Thread: Load balancing?

Load balancing?

The users on my site from Europe experience 2-3 second load times due to our only server being in Canada. I want to look into getting another server in Europe somewhere. Are any of you aware of any (somewhat) easy load balancing services? Perhaps some company that will manage the tech stuff for me or something? I'm expecting to have to just set up load balancing myself and I'm okay with that but I'm just reaching out to see if there are any easy services or anything with decent prices.

Also another problem im facing is DB stuff. Our DB server is also in Canada (same datacenter) so I'm not sure how big the latency would be between the Europe server and the DB server. Do you think it would be bad? Looking for a server in France or something. Are there any ways I could host a second DB server in France and have it "sync" with the Canada DB server?

Relatively new to server stuff I guess, but looking to learn. Thanks for the help!

- Sean

I would check Linode on this if you want to do load balancing :-)

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    I would check Linode on this if you want to do load balancing :-)
    I'm already with a decent host that I like a lot though.

Just looking for like host unspecific load balancing stuff I guess.

Did you try putting your website behind a service such as cloudflare or incapsula? They would cache all of your static content and serve it from the closest server to your clients around the world.

You can also try finding a location in the US for your server which has better latency to Europe.

If your website is actively relaying on the database to function then it's no easy task balancing it on two continents... so I'd suggest looking into the above mentioned alternatives first.
    Uptime Monitor - Minimize your downtime by being the first to know about it!

Blacklist Monitor - Are any of your IPs or Domains blacklisted? Find out before it gets to affect you or your clients.

Hello,

If you want your customer to have a fair response time in europe yeah you should clone of your plateform somewhere in europe.
    To secure datasyncing you should setup a vpn between canada servers and europe servers.
    If you do not feel at ease with the configuration you should look for a company offering "managed servers".
    [Ikoula]Dedicated Servers, VPS And SSD Public Cloud [1st on Performance Cloud]
    French, English and Spanish language phone and mail support
    Datacenters in France, US, Singapour and Germany.
    Follow us on Twitter | Like us onFacebook

Hello,

I agree that CloudFlare or similar services might be your easiest way to handle this. However, if you didn't want to look into these, then you might look for a simple server that you can setup load balancing between. Varnish is commonly used to handle this, and is fairly easy to configure with examples all over the web.

As for your DB server, you could handle this one of two ways: 1: You can setup a database replication, where your database will exist in both locations and have the information being constantly synced between the two. This, however may not be the easiest or best option. 2. You can have the European server only handle the web side, and make the DB calls back to your server in Canada. The DB calls will be a bit slower, but if it is only used for ordering or logging in (don't know your site type) then that might not be a big deal. Just be sure to increase timeout values on all the appropriate areas.
    InMotion Hosting
    Dedicated Servers with Solid State Drives
    Business Hosting | VPS | Reseller | Dedicated Servers
    Call Us: 888-321- 4678 | Chat with an Expert

Quote Originally Posted by InMotion_Hosting View Post
    Hello,

I agree that CloudFlare or similar services might be your easiest way to handle this. However, if you didn't want to look into these, then you might look for a simple server that you can setup load balancing between. Varnish is commonly used to handle this, and is fairly easy to configure with examples all over the web.

As for your DB server, you could handle this one of two ways: 1: You can setup a database replication, where your database will exist in both locations and have the information being constantly synced between the two. This, however may not be the easiest or best option. 2. You can have the European server only handle the web side, and make the DB calls back to your server in Canada. The DB calls will be a bit slower, but if it is only used for ordering or logging in (don't know your site type) then that might not be a big deal. Just be sure to increase timeout values on all the appropriate areas.
    My site actively makes DB calls on every page load so It looks like I'll have to sync the database between the two servers. How would I go about doing this? I can easily load balance the site. I'm also currently running CloudFlare.

If you are using MySQL, you will have re-install MySQL with their Cluster Version. From there you can setup clustering to sync the databases. In this case, it might be a better option to use Anycast. You will need to find providers that support it.
    Tony Holloway
    Delivering Custom Hosting Solutions Since January 2004
    madRooster.com
    Fun Name ... Serious Solutions

My first question is what is your budget?
    Syncing a database and Geo load balancing are not typical low small budget offerings.

Cloudflare is a good solution, but it's more a CDN service than a load balancing solution.

For load balancing check Varnish Cache or HAProxy both are very easy to configure.

Well, you guys missing the point. If database server in Canada works slow it will run slow in Europe as well.
    Look, a normal ping between Canada and Europe would be, say, 100-150 ms, not SECONDS (considering CloudFlare already caching static content)
    Of course you could put database server (and do not forget a web server as well) in Europe, make a database replication (which would be one more point of failure, just google scary stories about master-master replication and split brain), but I think it will not help.

I would recommend to take a closer look at database and web application (do you cache your dynamic content, say, using Varnish, Redis or Memcached?)
    As for database it would be good to check if its enough hardware resources, I mean CPU, HDD (consider SSD), memory.
    Next step - enable slow quires log and check how many heavy queries do you have. Remember, a 2 seconds query on your web-site its very, very bad.
    Consider to add indexes or ask a DBA guy to help you.

Good luck!