuss specific tickets in the open, so all that does is invite more with the same complaint and muddle the thread.
    Yes, the desk gets behind. No, it's not deliberate. No, we don't favor one member over another.
    It's bigger and more complicated than you assume.

Back to other requests, please.

I think what can be gathered so far from this thread is that the changes WHT needs to make for it to have a real tangible impact are changes which are likely to be perceived as drastic or too much of a drain on resources.

I strongly agree with the statements of @CodyRo in regards to the repetitive nature of posts being made. I try to ensure that my posts are meaningful and contribute in some way. But when you see a thread that is 3x pages long full of "check the offers forum" then it's off-putting.. You think to yourself "what's the point of submitting a post, hardly anyone is going to see it"..

So on one hand, there are I'd imagine a decent amount of people that want to contribute something meaningful and something which really contributes towards the community but on the other hand you have the groups which post for the sake of flashing their signature.. As @stablehost pointed out, it's the latter group which is giving WHT a lot of content but at the cost of quality. What's the point of content if it's going to be meaningless?

Those that have been here long enough would have seen the countless posts stating "wht is going downhill" / "it's not what it used to be" and for a long time I dismissed those statements but for the last couple of years I do actually think there is a big difference to what it used to be and not in a good way. Before, the quality of the content was really good. What you could learn here from other members was invaluable - but now it feels more like a school playground.

The impression I'm getting so far from what the mods have written is that they're more looking for new functionality and features which will improve WHT but from what I'm hearing from the participants is that it isn't so much that you need more features - but really the core of things need to be improved and that's from the ground up.

While getting rid of all the mods and starting again is a bit drastic and not necessarily something I agree with, the fact that someone feels that it's necessary goes to show that the root of the problem is a lot deeper and superficial modifications don't really deal with core issues.

I would say:

a) Increase Moderation staff, perhaps decrease the requirements?
    One of the requirements for being eligable is to be able to dedicate a lot of time. I'm certain that many good candidates for the position are being excluded by that. Remove the requirement, and increase the sheer amount instead! I would advise against having moderators locked to specific areas - set prioritized areas for them, but allow global moderation rights. If I, in the capacity of a moderator, read through the forum as I do on a daily basis and find a case I want to follow up on - why should that not be within my authority? Reporting it back into the system only delays the aforementioned queuetimes and decreases the overall quality of moderation.

b) Regarding a middle tier betwen Premium & Corporation
    I understand the thoughts offered, but I can't see that adding a new tier would be beneficial for iNet. Too many Corporate-members would downgrade to such a plan when offered, as /the/ primary perk and incitament to grab a Corporate membership to begin with, is the reduced ad-posting time.
    If such an option was to be made available however, I'd suggest a limit of posting every 5 days. This way, Corporate memberships retain much value, but a decrease from 6 to 5 days would see more people upgrading their Premium memberships, generating more revenue.

c) Regarding Master/Alpha/Super-reseller subforums
    Whilst WHT is an open board, I don't think it should encourage or give additional means to promote bad practices. Leave the Reseller forums as a main category.

d) Regarding an "FAQ" topic
    Whole-heartedly agree. Note that discouraging people from posting is not a good thing, and many people would ignore it either way as they feel their question is unique (which we have to understand). With that said, the fact that an FAQ topic DOES NOT exist is odd - one should be created, covering some of the most common questions, as well as give some of the useful tips often offered.

The usual fighting within the thread, LOL

So suggestions and feedback...hmmm.

One suggestion that I've mentioned a few times and worked wonders in the music industry (years ago when their was quality)...a time frame of the business and estimation of customers.

In music...some resources and companies would only deal with artists or groups that have some form of experience. An example;

- be an artist or group for at least 2 years
    - performances with either flyers or some form of proof
    - possibly music that has been released

That just the basics. It would easy to implement here;

- have you been a host for at least a year
    - do you have customers and a rough estimate of how many

Right now.....10 posts and a person can then advertise...which essentially means after 10 posts, they're on the same level as a host that's been on here of 10+ years.

It would help to cut down on the trainwreck hosts. The ones that come on...ask what to name their company...ask how to configure WHMCS, and then start advertising a week later.....and have complaining customers for the lifespan of the membership.

One other idea which I forgot about, and not sure if this would work was how many times a host got a complain within a time frame. For instance....if a host on here received 10 valid complaints within a month, then have their advertising privileges suspended for 2 weeks.

Limit member posts per day (perhaps by membership status i.e. Corporate, Premium etc).

It would reduce the posts by members who feel they have to voice their opinion on everything, it may stop a single member monopolising a thread, it may reduce the above mentioned by @CodyRo, but moreover, it may encourage diversity.

I'd like to add one more request. If possible, consider putting a 'Threads Started By Me' link under 'Quick Links'. It will help almost everyone on WHT.

- Shrink signatures to 2 lines max, most posts of hosts the sigs are larger than post content

- Fix encoding issues on homepage for web hosting news feed

- Drop ICQ, MSN and Aim icons
    MattF - Since the start..

Premium membership can be used by members who are not even a web host. Users new to the forum may assume anyone using a Premium membership is a web host.

Maybe it would be more clear if you offered Premium which can be used by non web hosting providers, Web Host (SMB) and Web Host (SME) and obviously have text SMB and SME with hover over description explaining the difference. I think that would be good as the main types of users who visit this forum are individuals/SMBs looking for the smaller personal web hosting providers (as they usually go the extra mile, offer a lot more support etc), and then individuals/SMEs who prefer to use SMEs.

Also while Corporate members might be annoyed by the fluff posts from Premium members, they need to remember that a lot of the business they get is from Premium members of this forum. By suggesting ways of limiting what Premium members can post and when they can post it etc you are also limiting your own sales from them, because if they are not able to get as much sales then they will not be able to pay you. Instead, I think the Premium membership should be changed slightly (even if it cost a little more) which allows them to compete better via advertising properly instead of having to go OTT with sig flashing. Everyones a winner that way.

I think the following or something similar would be:

Premium (for standard members who want to support WHT)
    Web Host (SMB) - small to medium businesses
    Web Host (SME) - small to medium enterprises
    Web Host (LE) - Large Enterprise (optional) would think that would be EIG anyway and so unnecessary.
    Last edited by HostXNow; 02-02-2016 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MightWeb-Marcus View Post
    I would say:

a) Increase Moderation staff, perhaps decrease the requirements?
    One of the requirements for being eligable is to be able to dedicate a lot of time. I'm certain that many good candidates for the position are being excluded by that. Remove the requirement, and increase the sheer amount instead!
    Are you suggesting having a bunch of mods with not much time to spare? Surely quality is better than quantity?

I would advise against having moderators locked to specific areas - set prioritized areas for them, but allow global moderation rights.
    Most of the moderators are global. We rarely get reports from other moderators.

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse View Post
    Are you suggesting having a bunch of mods with not much time to spare? Surely quality is better than quantity?
    Oh, not at all - sorry if I communicated that poorly! What I am saying is that quantity does not exclude quality. In the end, the position is a volunteer, unpaid position. The thread states:
    "We’re emphasizing the need for Liaisons with time to moderate when life allows because the need is that big."

Now of course being able to dedicate time into it is a given - but I think the wording may deter good candidates from actually applying. Let's say another 10 good Moderators were added, all merely moderating as they read through the forum on a daily basis and answering the helpdesk when possible - no matter what, this does decrease workload from the current moderators, and surely can't be seen as a negative?

Most of the moderators are global. We rarely get reports from other moderators.
    Ah, OK! I was under the impression that moderators typically had their sections assigned to them.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast