Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where should I store the "backup"?

I need a cheap option to store backup of my site done in Plesk 12.

How big is the backup in size?

If it's not that big and its of your personal website, you could store on any number of cloud space providers, such as dropbox.
    Uptime Monitor - Minimize your downtime by being the first to know about it!

Blacklist Monitor - Are any of your IPs or Domains blacklisted? Find out before it gets to affect you or your clients.

There are 3 ways:
    - you can have backup within your current web hosting provider (just contact them)
    - you can get third party services (backup service providers)
    - you can store your backup on your desktop computer.
    --> http://www.webhostingzone.org/
    --> Secure and Reliable Web Hosting Services - cPanel / CloudLinux / Softaculous - Atlanta Data Center
    --> VPS Hosting, Linux Support, SSL certificates and more!

Cheapest is download it to your PC :-)

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

I personally like to store my critical files on a flash drive, but sometimes it's a good option to go with an online backup service; so I use services such as Google Drive and Dropbox. You may check out Backupsy as well for backup VPS, but I think that a backup space would be cheaper.

If you care about your data you should store the backups in the following ways.
    1. Regular local backups on stored on your home network.
    2. Offsite backup using a backup service like Amazon Glacier for archiving and S3 for quick backup and restore capabilities.
    3. Local backup if possible on a separate disk on the server or with the the host.

Doing all three of these should help you be able to restore the site if something catastrophic occurs to the live site.

I would recommend you Google Drive, because of it has got a high speed, and it's somewhere that wont be removed or happen sth like this.
    If your site is not large but if it's large so you must look for a DC that offer backup host too.

If your backup is huge, then it is better to get a backup space with some providers. If it is small, just keep two copies - one in your local machine and other in dropbox.
    Hope Web Host, Fully Managed cPanel Hosting ||
    Shared Web Hosting Reseller Hosting ||
    █ CMS Hosting || Virtual Private Servers ||
    Customer Friendly Staff and Management || 24/7/365 Technical Support

Good on you for asking! There have been many excellent suggestions above.

My only comment is that whatever you choose, make sure that your backup is completely separate and fully independent of your VPS or hosting provider. If your provider doesn't pay its bills and suddenly disappears one day, your backup may be all that you have.

I see so many posts here from desperate people where the system is down, they cannot contact the provider, and they have no backup. It happens once or twice a month. Don't let it happen to you.

thank you friends

I would suggest you to try mozy.ie

Good drive like re4 with a fire proof enclosure with encrypted disk.
    Also have a spare copy in hubic.

AWS S3 or Glacier. Certainly one of the cheapest option.
    ██ SwissNode.ch - Super fast Swiss based hosting
    ██ SSD VPS Hosting | XEN | OpenVZ | All Intel s3500 SSDs
    ██ SSD cPanel Hosting | PageSpeed by default | OPCache

Using FTP is great option. You can purchase a shared hosting plan also having some good storage and can use as a ftp backup solution

Quote Originally Posted by EugeneWHZ View Post
    There are 3 ways:
    - you can have backup within your current web hosting provider (just contact them)
    - you can get third party services (backup service providers)
    - you can store your backup on your desktop computer.
    Totally agree with you. Just a little clarification - all this ways need to be in use at the same time. And local backup on own desktop computer or hard drive need to be doubled (2 different hard drives or 2 flash drives etc.). In this case you'll have more routs to recover data.

If the size is not big why not backup to Google Drive or DropBox since is free and even download it into your pen drive or your PC.

Has anyone used a kimsufi server for backup/storage? Is it too risky?

I always vote for the dedicated server route. We have to create backups for sites up to 33G (compressed via Cpanel Backup) and move them quickly. The most efficient way to do that is to have dedicated servers created for the soul purpose of backups. Create to backup locally, then off it to a backup space on a dedicated backup server. The dedicated backup server is then created so it has password protected nginx's based vhosts so user can access their cpanel generated backups via their own address. The dedi has cron jobs which clean old backups while the new ones come in. All customized of course. If you want to keep a backup locally, simply log in and download it. I haven't seen any backup services backup data at 1GB/sec yet.
    Last edited by highavailability-io; 09-03-2015 at 03:00 PM. Reason: typo
    highavailability.io ██████ ███ ██ █ █
    High Availability WordPress Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    Cheapest is download it to your PC :-)
    if the websites are small the option is great, but if we talking about 30 - 500GB data, I don't think so it's good idea.
    Explore our outstanding VPS choices tailored to your budget, and we welcome reasonable offers.
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

Quote Originally Posted by alex-developer View Post
    if the websites are small the option is great, but if we talking about 30 - 500GB data, I don't think so it's good idea.
    500GB is nothing if you have a very good internet connections. It is not comfortable but it is the cheapest. Of course, if it is for production use, that is another story.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

If your backup is huge then you should buy some external cloud from a cloud provider. Either you can use Dropbox and Google drive, if your back data is small.

Would that backup be updated on a regular basis? If yes, you should use a dedicated server or at least a VPS where you can set a backup job to be done automatically. It also depends on the profile of your website, it is static or more dynamic like a forum or a CMS. If it is a critical backup where every hour of data loss means money lost either to you or your customers, I would suggest maybe a raid solution on the server where you keep your data + a backup done once a few days on another server/host/etc.

Normally hosting providers also provide you the backup facilities. Check with them that would be the most convenient in your case.

I thought Plesk even had the ability to store backups to Dropbox built-in or through a plugin.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Kikot View Post
    Totally agree with you. Just a little clarification - all this ways need to be in use at the same time. And local backup on own desktop computer or hard drive need to be doubled (2 different hard drives or 2 flash drives etc.). In this case you'll have more routs to recover data.
    Yes.
    Actually you can do whatever you want and believe would be better for you at the present moment.
    The way you chose will depend on how important your data is.
    --> http://www.webhostingzone.org/
    --> Secure and Reliable Web Hosting Services - cPanel / CloudLinux / Softaculous - Atlanta Data Center
    --> VPS Hosting, Linux Support, SSL certificates and more!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast