Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's your recommendation for a 1Gbps hardware firewall?

Hi

I am looking to purchase a hardware firewall to be strictly used for web hosting business. It needs to support 1Gbps uplink throughput. It would be a bonus if it has two WAN links for load balancing and fail-over (planning for future but that's not a immediate requirement).

What's your recommendation? $2000 max budget for it. Obviously reliability is top priority based on its intended usage as I don't want to keep rebooting it every few days or occur a lot of downtime because of it.

Thanks!
    Last edited by BoomHost-Kumar; 11-27-2015 at 03:46 PM.

Juniper SRX210 for example, I would recommend to take the high memory version (H or H2)

SRX220 has 8 GigE ports; http://www.amazon.com/Juniper-SRX220.../dp/B0046SMVXQ

Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedXL View Post
    Juniper SRX210 for example, I would recommend to take the high memory version (H or H2)

Thanks for the suggestion. I will keep that as an option.

I forgot to mention in my original post that whatever the hardware firewall recommended here need to support *multiple* public IP addresses. Each server (behind the hardware firewall) will have one or more public IP addresses assigned to it. There will be no private IP to public IP NATing required.

Having said that, I also came across PFSense SG-2440 and SG4860 - https://www.pfsense.org/products/

Do web hosts normally make use of such open source code powered hardware firewalls?

Peplink is built exactly the reason of balancing multiple WAN uplinks and firewalling. The servers behind the router can have multiple IP addresses -- no problem. These also do Authoritative DNS and hands out which WAN IP makes the most sense (ie, is up and under loaded).

So here's the conundrum... you want redundancy hence the reason for multiple WANs. Well having one router is a single point of failure. The mid to high end Peplinks offer VRRP, Virtual Routing Protocol, which allow two routers to be placed in an active / standby relationship. So no more single point of failure.

These do require a switch to be placed on the LAN side. This creates another single point of failure, which can be eliminated with a set of stackable switches.

The Peplink 305 is around $1700. It supports 1GB throughput.

Stacking switches from netgear cost around $280 w/lifetime warranty.

Here's a link to Peplink lineup: http://www.peplink.com/products/bala...el-comparison/

Thanks for the Peplink recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgin View Post

So here's the conundrum... you want redundancy hence the reason for multiple WANs. Well having one router is a single point of failure. The mid to high end Peplinks offer VRRP, Virtual Routing Protocol, which allow two routers to be placed in an active / standby relationship. So no more single point of failure.
    You're right! But, on my original post I actually meant to say failover for the actual WAN connections (meaning if one provider's link goes down the other link continues to work, hence the reason for two WAN links). I didn't mean failover for the device itself.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgin View Post
    These do require a switch to be placed on the LAN side. This creates another single point of failure, which can be eliminated with a set of stackable switches.
    For my scenario I am not liking this idea for some reason...I prefer a device like Juniper (above recommended) where it has certain number of built-n LAN 1Gbps ports on the same device.

My background is in primarily managing ASA devices and I prefer that way but unfortunately it is little too pricey for the 1Gbps model they offer. So, far Juniper and PFSense sound promising to me and I am sure single WAN connection port will do for now.

Alan Woo, alan [@] ne.com.sg
    = NewMedia Express Pte Ltd (AS38001)
    = IP Transit, Colocation & Dedicated Servers in Singapore | Hong Kong | Tokyo | Seoul | Jakarta |
    = Singapore Speedtest speedtest.sg

Take a look to Mikrotik Cloudcore routers, they can do BGP and many others cool things.

Quote Originally Posted by RONIS View Post
    Take a look to Mikrotik Cloudcore routers, they can do BGP and many others cool things.
    It looks cool but does it also have firewall capability? Hard to tell as there is hardly any mention of it. I am looking at their CCR1009-8G-1S-1S+ model. Also, I have no idea how easy/complicated it is to setup and maintain...as I never worked with it before. Also getting proper online support (forums, etc) is critical these days to get advise and troubleshoot issues but that doesn't look promising with "microtik" devices in today's market.

Any router can do routing.
    Mikrotik has many features including including management tools (web/cli/mgnt software), take a look by yourself. I don't know any router that beats Mikrotik price/performance.
    http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:RouterOS_features
    http://forum.mikrotik.com/

Cisco ASA 5508-X and Watchguard XTM 515 could be a good options in your price range.

I second the Mikrotik. I have used them for many years now and for the price and performance you can't beat them. They have forums and there is companies out there that do tech support for them. I currently have 2 Mikrotik routers stacked in failover setup. If one router fails the other will take over with VRRP. They have a full firewall that you should be able to do anything you want with it. There is no issues with setting up multiple BGP sessions for load balancing or redundancy.
    HostGo Hosting | High Performance Cloud Hosting since 1999
    24x7x365 US Based Concierge Support for Web Designers and Developers
    Shared | VPS | Reseller | Dedicated | Domains | SSL Certificates | Office 365 | Cloud Backup
    cPanel | Cloud Linux | Managed Servers | Managed WordPress | Web Application Firewall

A few of my customers are using vyOS (Vyatta Fork).
    LionLink Networks
    Ashburn Data Center Colocation, Infrastructure Solutions, and Premium Optimized Connectivity
    Infrastructure and Colocation Solutions For All Sizes - Managed Services - Dedicated Servers - Data Center Consulting - Now POP'd @ RagingWire! | www.lionlink.net | sales@lionlink.net | (844) DATA-CENTER | Ashburn Colocation

1 word - SOPHOS. Cannot go wrong here. We've had multiple in production environment, and never had issues.

They have a great software and very high limitations. Their licensing is also very financially viable compared to other alternatives. When we find products/solutions that work well, then we reccommend it to everyone. That's when you know a company does a good job, when the clients are spreading the word by choice.

They have various devices in their product line depending on the sizing you require. Their product line is EASILY able to handle what you described. As a matter of fact, their top device has a 60GBPS firewall throughtput.

http://www.firewalls.com/sophos-utm-...Fc4XHwodX1EOdg

11gbps throughtput.

Note: I am not in any way associated with firewalls.com or Sophos.

Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedXL View Post

The SRX units are awesome, I have a ton of these deployed and they are rock solid and very flexible.

Just keep in mind that the SRX210 and SRX220 cannot handle line-rate 1Gbps IMIX traffic. Large packets no issue, but real world traffic the SRX210 supports 250Mbps throughput and SRX220 300Mbps.

The SRX550 is the first device in the SRX line that advertises IMIX processing of higher than 1Gbps. The SRX240 is a great unit and with some tweaks can easily handle the 1Gbps of traffic (rated at 600Mbps natively).

-Daniel
    Daniel | Server Complete, LLC
    INSTANTLY DEPLOYED Bare Metal Servers
    Wholly owned hardware and self operated network (AS19531) in Jacksonville, FL

Quote Originally Posted by lionlink-dot-net View Post
    A few of my customers are using vyOS (Vyatta Fork).
    VyOS is a good option but I haven't seen many appliances with it. If i'm not mistaken, VyOS is based on the open source version of Vyatta or the "Community Edition" and not the Enterprise version so that is something to also think about if you elect VyOS.

We prefer Juniper but that is because Juniper makes up most of our networking. You can't go wrong with Cisco either.

I can't speak to Sophos as we have never used any of their security appliances.
    Cloud Mosaic by NortheBridge
    High Performance Global Cloud | Contact Us: hello@northebridge.com
    Apps & Stacks: WordPress | Magento | Drupal | Ghost | Redmine | LAMP
    Node.js | Gitlab | MEAN | Nginx | Django | cPanel | Plesk | Windows & Linux

Please note that throughput is not the same as routing performance. Router Performance is measured in Packets Per Second (PPS).

quote from other network-related forum:
    This is commonly misunderstood, the performance difference between the interface and the device.

The interface has dedicated hardware that can transmit or receive the L2 frame at wire-speed. I.e. an Ethernet gig interface can transmit or receive an individual frame at gig.

Often an interface might have additional hardware, that it can send or receive multiple frames, back-to-back, at full wire-speed too.

However, on software based routers, the main CPU normally needs to "process" the packets, and depending on how fast a processor it has, it can only process packets at some maximum rate. You'll normally see this listed as packets-per-second (PPS) for different packet sizes. (NB: in olden times, often rate was quoted for maximum sized packets, now it's generally quoted for minimum sized packets.)

Often the performance of a small router cannot substain an interface continuously running at wire speed.

Some thing else to understand, processing a packet is somewhat independent of its size. So you'll also find a software based router's capability to pass packets at a certain "bandwidth" decreases as the frame/packet size decreases and conversely increases as the frame/packet size increases. (NB: as noted earlier, this is why bandwidth throughput used to be quoted for maximum size packets, bandwidth throughput performance looked much, much better on marketing literature.)

If you're wondering why have interfaces that support much higher "bandwidths" than the router itself can, there's are several reasons. First, individual frames/packets have less serialization delay. Second, vendors probably treat some hardware components as commodities, i.e. it's less expensive to use the same interface hardware on multiple routers. Third, it looks better in the marketing literature (i.e. two gig interfaces rather than two 10 Mbps interfaces).

Quote Originally Posted by RONIS View Post
    Please note that throughput is not the same as routing performance. Router Performance is measured in Packets Per Second (PPS).

quote from other network-related forum:
    Ofcourse. Some of the data specs can be very misleading. Some appliances have a throughput of 40gbps, but based on PPS they will only be able to handle 10. Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by winman View Post
    It needs to support 1Gbps uplink throughput.
    You may also consider defining your VPN throughput requirements. e.g., Newer Cisco lower end models have GB interface but VPN throughput is quite limited.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions! I will do some further research on all of the suggested make/model.

Quote Originally Posted by kd_ca View Post
    You may also consider defining your VPN throughput requirements. e.g., Newer Cisco lower end models have GB interface but VPN throughput is quite limited.
    I am not concerned about the VPN throughput as I will not be using it in this particular setup.

Two pieces of Allied Telesis AT-AR4050S running in a active/passive cluster will cost you ~1400$

Look at Ubiquiti EdgeRouter, Fortigate (models 60D+) and the new Sonicwalls (model TZ400+)... there is a real lack of inexpensive firewalls that can handle 1gbps connections at the moment...
    Silicon Servers: Server Colocation in New York City and New Jersey http://www.siliconservers.com

Is your gigabit connection going to be fiber? Because most of these firewalls have copper gigabit ports; manufacturers seem reluctant to provide SFP ports. I see many of the same copper interface offerings from a decade ago!

For the Peplink, you've got to spring for the highest model (2500) to get an SFP. Sophos--you'll have to climb to the 310. pfSense--no fiber options at all. (Of course you can use a converter, but you'd be adding another point of failure.)

The Juniper takes fiber as does the Allied Telesis--this is a neat one, haven't seen this one before, so I'm printing the data sheet on it right now.
    EndOffice, LLC
    www.endoffice.com
    sales[at]endoffice[dot]com; (855) 670-9191
    Colocation and dedicated servers since 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by at0m View Post
    Is your gigabit connection going to be fiber? Because most of these firewalls have copper gigabit ports; manufacturers seem reluctant to provide SFP ports. I see many of the same copper interface offerings from a decade ago!

For the Peplink, you've got to spring for the highest model (2500) to get an SFP. Sophos--you'll have to climb to the 310. pfSense--no fiber options at all. (Of course you can use a converter, but you'd be adding another point of failure.)

The Juniper takes fiber as does the Allied Telesis--this is a neat one, haven't seen this one before, so I'm printing the data sheet on it right now.
    No, the gigabit isn't going to be fiber. I don't need the SFP option.

Allied Telesis looks interesting to me as well but I am little reluctant to use it in a production environment (I haven't seen this one before either and know nothing about it).

Quote Originally Posted by winman View Post
    No, the gigabit isn't going to be fiber. I don't need the SFP option.

Allied Telesis looks interesting to me as well but I am little reluctant to use it in a production environment (I haven't seen this one before either and know nothing about it).

Which firewall did you end up choosing?
    EndOffice, LLC
    www.endoffice.com
    sales[at]endoffice[dot]com; (855) 670-9191
    Colocation and dedicated servers since 2006.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast