Thread: wht search?

wht search?

is it just me, or does wht searching lag a fair amount?
    i just want to make sure it's not my internet connection or browser or something...i'll search for something and it will just sit there and time out...this happens the majority of times i search...and i just have to wait, and then i'll try again after a few minutes, until (sometimes) it finally goes through. is this normal or am i doing something wrong?
    (ps - trying to submit this post just timed out....hrm...)

I have never experienced this problem. I search about two times a day, so not sure if thats enough to actually be aware of any problems.
    I buy vBulletin licenses and vBSEO licenses!

hm. oh well. tried it in a different browser, same thing.
    my connection has been somewhat slow and intermittent since i'm far from my wireless router, but all other sites work fine...AND looking through the forums on wht works fine for me. just searching lags...

hm. oh well. tried it in a different browser, same thing.
    my connection has been somewhat slow and intermittent since i'm far from my wireless router, but all other sites work fine...AND looking through the forums on wht works fine for me. just searching lags...(make that, just running scripts where i submit text lags...)

edit: sorry for duplicate, guess it was posted, even though it timed out the first time. heh
    Last edited by noj; 06-07-2003 at 11:20 AM.

Yes it does lag sometimes. It took me about 6 tries earlier to get a successful search. But has been fine since. Just keep trying is the best advice

Edit: This timed out too when I hit submit.

This post just showed one reply and 21 reviews but there i like 4 post in here lol.
    http://www.3nom.com
    Quality Hosting For Your Needs.
    sales@3nom.com

Yes that is because of the timeout

The search function is VERY database intensive, especially with how large the searchindex was ( It took over 20 hours just to rebuild it ) If say you and a few other people are searching at the same time, you're taxing the database pretty hard and it'll take a bit to complete your query, and before it finishes your browser times out. ( Even though the query will still finish in the background ) And then you go re-search because of the timeout, while the other query may still be running, adding further load. It can be a very taxing cycle.

is there a way i can set the timeout in certain browsers to be longer?

Also, besides the timeout error, I'll get this error:
    Could not open the page ?http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php? because Safari could not load any data for this location.

WebDev?
    Just noticed the per-page search results for me are now 15, when they had been 25 just this morning. Is this related somehow to trying to ease the 'crunch'?

Originally posted by bear
    WebDev?
    Just noticed the per-page search results for me are now 15, when they had been 25 just this morning. Is this related somehow to trying to ease the 'crunch'?
    Yep, tweaking settings a bit. It seems like more and more people are searching more and faster lately and it's reflecting to the server. This morning alone on one of the three web servers there were 12,092 hits to search.php. It used to be around 3,000-4,000 a day.

Thanks...does seem to be responding a tad faster right now. Must be helping some.

hmmm never happened to me before...

Yep, tweaking settings a bit. It seems like more and more people are searching more and faster lately and it's reflecting to the server. This morning alone on one of the three web servers there were 12,092 hits to search.php. It used to be around 3,000-4,000 a day.
    Do you use mean WHT use three web servers ?
    If so, how can that be done?
    Quote, "Google is your best friend!"

Originally posted by Darktwist
    Do you use mean WHT use three web servers ?
    If so, how can that be done?
    3 servers, identical content, unique IPs hooked up to a hardware load balance with the public IP, it divvies the traffic between the 3 servers.