Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkXS View Post
    None of this means you must get a "reseller" account, or another account at all, or refuse to use the cPanel add-on concept. But please be aware that it is broken-by-design in terms of sensible organization and ability to manage each domain as a separate entity. "Reseller" is in that sense, just a hack that puts a higher level around it to fix those problems. As long as you avoid using add-ons within Reseller!
    So, whatever option I choose, it all comes down to how safely I can secure my websites right?

Quote Originally Posted by asgard View Post
    I agree with the second part: either a shared server is secure or is not.
    The first part is not true; you don't have to strictly be a reseller to get a reseller account. If you have like 10 domains, with reseller account each domain gets it separate cPanel, and if one domain gets hacked the others are safe because isolated; if an add-on domain gets attacked, the whole shared account is compromised and all the other domains go down with it - including the main one.
    I don't think I will have more than 2 or 3 domains in the forseeable future, is a reseller account still worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by JarOfPeas View Post
    So, whatever option I choose, it all comes down to how safely I can secure my websites right?
    Yes. A reseller account would only help in minimizing damage in case one of your sites is compromised.

I don't think I will have more than 2 or 3 domains in the forseeable future, is a reseller account still worth it?
    It depends on your projected usage. Keep in mind that all domains in a shared account would have to share CPU resources, memory, etc. On the other hand, different cPanel accounts (reseller) would have their own separate limits.

If you think at least one of your sites will be a resource hog, then go with a reseller account (then again you should probably be looking at higher-tier options like VPSs). Otherwise shared hosting should be fine.

A reseller is always worth it if you have multiple domains.
    2-3 domains (including primary one) is the maximum limit you can have on a shared account; all the risks mentioned earlier in this thread still apply, though.
    My "ranking" is kidding.
    I'm just a humble client, here to seek help and guidance from the true experts.

Considerations

A lot of good advice given so far. I will just add that you would want to consider some of the following before deciding:

1. Do your sites receive a lot of traffic or use a lot of resources?
    2. Will having both websites in the same cPanel max out your allocated resources too fast?
    3. Do you expect your sites to grow significantly in a short period of time?
    4. Do you expect spikes of traffic?
    5. Do you expect to move your sites to another server in the near future?
    6. Do you need to give a web designer access to one website but not another?
    7. Do you worry that you or your web designers will accidentally overwrite the wrong files in the cPanel?
    8. Are you uncomfortable that the main website will be in /public_html but your addon website will be in /public_html/addon.com (for example)? [Some people are uncomfortable with that file structure.]
    9. Will you be using any scripts that cause problems for addon domains due to changes they make to the .htaccess files? (Sometimes coders assume their code is the only thing on the account, and it doesn't play nicely with others.)
    10. Do you prefer to setup your website once, and not have to move it (and separate your sites) later if they grow and need more resources?

If you said yes to any of the above, then using separate accounts (or getting a reseller account so you place each site in its own cPanel) would be the best option.

Also, I know you mentioned you have only a couple websites, but if you ever get above 5 websites, a reseller account may be more economical and clean.

On the other hand, using addon domains may be a better solution if:

1. You don't expect your sites to receive a lot of traffic or use a lot of resources.
    2. You want to save money in the short term while you build up the traffic to your sites, and are willing to move (and separate) your sites later when you inevitably run out of resources.

So ultimately, the choice is yours and it depends on your particular situation and preferences.

There are few drawbacks of addon domain. It will not provide you an individual account instead of that you have to share resources. And then major disadvantage is that you can't have a backup for your account, if you do so you will replace all other existing accounts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12