Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    While good hardware and tech support staff are key to most business, you could always take a look at their security.
    Also a nice bonus is them having a backup solution for your files.

Online Presence

Successful online presence of the web site has to be always accessible. For this customer support should be available when ever needed.

Thanks for sharing..

Should have-
    Quality Support, Knowledgeable Support, Good hardware and security and are the key thing you may need for a hosting company

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalGlobalHosting View Post
    Hello,

In your opinion what are the most important attributes a hosting company should have?
    Lately I have been putting all of my "marbles" so to speak with companies that have great staffs. Its all about the staff. Who is actually behind the keyboards and how much do they really care about my website or projects? That is the question I ask when initially interacting with a company.
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

What I learnt from past 6 years of experience in web hosting field is that if you provide online chat facility for both sales and support, and your support staff is friendly and who can sort problems quickly is the only key for success beside good up-time and good network you will host your clients.

The most important attitude is the owner really wants to do hosting business in long term but not wait for a good buying price from EIG. We all don't want to keep spending a lot of time and effect moving to another hosting company because of EIG.

What attracts me to particular web hosts are

1. server hardware and pricing
    2. network connectivity
    3. security
    4. value added additional offerings
    5. support
    6. terms of service - yes read those!

What keeps me with a web host

1. reliability and support when things go wrong
    2. developed trust relationship over time
    3. and yeah attitude and professionalism of the web host sales, support reps
    4. billing practices and ease of paying bills
    5. support methods - easy to use ticket system
    : CentminMod.com Nginx Installer Nginx 1.25, PHP-FPM, MariaDB 10 CentOS (AlmaLinux/Rocky testing)
    : Centmin Mod Latest Beta Nginx HTTP/2 HTTPS & HTTP/3 QUIC HTTPS supports TLS 1.3 via OpenSSL 1.1.1/3.0/3.1 or BoringSSL or QuicTLS OpenSSL
    : Nginx & PHP-FPM Benchmarks: Centmin Mod vs EasyEngine vs Webinoly vs VestaCP vs OneInStack

A good leader/CEO.

A good leader/CEO who is able to make their employees believe what he/she wants them to believe in. After that, the employees will walk through walls to make the company successful.

Without a good leader, differentiating attributes will become void sooner or later. Without differentiation, why would you buy a service from that company?
    Last edited by GIANT_CRAB; 08-06-2015 at 01:02 PM.
    "Hurr durr look at dem offers section" (aka read mah signature) - WHT 2015

In my opinion one of the most important attributes is the website design/theme along with how user-friendly and professional it is. The reason why I have mentioned this is because if I go on a hosting providers website and the website is using a template with spelling errors, a childish theme, or something along the line then I immediately exit the site regardless of how good the company's reviews are.

Other than this would be the ones mentioned earlier on this thread such as great support and so forth. Personally, this is how I go about picking a webhost for myself.

- Design
    - Pricing, plans and payment methods accepted
    - TOS and also contact the company with some questions to understand how long it takes them to reply, how professional they are, etc.
    - Company reviews (I look for good reviews and check the bad reviews to see how the company handles negative feedback) + How long has the company been operating for and who is on their team (I look up the names from the email replies on Linkedin and search the company too)

Things that grab my attention instantly are the following:

- Respect
    - Security, Performance and reliability of the servers/company
    - Amazing Support

One thing I hate to see whether the company has customers who are active members from forums like HF or LF. I mean at often times webmasters from forums like HF are the ultimate attraction to DDoS attacks.

DNS?

I agree to all the comments regarding hardware and service. Just want to put in a vote here for the need to have a well designed DNS system with geographic redundancy.... yes, probably comes under the subject of "A Good Network", it's just that we see so many providers who supply DNS across a single IP range in only one location.

Everything said so far is spot on, but I would like to add the following:

1. Caring about the customer.
    2. Solving the customer's problems.
    3. Being reliable.
    4. Having integrity.
    5. Being proactive.

If you have these things, the other things will fall in place. You will take action to make sure your customers have what they need, which includes top notch support, quality products and services. Trying to solve the customer's problems will help you tailor your products and services to your client's needs and help you create effective marketing materials. Having integrity and reliability will focus you on keeping things running smoothly and delivering what you say you will when you say you will.

Having these traits or attributes will help you handle unexpected situations in a positive way.
    Last edited by WisTex; 08-09-2015 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by srpurdy View Post
    funny not one person mentioned good security....I just find it odd lol.

Quality (includes hardware and software)
    Security
    Respect
    Support
    Solutions
    Yeah, good security, especially when you have clients coming from government sectors.

Easy one:
    > Should care about clients and their needs
    > Should help them to solve their issues
    > Should know what their doing

Unfortunately there are many "cheap" providers out there which have not one of those features.

Regards,
    Gregor
    ██ SwissNode.ch - Super fast Swiss based hosting
    ██ SSD VPS Hosting | XEN | OpenVZ | All Intel s3500 SSDs
    ██ SSD cPanel Hosting | PageSpeed by default | OPCache

Must be in the business for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Helpmehelpmyself View Post
    Must be in the business for a long time.
    That is very secondary: take GoDaddy and EIG; they're old and established and yet their services are abysmal.
    My "ranking" is kidding.
    I'm just a humble client, here to seek help and guidance from the true experts.

I know that it sound strange but from my experience the most important attributes are modesty and humility.

During my entire career I worked just for/with hosting companies and I've seen that at some point they start to self-destruct. Let me explain. All these companies, especially new ones and small/medium sized ones, start with passion, motivation, self-awareness, good ideas etc. and they're fine but later something bad happens. The boss or the bosses starts to focus crazy ambitions and ruins everything transforming a decent copmpany into a nightmare for his clients and employee. I don't know what's going on with their brains, it's like a virus. They can't stop thinking about providing tons of services and products to customers even the ones that are outdated, pointless and that no employee can handle and here comes the pain for everyone: clients ignored or forced to pay money to receive support, employee overwhelmed by work, low quality and security and less money for everyone.

Good job boss!

Quote Originally Posted by crunchor View Post
    The most important attitude is the owner really wants to do hosting business in long term but not wait for a good buying price from EIG. We all don't want to keep spending a lot of time and effect moving to another hosting company because of EIG.
    Can't really fault providers for selling out to EIG. Few WHT members would turn down those $$,$$$,$$$.

I would agree with those that voted QOS as the most important aspect. If I need to contact support it generally means something has already gone wrong. However, I'd say support would be a strong #2.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts

Most important = Capital commitment.

One to demonstrate to have strong capital to stay long term.

Many provider small or big may have over leverage on financing, when a big financial storm come, and lots will collapse.
    Alan Woo, alan [@] ne.com.sg
    = NewMedia Express Pte Ltd (AS38001)
    = IP Transit, Colocation & Dedicated Servers in Singapore | Hong Kong | Tokyo | Seoul | Jakarta |
    = Singapore Speedtest speedtest.sg

Network + Hardware + Power redundancy and good tech support will take a web host a very long way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12