Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

2016 Site Enhancements Wish List

As I mentioned in the 2016 Bugs and other site usability issues thread, please suggest any site enhancements or improvements you'd like to see on WHT.

No suggestion is wrong. But we likely won't be addressing many of them until we've worked through the Bug Thread.

Let's make 2016 the best year of WHT ever.

So fire away! What's on your mind?
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 01-28-2016 at 12:04 PM.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

This might be a good time to look at different forums and sub-forums. Do we want to add any new ones? Combine any existing ones?
    "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." – Theodore Roosevelt

The lack of a master reseller hosting forum is noticeable on WHT. It's true that master reseller hosting and reseller hosting both are considered reseller hosting. But they are not the same. When a user is searching for a master reseller hosting it's quite tough for him to find the resource he is looking for, considering most of the hosts offering reseller hosting don't offer master reseller hosting.

VPS, Shared Hosting , Reseller Hosting, Cloud - all are actually shared hosting but they are not same and have different forums. Only master reseller hosting does not have any forum. I think it's time for WHT to add it for the sake of users' looking for it.

Huh! Since when did the WHT staff decide they want to listen to their users? This is not the norm XD

1. Reseller Hosting forum should be re-ordered to be after the Web Hosting section.
    2. Community Groups should be removed. I feel that it contributes towards fragmentation of the forum. Those topics I think were just fine in the lounge section and I used to frequent the lounge section often before the community groups.

Quote Originally Posted by MechanicWeb-shoss View Post
    The lack of a master reseller hosting forum is noticeable on WHT. It's true that master reseller hosting and reseller hosting both are considered reseller hosting. But they are not the same. When a user is searching for a master reseller hosting it's quite tough for him to find the resource he is looking for, considering most of the hosts offering reseller hosting don't offer master reseller hosting.

VPS, Shared Hosting , Reseller Hosting, Cloud - all are actually shared hosting but they are not same and have different forums. Only master reseller hosting does not have any forum. I think it's time for WHT to add it for the sake of users' looking for it.
    I'd be seriously against having anything which promotes or even encourages master reseller hosting. In my opinion, if you're offering master reseller, then you're not a serious web host or simply do not understand the implications or choose to be ignorant of it.

Harsh comments, but it's a topic I feel strongly about.

Quote Originally Posted by ServerSam View Post
    Huh! Since when did the WHT staff decide they want to listen to their users? This is not the norm XD
    I don't know what you are talking about. They have only been helpful to me. We should in fact appreciate that they are asking for wishlists and grab the opportunity to tell them what we need publicly.

Quote Originally Posted by IH-Rameen View Post
    If you're offering master reseller, then you're not a serious web host
    It's a statement. Master reseller hosting, VPS (including cloud vps) are very common in nature if you are concerned about server resources. It is 'tough' to maintain. Not everybody's job.

It's a statement. Master reseller hosting, VPS (including cloud vps) are very common in nature if you are concerned about server resources. It is 'tough' to maintain. Not everybody's job.
    That comment just proved my point.. You cannot seriously put master reselling on the same level as cloud hosting. Master reseller = no control over server. There is no magic formula or secret to avoiding that. It will happen.

But anyway - you're more than welcome to PM if you want to discuss this further.. I'm actually interested in the original topic of this thread so I think it's best it isn't derailed .

Quote Originally Posted by IH-Rameen View Post
    You cannot seriously put master reselling on the same level as cloud hosting.
    That is right. they are not on the same level. It's about management what I referred to. If you are looking for easier management of your server, master reseller is not for you.

Just clarifying, otherwise, wouldn't post for the sake of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ServerSam View Post
    You've not heard of new years resolutions?

We've always listened. It's fair to say that much of the feedback in the past hasn't been acted on (bear in mind 'WHT Staff' are limited in what they can do personally). This thread wouldn't exist if there wasn't an opportunity to make changes.

Surprised it's so quiet in here. If you don't speak up we'll assume everything is perfect?

The lack of a master reseller hosting forum is noticeable on WHT.
    Just my opinion and it doesn't mean we'll not consider it. This suggests we might also need one for alpha master reselling, super alpha master reselling. What about one for domain reselling etc? I can't see why a member can't simply search 'master' within the Reseller Offers Forum. I don't remember a single thread where somebody is looking for a master reseller account and hasn't been able to find one in the offers forum. Happy for you to direct me to some if I've overlooked them.

Well I would rather be able to post every 3 days in advertising section but I think the cost is too much for what you get

Why not allow better pricing and just exclude everything else other than being able to post every 3 days instead of 6 days (Premium). I do not think I would really use any of the other extras included in the Corporate plan to be honest.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

I haven't a clue on how to fix it but a large amount of the hosting service forums boil down to the following dialogue:

(Nothing is wrong with these companies - they seem great! I think everyone will get the gist)
    EIG sucks - use Stable Host, MDD Hosting, Host With Love, <insert one of 10 companies here>
    What's your budget?
    Thanks for choosing us!
    There is no such thing as unlimited!
    Perhaps having a sticky topic with some FAQ's might help curb the redundant answers and create some meaningful dialogue.
    Last edited by CodyRo; 02-01-2016 at 04:04 PM.
    Cody R.
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly Serving websites since 2004.
    Official Let's Encrypt Sponsor

I would like to be able to delete my own post if I am still within the editing time, so that I don't have to resort to this:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1547383

I agree with Cody. Get rid of the obvious bluff that people post. The problem and I assume this is why they allow it is that WHT has been on a decrease in traffic/users for years now and the people who add those bluff messages are the only "real" people left. If they stop that kind of communication, the forum will be dead.

Another thing, which I'm sure will not be a topic to be discussed here is selective moderation. I personally feel that we should get rid of all of the current moderators and get new blood in here. I can't count how many times I've opened up tickets about posts that shouldn't be allowed and my helpdesk tickets sit there for months, if not 1+ year... just because nobody wants to do anything about it.

If they don't agree with my report, they should say that and we can talk about it. Obviously ignoring helpdesk tickets is a joke and shows that some people are treated differently than others.

#theend

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow_Chris View Post
    Well I would rather be able to post every 3 days in advertising section but I think the cost is too much for what you get
    You just opened up a whole new line of conversation. What would make corporate membership 'worth it'?

Quote Originally Posted by CodyRo View Post
    I haven't a clue on how to fix it but a large amount of the hosting service forums boil down to the following dialogue:

Perhaps having a sticky topic with some FAQ's might help curb the redundant answers and create some meaningful dialogue.
    What would you put in a sticky/announcement/notice that helps with this?

Quote Originally Posted by zobe View Post
    I would like to be able to delete my own post if I am still within the editing time, so that I don't have to resort to this:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1547383
    Fair enough. It is however *very rare* that somebody will want to delete their post within the 15 min window. Not sure it's really going to help many people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    This suggests we might also need one for alpha master reselling, super alpha master reselling
    No this doesn't suggest that, not in my opinion. You have a forum for web hosting. Why do you have different forums for VPS/Reseller/Cloud? A user could also search using the term 'VPS hosting', for example. I am just saying that to explain the impression of your logic of not having a master reseller forum. Currently when a user searches using master reseller, tons of other threads come up and really that becomes tough to find the actual thread. If want to have a look again, just go to reseller forum/offer forum, type master reseller and see what comes up.

Like other shared hosting products, master reseller hosting is also a product used by many with satisfaction and offered by some good hosts. Like cloud/VPS there are right tools to manage and offer master reseller hosting while for alpha or super alpha, I am yet to see the right tools and methods or a host offering that with customer satisfaction.

Alphas are scams while master is not. It helps people who don't want to learn the skillet required to run a server/vps. I can go on, but my suggestion was based on how we can make WHT better. By that, I meant ease of use, and definitely that will improve if you have a dedicated forum for master reseller.

There is no such thing as unlimited!
    If anyone is bluffing it's the ones offering it. I am not blaming anyone here, rather trying to explain why offering unlimited hurts the industry as a whole. It tells a client when they come to know that 'unlimited' is not really unlimited, they get an impression that it's normal that hosts will lie when they sell something. In my opinion, it should be banned from offering. Look at the impressions EIG hosts are offering now. They are just greedy and offer anything to clients for the sake of more sale!
    Last edited by MechanicWeb-shoss; 02-01-2016 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    You just opened up a whole new line of conversation. What would make corporate membership 'worth it'?
    Well Premium membership costs around $50/year and so it works out at around $4.15/month to be able to create ads 1 day sooner. Times that by 4 and it costs around $16.60/month (or $199.20/year) to be able to post ads every 3 days like you can with Corporate membership. I would much prefer to be able to just pay around $16.60/month (or 199.20/year) or even better and offers 2 months free when paying yearly which would work out to around $166/year but I would settle for paying around $199.20/year if the 2 months free was pushing it.

I think I have worked that out correctly

Maybe just allow members to pay extra on top of Premium fee to be able to post ads more regularly as opposed to messing around with the Corporate plan which includes everything.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Maybe just allow members to pay extra on top of Premium fee to be able to post ads more regularly as opposed to messing around with the Corporate plan which includes everything.
    +1 for this

I think the issue some have with Master Reseller is that it not how cPanel/WHM works by default and is not officially supported by cPanel/WHM (you have to use plugins for it to work) and so I can see why many do not think it is right to create a forum just for Master Reseller as offering that is done by a plugin afterall. You could end up with categories for RVSiteBuilder Hosting, Softaculous Hosting well not quite like that but you get my point. On the fence with that one at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by stablehost View Post
    ....ignoring helpdesk tickets is a joke
    +1 for that

You could end up with categories for RVSiteBuilder Hosting, Softaculous Hosting well not quite like that but you get my point. On the fence with that one at the moment.
    No, it's not like that. It's about having wrong impressions of what a master reseller hosting is. Like you said, you compared it to wordpress/softaculous hosting. There are differences in the core. Like the ability to create WHM plans.

Why not just buy Corporate to make it easier?

No, it's not like that. It's about having wrong impressions of what a master reseller hosting is. Like you said, you compared it to wordpress/softaculous hosting. There are differences in the core. Like the ability to create WHM plans.
    Could maybe add subforum under Reseller but I have saw so many negative threads created due to customer not being happy with provider in the past, which I think 90% of the time was caused by the provider running Master Reseller platform, and so I would not recommend anyone use it and nor would I use it myself. There are plenty of providers at WHT who do not offer Master Reseller e.g InnoHosting and I think one of the reasons they hardly have any negative reviews is because they run the best tried and tested platform like the majority of the popular providers at WHT. Yet check providers who offer Master Reseller and you will see far more unhappy customers who are using it. That's what I have found anyway. No doubt there are several who may offer good Master Reseller service but I do not know of any, but then I have not been at WHT much lately so what do I know...

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse View Post
    Why not just buy Corporate to make it easier?
    Haha I just checked and see $450.00 every 3 months which is $150/month and so works out cheaper ... has the price changed!? I thought it used to be a lot more expensive than that

But I would rather pay $199/year than $150/month to be able to just post every 3 days.
    Last edited by HostXNow; 02-01-2016 at 05:07 PM. Reason: additional info

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast