Domain deleted by registry

I left Heart Internet last month although I left a number of domains still with them and just changed the nameservers to my new host as I no longer needed the reseller account. Anyway I check one of my site's today as I was messaged to say that it was offline and an email they tried sending me bounced.

The site is still online on the server with the temp url so contacted Heart Internet tech support who still hold the domain which doesn't expire until March 2017 renewed a couple of months ago. The response back was as follows:

Hi Steven,

Thanks for contacting us.

It appears that the domain has been deleted by the registry. I have contact our domain registrar to try and find further details as to exactly why the domain was deleted. As soon as we get further information regarding this, we will update this ticket for you. My apologies for any inconvenience caused.
    Best Wishes,
    Paul

Does anyone have any idea whats happened? It is a non descript none copyright domain name etc.

no idea.

was the contact info up-to-date?

have you tried to register it?
    Sneaky Little Hobbitses

What TLD was this? (.com? .uk?)

Deleted by registry by the registry happens for one reason - domain expired.
    Deleted by registry at registrar request can be multiple reasons, AUP violation etc.

I don't understand what you mean when you say the site is still online with temp url, you mean it's still resolving over the internet? Then it's not been deleted by the registry (it can't be).

Do a whois lookup on the domain name itself (preferably port 43 from a shell, not an online web tools) and post the flags/status fields (without the domain name). That'll tell us a lot.

"Deleted by registry by the registry happens for one reason - domain expired."

I presume you're talking GTLD here. Different rules apply to ccTLDs. The OP is likely to be UK-based (Heart Internet is a UK company serving the UK market), so the domain name could be a .uk. The .uk registry (Nominet) has far more direct involvement with end users than the GTLD registries do, and does have the power to delete domain names in certain circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by stylus46 View Post
    Hi Steven,

Thanks for contacting us.

It appears that the domain has been deleted by the registry. I have contact our domain registrar to try and find further details as to exactly why the domain was deleted. As soon as we get further information regarding this, we will update this ticket for you. My apologies for any inconvenience caused.
    Best Wishes,
    Paul
    Registries do not randomly delete domains.

Your domain might have got some AUP violation, but in that case Heart Internet should have notified you to take care of the problem.

Unfortunately, you cannot do anything but wait for a response from your domain registrar.

Hi stylus46,

As a previous person said, your domain should still be registered with them, and the reason is probably an AUP violation. An email should have been sent you on your registrar/administrative email id if that was the case.

Heart Internet uses Domainbox services to register domains for their clients. Try contacting their support people directly to get more details on this issue.

Newton