Question Starting to look for an upgrade

We have had a server since 2005, first with ev1servers later bought by the planet. We then moved to iWeb.ca and since May 2012 we're on corespace with

Xeon QuadCore E5345 2.33GHz
    4 GB DDR2 Ram
    2x250 SATA Raid-1 sofware
    100 Mbps connection
    /29 IP
    Win 2003 x64 std

$80/month. this was a great price for above back in 2012.

The support for windows is over and an upgrade is past due. I am starting to look for an upgrade. Before, I think we were supposed to push the "find a host", fill out a form and get offers from there, but it seems there is no such option right now when I click it. Meanwhile I'm looking at the advertising forums and a lot of them are pre-configured servers with no option to change the packages. And what I'm thinking about right now is not usually in a budget server. Here are the options I'm thinking about:

/28 IP
    win 2012 x64 std
    8 HDD with Hardware Raid (4 x Raid 1)
    $80/month (or less)

Cores, Memory, space in each HD, Connection speed, I'm thinking of leaving that flexible and choose the best offer I get.

I'm thinking of using HD pairs for OS, Data, Logs and backups. Therefore need 4 separate disks. Hardware RAID to save CPU.

I was thinking about Hyper-V, but since that is restricted to 2 only, I will keep our virtuozzo vps (our own license).

Anything else I should think about? Would you think I would get any offers? What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutelyFreeWeb View Post
    /28 IP
    win 2012 x64 std
    8 HDD with Hardware Raid (4 x Raid 1)
    $80/month (or less)
    You're not going to find a server with 8 HDD's and a Windows 2012 licence for $80
    RDO Servers - Shared Hosting, Resellers, VPS, Dedicated Servers, & Secure Clusters
    Windows Hosting with Plesk Onyx - Linux Hosting with cPanel - LiteSpeed - CloudLinux - MariaDB
    Providing Excellent Hosting since 2009!

is that bc it needs 2U ?

Wish I could get that deal... $80 is a thing of the past it seems.

I don't know about that. Just look at this $10 dual core: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1522755
    Back in 2005 we were paying 3 digits for lesser of a server...

The problem with the ultra cheap servers that are out there now, is most of the time they are not configurable on adding additional drives and sometimes you can not even upgrade the ram. To get anything from any type of quality provider you will need to increase your price by a factor of about 3x.

Plus remember, the ultra cheaper servers are just that. Come with absolutely no tech support and most people even report issues with getting hardware issues reviewed by the Datacenter in a timely fashion.
    Tony Holloway
    Delivering Custom Hosting Solutions Since January 2004
    madRooster.com
    Fun Name ... Serious Solutions

OK I've figured this much now. I will use a win 2012 evaluation and buy the key. that eliminates they OS license. also don't need more than /29 right now, so can abandon that too. only need the HDs with an 8 port raid card.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutelyFreeWeb View Post
    OK I've figured this much now. I will use a win 2012 evaluation and buy the key. that eliminates they OS license. also don't need more than /29 right now, so can abandon that too. only need the HDs with an 8 port raid card.
    Probably an old post, but most providers should not allow that. It gets around their SPLA if they have one with MS.
    madgenius.com - S Corp. We are US based company.
    Web Hosting, Cloud VPS, and Dedicated Solutions since 1998
    Also offering custom solutions and automated provisioning for most services