Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How is Namecheap hosting now?

I am using Namecheap hosting now and think it is not bad for its shared hosting prices and fit what I need: around 2-5 domains with one sharing hosting. Namecheap doesn't offer phone support but I don't want to waste time waiting on phone and talk about the whole case on phone anyway. I have tried godaddy hosting before and I didn't like it. I recently contact godaddy support and it is very horrible, no support ticket, live chat doesn't even online in non US official hours and the live chat button doesn't even available when it says they are too busy.

I never try others so I wonder what are the other hosting out there comparing to Namecheap, and want to hear other Namecheap users options. Hosting is not expensive per year for me now but I expect I would keep hosting until I die so this is a very long term thing.
      0 Not allowed!

I've used Namecheap at some point. Like a few years back. They were good and I liked that they offered live chat. There are plenty of other options out there and while Namecheap is good they're certainly not the best, well at least for me.
      0 Not allowed!

The way I see it, small players have better support than big players including rackspace. I tried to contact them about their products and never receive a reply since last year. I gave up
    Last edited by net; 08-03-2015 at 01:22 AM.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx
      1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    The way I see it, small players have better support than big players including rackspace.
    Simply because they have more time to attend to less customers.

If you're a big company it's a given that you should have more staff.... but if you have hundreds of thousands of customers I doubt you could consistently deliver 5 minute ticket response times.
      1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Guyak View Post
    Simply because they have more time to attend to less customers.

If you're a big company it's a given that you should have more staff.... but if you have hundreds of thousands of customers I doubt you could consistently deliver 5 minute ticket response times.
    yup, I worked at godaddy for a year.... which was terrible by the way. I did the ticket support for 6 months of it and some of the tickets were 2 days old by the time we got to them..... PLUS we had to reply with canned responses or else we got written up.

My bud uses name cheap for domains and ssl. He said its very cheap. Thats all i know about them.
    tier1webhosting.com Your SSD hosting Choice

Daily Backups - Fast SSD Servers - Secure -- VPS, Shared and Dedicated Servers
    Download Test File http://tier1webhosting.com/100mb.test
      0 Not allowed!

yes i used to host my websites. they having livechat option as support and the response is really good. though the price is a bit high but at the end of the day you will be satisfied.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tier1Media View Post
    PLUS we had to reply with canned responses or else we got written up.
    Wow is this for real? They should just employ robots instead lol..
      0 Not allowed!

yup, I worked at godaddy for a year.... which was terrible by the way. I did the ticket support for 6 months of it and some of the tickets were 2 days old by the time we got to them..... PLUS we had to reply with canned responses or else we got written up.

My bud uses name cheap for domains and ssl. He said its very cheap. Thats all i know about them.
    Godaddy mainly focus on phone support now, I think this approach is stopping people from even reach them, or just wait on phone for hours. I saw many people saying take hours to wait, I never try it.
      0 Not allowed!

Godaddy uses canned responses is so immoral.
      0 Not allowed!

The way I see it, small players have better support than big players including rackspace. I tried to contact them about their products and never receive a reply since last year. I gave up
    Small players, especially in this industry, tend to disappear overnight. Most people want the credibility and peace of mind in using a reputable, established provider that delivers consistently good support.

Can I ask when/how you tried to contact us and which products you wanted information on?

Matt
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by mdrussell View Post
    Small players, especially in this industry, tend to disappear overnight. Most people want the credibility and peace of mind in using a reputable, established provider that delivers consistently good support.

Can I ask when/how you tried to contact us and which products you wanted information on?

Matt
    Hi Namecheap staff, is there any hardware spec for shared hosting? Is it good/average/bad (may be someone else can give comment)? I cannot find it in Namecheap website.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by crunchor View Post
    Hi Namecheap staff, is there any hardware spec for shared hosting? Is it good/average/bad (may be someone else can give comment)? I cannot find it in Namecheap website.
    It's very good.

We use either Dell R620/R630s with Dual Xeon E5 / 128GB RAM / 8 x disks in SAS/SSD RAID10 (all servers have an element of SSD) or we use the Dell M1000 bladecenter with M420/M620 blades of a similar config, with Dell Equalogic storage. The Equalogic SANs also all have SSD.

0 Not allowed!

It's very good.

