Geography and backups...

My main server is currently at RackShack. Seeing charles' offer in the special offers forum for a server at Affordableservers.net, I'm tempted to get one for a monthly backup server and also secondary DNS. But, the close geographical distance makes me think I shouldn't and should probably go with a secondary backup server further away. Or is that silly?

I'm surprised no one has any thoughts... maybe it's a stupid question?

Since my main server is at RackShack (Houston, Texas) do you think a server at affordableservers.net/affordablecolo.com (Dallas, Texas) is an ok idea to hold data backups as well as for secondary dns?

Or is it important to look for a backup server in another state in case of natural disasters, etc?

I'd say try to get something in another state.

Thanks for the reply JT.

Why not? As long as they are on different networks.....

Well if your data is that important than you should backup your stuff somewhere else in the states or europe or sth.
    Otherwise there shouldn't be any problems i'd say. As microsol said, as long they'r on different networks...
    In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Perfectly ok

Texas is a big state. Dallas and Houston are quite a distance apart (240 miles) and would be very unlikely to experience the same "natural disaster." In fact, there may be significant advantages to you as the connectivity between the two locations should be excellent.

stupid..... heh....