hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Hosting complaints

Forum Jump

Hosting complaints

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2003, 01:50 PM

Hosting complaints

I have just come across this site and find it very interesting. I am amazed, however, at the number of complaints that are issued by subscribers about the quality of the service they receive from their hosting company. What amazes me is that this industry is being driven by companies offering cheapest, wholesale, etc and not by longevity, customer service, or experience.

When I buy something of importance, the price is a consideration, but never the primary motivator. I am amazed that people continue to look for the cheapest hosting company and then complain about the service or the fact that they do not return calls or go out of business.

Why assume that the old adage, "You get what you pay for"does not relate to hosting?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2003, 01:53 PM
Web Hosting Master

it does, but the simple fact is that a low price is very enticing for many people. sadly enough, a lot of ppl base their purchasing patterns on it. this isn't just localized to hosting, happens in just about any business.

Old 06-09-2003, 01:55 PM
Web Hosting Master

Re: Hosting complaints

Quote:
Originally posted by StuartG
I have just come across this site and find it very interesting. I am amazed, however, at the number of complaints that are issued by subscribers about the quality of the service they receive from their hosting company. What amazes me is that this industry is being driven by companies offering cheapest, wholesale, etc and not by longevity, customer service, or experience.

When I buy something of importance, the price is a consideration, but never the primary motivator. I am amazed that people continue to look for the cheapest hosting company and then complain about the service or the fact that they do not return calls or go out of business.

Why assume that the old adage, "You get what you pay for"does not relate to hosting?
Sounds like a paraphrased subset of my "in-work" sales brochure... You been peek'n over my shoulder, or something?   

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2003, 02:15 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
What amazes me is that this industry is being driven by companies offering cheapest, wholesale, etc and not by longevity, customer service, or experience.
It's more that the industry is being driven by customers requesting cheapest, wholsale etc.

And WHT is definatly not the industry. Once WHT becomes the industry I'll retire

Old 06-09-2003, 02:27 PM
Texas Female

Quote:

Experience is the best teacher..I think with hosting sales though the innocent client is just looking to get the most bang for the buck, so many fall for all the schemes that are out there, and then they come back to tell their horror story. One really needs to determine what their "website worth" is BEFORE purchasing.

Old 06-09-2003, 03:00 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Wow I wish more consumers were like you!
However, I think that with web hosting in particular, a lot of consumers are still so new to the Internet and don't clearly understand what web hosting is or what the differences really are between providers. Also, many of the cheap providers make claims about great customer service and quality technology, even if they can't back up that claim (I'm not making a blanket statement here). So sometimes the site owner thinks they are making a solid decision and end up learning the hard way.

All we can do is continue to strive for the best and educate the world.

Old 06-09-2003, 03:45 PM
Community Liaison

A lot of good comments have been given here. Unfortunatley, as long as the customers want 200 GB transfer for $10 per month, there will be a scammer willing to take advantage of them. I wish there was a better way to get the word out that those companies offering that type of package are nothing more than frauds. Sadly it seems this lesson is learned too late and we see them end up here with the story.

The thing that amazes me most is that I see some of those same individuals posting in the request forum for the exact same package they just got scammed on. At that point, I just have to wonder what is going through their mind.

And Pilgrim...I'm with you...

Old 06-09-2003, 04:15 PM
Web Hosting Master

Why is the web hosting industry so different than businesses in the real world?

In real world businesses, it takes a few hundred to several hundred thousand dollars to start even a small business. You can CLAIM to be a webhost if you have a place to upload a page and free access to the internet at the library or a friend's house.

Also claims are harder to writeoff as utter nonsense. A 12-yr. old might state in a post he owns a datacenter or has been in business 8 years and a potential customer might believe it. In the real world, everyone would just laugh at such claims.

Old 06-09-2003, 05:31 PM

Here's a good URL regarding this.....

http://www.unlimband.com/

Old 06-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Web Hosting Master

I don't know that I would say the industry is being driven by the cheapest, per se. This particular forum is really a microcosm in that regard. There are companies that are helping that perception by making it incredibly simple to "Start Your Own Hosting Business and Take Advantage of a $1.3 billion Market!" as I saw on one site, but in the end, the proof lies in who is still around one year, three years, or five years later, and who isn't. I believe the record I've seen for entrance into and exit from the hosting business is two months. Naturally, this was someone who stumbled into the business with no plan, no money, no experience, and really - given those items - no future. Unfortunately, it simply is not as easy for the consumer to gauge what is real ("we" have multiple redundant connections, this is "our" NOC, we are a "worldwide leader" in web hosting, etc.) and what is not (the NOC belongs to the upstream, the host just went into the business a month ago, etc.). That's where the strength of forums like this lies, if people are able to get past the 500 GB for $5 month offers.

Old 06-09-2003, 06:31 PM
ex-Aussie

I don't think it's driven by new customers very much - in fact I'd go as far to say that people new to the internet are possibly more likely to sign up at the more expensive, older styled web hosts - either via advertising links at major portals, or just due to the fact that in the real world products generally cost more than a burger and fries per month (or worse, per year).

While the customer's often the scapegoat in the bottom falling out of this industry, I'm more of the opinion it's the 'kids home on the weekend' web hosts that cause the problems, and the larger businesses that decide to try to match them.

Shared web hosting never makes a lot of profit per account - it's the number of accounts, over an extended period of time that makes or breaks your business.

I've never understood why anyone would want 1000 accounts at $2.95 a month, when 100 at $29.50 will generate the same gross profit, and quite probably take about the same time to generate (just an example).

Scraping out 5c or so a month per account after expenses (hidden and obvious) seems like a pretty crazy idea. You can flip burgers for better money and not have any of the added stress.

Old 06-10-2003, 01:57 AM
Junior Guru

There are certainly a large number of major hosts that focus more on the business client market. Typically, much of the advertising online is driven by budget hosts and this is why you may get a sense that they dominate the hosting market. Overall though, the vast majority of the 'hosting industry' from a revenue-standpoint is derived from higher-value shared hosting, and the dedicated/managed marketplace.

http://www.findyourhosting.com

Old 06-10-2003, 02:06 AM
Disabled

I can't speak for anyone else, but my site helps serve the public, free of charge, by providing them information, news, & open source downloads. So in the end, I don't make a dime on it.

I run it for the only reason, that a part of me finds some fun in running a site, getting to know new people, & learning more about the online sene.

However, because my site does bring in many users, it has become very costly at times & I for one, have gone out trying to find the best possible host, even know that may have cost me more. Sad to say, things didn't work out on one level or another or the cost of running a free public service just got more heavy on my check book, then I had first planed.

So as an end user... YES, I am going to try to find the cheapest host possible... However, I'm going to do so, carefully & hope that in doing so, I don't keep getting burned. I've also learned how to keep a site running, while using or needing as little as possible & this helps much, both with self support (as I'm use too) & in long term cost.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Automattic Joins with WordPress Users in Two DMCA Abuse Lawsuits Web Hosting News 2013-11-22 12:13:10
AWS Officially Wins $600M Cloud Computing Contract with CIA as IBM Withdraws Appeal Web Hosting News 2013-10-30 15:54:00
Fake Web Hosting Invoices Issued in BC, Canada Fraud Case Web Hosting News 2012-11-15 10:00:39
Texas Company Claims Web Encryption Infringes its Patent in Suit Against Intel, Yelp, Others Web Hosting News 2012-11-08 11:14:00
New Zealand Scammer to be Sentenced for Selling Web Hosting Business Three Times Web Hosting News 2012-09-04 17:01:20