Concerned about weird/random links in our backlink profile

Hi, so for the first time, we checked our backlink profile.

We don't "build" links. The only marketing we do is some media interviews, a few Youtube videos, and posts on Google + and LinkedIn.

All other links to our site were done....somehow. Our thinking is that some sort of web scrapers are finding our site and linking to it. A good example is that we found we are listed in several online directories that have nothing to do with what we actually do. We think it was an automated bot or something.

I remember earlier this year, we got written up by a technology news site, and through Google Alerts, started seeing our name mentioned by other websites (especially from Russian, Chinese and just weird websites). They had copied the original tech article word for word (hence, copied the link to our website), and it was showing up!

I didn't think much about it at the time, but after finally looking at all the links to our site (not that many in the grand scheme of things), found there are some links that we have no idea where they came from.

Could this hurt us? We've read about disavowing links, but we try to run our company above-board, and it just feels like submitting 'bad' links to Google or other search engines is a dirty way to go. (We feel like we only do basic, honest marketing, yet get weird backlinks to our site, and don't want something we have no control over to hurt us)

Thank you!

Ryan

Hey Ryan,

I've seen these sites before and they are becoming more prevalent. As you mentioned, they seem to be some kind of scrapers. I wouldn't worry about them as I haven't lost a site over them. And even if you get a manual review from google, there techs are usually smart enough to understand what they are.

Remove the unrelated links that affecting your site's performance in the web and not to worry about the duplicate content from other websites because Google already knew it.