We use either Dell R620/R630s with Dual Xeon E5 / 128GB RAM / 8 x disks in SAS/SSD RAID10 (all servers have an element of SSD) or we use the Dell M1000 bladecenter with M420/M620 blades of a similar config, with Dell Equalogic storage. The Equalogic SANs also all have SSD.
    Sounds cool and fast reply, thanks.
      0 Not allowed!

It's very good.

One more question: How is the general structure of Namecheap shared hosting RAID10? For the worst case if there are only two subset and one of the subset fail, is there any daily/weekly backup to retrieve a recent image?
    Last edited by crunchor; 08-03-2015 at 03:27 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

One more question: How is the general structure of Namecheap shared hosting RAID10? For the worst case if there are only two subset and one of the subset fail, is there any daily/weekly backup to retrieve a recent image?
    Daily backups.

Also, it's worth pointing out that with enterprise drives in RAID10 with a quality RAID controller, you should never experience these types of failure. Never say never, but the probability is very low. Plus with Dell's reporting and call home, especially on the Equalogics, disk failures are dealt with gracefully and without pain.

0 Not allowed!

Matt
    I said rackspace not namecheap.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx
      0 Not allowed!

Daily backups.

Also, it's worth pointing out that with enterprise drives in RAID10 with a quality RAID controller, you should never experience these types of failure. Never say never, but the probability is very low. Plus with Dell's reporting and call home, especially on the Equalogics, disk failures are dealt with gracefully and without pain.
    Thanks for the detail.
      0 Not allowed!

It's very good.

Base on my understanding, SSD is used as cache for a large amount of HDD in each server/blade, or you mean all are 100% SSD no HDD?
      0 Not allowed!

Base on my understanding, SSD is used as cache for a large amount of HDD in each server/blade, or you mean all are 100% SSD no HDD?
    It varies. In the PowerEdge, its generally pure SSD but some run SAS + SSD caching. These host fewer accounts than our pure SSD servers as we carefully balance servers to ensure the same level of high performance for all accounts on the server.

For the blades, these are either diskless and boot from SD cards or will have small OS drives. The Equalogic tier storage with SSD + SAS. These are connected to the blades at multi-10G.

0 Not allowed!

It varies. In the PowerEdge, its generally pure SSD but some run SAS + SSD caching. These host fewer accounts than our pure SSD servers as we carefully balance servers to ensure the same level of high performance for all accounts on the server.

For the blades, these are either diskless and boot from SD cards or will have small OS drives. The Equalogic tier storage with SSD + SAS. These are connected to the blades at multi-10G.
    Thank you. Honestly I think these setting are more advanced than most of the other shared hosting services.
      0 Not allowed!

Wow, you are the actual founder & CEO of Namecheap!? I just found that out.
      0 Not allowed!

I said rackspace not namecheap.
    Thanks for clearing that up. I also thought you were referring to Namecheap and that has not been my experience with Namecheap.

Support: I don't use support much but I have always received timely accurate responses to my queries.

Performance: I've never done any technical tests but real world performance seems extremely good. Better than any other large company that I have used in the past. I went through a phase where I tried them all.

Uptime: Once again I have no technical data but I have never noticed any downtime. I won't doubt there was any but if there was I never noticed it.
      0 Not allowed!

Thank you. Honestly I think these setting are more advanced than most of the other shared hosting services.
    I agree. We're proud of our technology platforms and have invested very heavily into it.

Wow, you are the actual founder & CEO of Namecheap!? I just found that out.
    No, that's RichardK (who is also on active WHT). He is the CEO & Founder.

I've been involved for a long time and started / lead the hosting side of the business.
    Last edited by mdrussell; 08-03-2015 at 06:41 AM.

0 Not allowed!

I agree. We're proud of our technology platforms and have invested very heavily into it.

No, that's RichardK (who is also on active WHT). He is the CEO & Founder.

I've been involved for a long time and started / lead the hosting side of the business.
    That's cool too
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PCTechMe View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up. I also thought you were referring to Namecheap and that has not been my experience with Namecheap.

Support: I don't use support much but I have always received timely accurate responses to my queries.

Performance: I've never done any technical tests but real world performance seems extremely good. Better than any other large company that I have used in the past. I went through a phase where I tried them all.

Uptime: Once again I have no technical data but I have never noticed any downtime. I won't doubt there was any but if there was I never noticed it.
    I'm pleased you like our service. Thank you for the good feedback

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast