hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Advertising Forums : Employment Offers & Requests : Employment / Job Offers : Have I been robbed?

Forum Jump

Have I been robbed?

Reply Post New Thread In Employment / Job Offers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2003, 02:47 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Have I been Duped?

Last edited by Bojangles; 06-11-2003 at 05:25 PM.

Notice to Consumers
Thread Summary Please be aware that every offer has limits beyond what is displayed in the thread. You should visit the site advertising and read any Terms of Service or Acceptable Use Policy they have in place. If you can't find answers on how they measure what you're purchasing, ask. If the offer or request doesn't regard some type of hosting, you still need to research beyond what’s printed in the ad.
  • Research any provider to know what limits are in place, especially with any offer concerning disk space and/or bandwidth. These are generally defined in the TOS or AUP.
  • Read provider reviews. If you find no reviews, create a thread and ask for others' first-hand experience with the provider.
  • If you're unsure on the exact details of an offer - ask. Simply respond to this thread and ask the provider for clarification.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2003, 02:57 PM
Web Hosting Master

Looks as if you may have been. Any word from that company yet?

Old 06-11-2003, 03:15 PM
WHT Addict

Find a designer and/or programer and stick to them if they do the job right

I've got some spare time on my hands, I could help you out for free if you still need it.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2003, 03:26 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

i can't design well, i can program what u need though. I can make you the whole website for free. I would just like credit on the site heh :-). I would also like to be apart of this since my father died i know it's NOTHING like a child, but still i would love to do this...

PLEASE contact me at aim at geosters
or msn at geosters@geosters.com

Thanx :-)

Old 06-11-2003, 03:37 PM
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by geosters
i can't design well, i can program what u need though.
I think installing a good content management system should suffice.

It would be a lot faster then custom programming everything Being delayed 2 times and for over a month is too long to wait.

Old 06-11-2003, 05:32 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Iam very busy atm but i might be able to help out as well. So if i find some time i can prob help daniel and geosters out on designing free of charge.

Old 06-11-2003, 06:25 PM
Web Hosting Master

it sucks that there are really some shady people on these forums. I bought forums for alot of money here a while back and the guy promised me vbulletin and then took off and left no contact.... I know how it feels

Old 06-11-2003, 06:58 PM
Web Hosting Master

Hey, is it "interneat" that robbed you?

Old 06-11-2003, 07:05 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Don't worry about it

Hi there

It seems that this company has now refunded the money.

So it has held me back but there you are thats life. I am disheartened about it but thats life I suppose.

I have put an update here

Scroll down to see it

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...39#post1218639

Last edited by Bojangles; 06-11-2003 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:08 PM
Web Hosting Master

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to get the story straightened out here. I think the fact that this person has had several designers "before" me for this "same" project pretty much speaks for itself. This client should be AVOIDED at all costs, do not sell yourselves out for $50 or $100 (whatever he's offering now). The impatience of this person, and the disrespect he shows for his designers he is not just throwing around the "customer is always right" slogan, he has it tattoo'ed on his forehead. Seeing that this was a charity website, we offered him a service we'd normally charge nearly 5x over, and he still showed no appreciation for our help.

We, like any other designer on these forums can probably relate to, do not like to work under the shotgun (aka: babysitting the designer during the project's development). I'm not just talking about "Keep me updated when you have something to show me", I'm talking about us firmly saying

"We will email you when we have a first draft to show you"

He expects you to be working 24 hours a day on his project, and when he comes to you looking for an update, you better have it, or he might just threaten to get a refund from your transaction provider if you don't get cracking.

This is a 3 week project, and we get started on it immediately. Next day, he emails me for an update, we tell him the design is coming along nicely, should have something to show him shortly. Next day, he emails me for an update again, and reminds me of the deadline (2 weeks, 5 days left). I appologize because I didn't get a chance to work on the design the last night, we had work to do for some of our other clients. He absolutely flips out, and tells us he does not want his site to be put on the back-burner. It's the biggest overeaction I'd ever seen one of my clients have, especially since our office hours were sent to them at the beginning of the project (9-5pm, 6 days a week), and we weren't even supposed to be working that night.

Philip (Bojangles) then demands to see the website up and running for him to see, which we accomodated immediately. He was impressed with the design, and we began working on the script-side of the website on our intranet. He was not happy that he could not see the scripts being uploaded, which was not possible due to the fact that he did not provide us with a server in which to test, so we improvised, and installed it on our intranet for testing purposes as we developed them.

Any designer thinking about taking on this project, beware. Unless you like being whipped, save yourselves the trouble. We have over 100 active clients, and have never had one complaint with our deadlines, quality of work, customer service and overall satisfaction until we met Philip. Our reputation has been harmed because of this individual's chronic impatience.

Oh, and Philip, our company policy regarding email conversations are clearly written in the footer of all of our outgoing emails. If you have, or plan to send any of our correspondance to a third party, be prepared to face the consequences of your actions. (excerpt is below)
Quote:
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are requested to contact the sender by return email and permanently delete all material upon receipt.

Old 06-12-2003, 03:24 AM
WHT Addict

I don't know what to think about all this internet drama... My offer still stands, if you need help I will help.

Hey interneat,

Do you mind if I copy that disclaimer for my emails? Better safe then sorry

Old 06-12-2003, 04:11 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Laughable

First and foremost Interneat (Matt) why don't you be honest here seems you are trying to do some kind of damage limitation exercise and put the blame on somebody else now that I have brought it to the attention of other WHT users .

Did you ever hear the saying once bitten twice shy? well understand that you are on the other side of the world and since I had been bitten once I was trying to make sure that you were doing as you said you were doing. Plus I only ever sent you two emails up and too last night (GMT Time) which Like i said I am happy to send to anybody who wants a copy with headers. Better still here are copys of emails sent to Matt

----- Original Message -----
To: matt.durrant@interneat.ca
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2003 7:40 PM
Subject: Child rememberance

FIRST EMAIL
Hello

The reason for this email is to find out exactly where we are with this website

Seems not a lot has been done to it over the past while this makes me worried very worried.

We now only have one week left of our original agreed time scale and there still seems to be a lot to do.

I need some kind of update here and see some serious action as well.

Yours

Philip

Second Email
Dear Sirs

Despite various emails being sent to you I note that you have not responded.

Therefore please take notice that if I have not heard from you and work that you have been paid for completed by June 14th then I will have no other option but to ask paypal for a refund of all monies paid to you so far.

As you are aware there was an agreed timescale for this project, the fact that you are no longer answering my emails or doing the work requested to completion so far alarms and disappoints me.

Yours

Philip

PS: Please find copy of email sent to you previously which has not yielded any response.

Now that is the only two emails that were sent up and to last night (gmt time)

Yes I did speak with Matt in MSN messenger wanting to know how they were getting on. Then Matt had not logged into messenger for well over a week this is what prompted the above emails. If you think that is me nagging fine we are all allowed our own thoughts on what nagging is and isn't.
Quote:
He was not happy that he could not see the scripts being uploaded, which was not possible due to the fact that he did not provide us with a server
As for not giving you the details to put the scripts on my friends server I find that statement amazing because I don't remember you asking for them and I brought the subject up in an email to you just last night (GMT Time) I said to you and I quote
Quote:
Now let me address the fact that you are doing all this on your intranet. Would it not be better to upload these scripts on the server where they will be running from ?
Another quoted from Matt
Quote:
We were doing you a favor by offering this website to you for a fraction of our normal cost, and although we offered lower-end graphic design to it because of the cost, it was still an incredible deal.
I put this project up on these forums you applied and agreed to do the job nowhere did you say well since it is for charity and the fact you can only pay $100 we are going to given you a lesser quality website which is what you are implying in your email that I have quoted above. I am sure that anybody who offers to help me now that you have retracted your offer will want to give the project 100% and would not use as you put it lower end graphics. It seems to me that as you state you were doing lower end graphics despite the fact you knew the full details when you responded to my original post just emphasis the fact that you were not going to do your best or were not fully committed to this project in the first place. You were not doing me any favors you were working for an agreed fee.

So Matt don't come in here and try and make it out that this was all my fault you failed to communicate with me on a regular basis and I got worried which anybody would do and as for your statement about copying your emails, that statement is on the bottom of two emails between us from last night (gmt time) and it is from one of them that carries the quote I have posted above which I take as a damage limitation exercise. And to be honest I don't care about your statements you failed to keep your word you failed to communicate hence the emails above that I sent you.

I have been using these forums a lot longer than you and have worked with many good people from them hence why I keep my faith when I come across people who seem to not be what they really are. You have set the project back now by at least two months thanks for wasting both of our times.
Quote:
be prepared to face the consequences of your actions.
Matt do not ever threaten me I live in Northern Ireland and have had worse threats than yours. The fact that I am trying to help somebody worse off than myself (and spend my own money into the bargain) should be testament to the kind of person I am

This will be all I have to say on this subject. As I am aware that the moderators will not want this raging on. Thank you to the Moderators for letting me put my side of the story and to set the record straight.

Last edited by Bojangles; 06-12-2003 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:32 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Wow. This is a juicy thread. :>

Old 06-12-2003, 08:15 AM
Web Hosting Master

Hey Philip,

It's very interesting that in the your copy of the first email that you sent you say:

" Despite various emails"

Huh, I wonder what that's all about. You were shown the product, you liked and we continued on with scripting. You gave us a deadline we were going to meet, but....

Second of all, the thread header : " Have I been Robbed?" - You had your full refund to this project before we even cancelled the project with you so don't come in here and try to make it look like we held back from you and tried to steal your money. You're absolutely amazing! We didn't know they're were people like you around here especially ones that were looking for help.

Anyways like we said to you before good luck with another designer hopefully they can put up with you.

Old 06-12-2003, 08:43 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Can you not read?

Hello Matt

The various emails are posted above what can you not read would you like the headers?

And also if you read carefully you will see that I said that you had refunded the money plus I made that post before you even logged in and made contact with me look at the time it was posted at then check the times we started emailing each other last night, considering I had not heard from you in a long time (well what I consider a long time)

Quote:
You're absolutely amazing! We didn't know they're were people like you around here especially ones that were looking for help.
Definition of HELP
verb 1abet, advise, aid, assist, back, befriend, boost, collaborate with, contribute to, cooperate with, encourage, facilitate, forward, further the interests of, give a hand, lend a hand, profit, promote, prop up, rally round, serve, side with, spoon-feed, stand by, subsidize, archaic or formal succour, support, take pity on. 2avail, be useful to, serve. 3alleviate, benefit, cure, ease, improve, lessen, make easier, relieve, remedy.

People like me that pay a deposit to somebody halfway across the world that I have some contact with then no contact whatsoever then I send various emails and get no reply then I get worried and try to find out whats happening and you think there is something wrong in that . Have I lost the plot here?

Sorry Mods but this guy really takes the biscut as they say.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted