Thread: Estimate system

Estimate system

Hi,

For my first time I want to get a dedicate server for my service and need advice for choosing what system I need and where can I get it.
    This service have 1000 user that half of it about 500 are login always together and get data.
    Receiving data are downloading mostly with minimum 500 kb/s.
    Database with size of 10 GB and I will making query from it for the users.
    Storage of files with 20 TB of data.
    Also I need a Linux OS with GUI so I can manage the server.

I done this system in test cases but didnt this in this mount of users and files and I dont know how much RAM and bandwidth and what CPU I need.

Please help so I could find out how can I make it work.

What is your budget?
    Amanah Tech Inc.
    151 Front Street, Toronto, Canada
    Affordable Colocation & 100TB Dedicated Servers.
    Email: sales@amanah.com | +1 416 603 9825 X1 | http://www.amanah.com

Quote Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
    What is your budget?
    Im not a millioner but I will pay for what I need.
    Please tell me estimation of server specifics and price.

It sounds like you already have a system in place. What are the specs of that system? The other thing is the 20TB of data, does it need to be raid protected? If not you could probably just go with 6 x 4TB drives with 2 x 256GB SSD drives for the main operating system and MySQL DB since it sounds like that will get a lot of queries. I'd suggest a 1Gb uplink port as well. If you need redundant raid storage you would need 10 x 4TB drives with the 2 available slots left in the 3U chassis for the SSD drives. As it will hold 12 available drive bays. Most providers will only go as big as 2U though, which gives you 8 available bays, so you could go with Raid-6 which increases you space a bit. 6 x 4TB drives would give you 16TB of usable space. Leaving you 2 slots for the SSD. Or just go with all SATA drives using 8 x 4TB and you could get 24TB. So there are lots of different ways you could go, just depends on what you think would be best.
    SolaDrive - Enterprise Managed Server Solutions
    Specializing in Managed NVMe VPS & Dedicated Servers in US & UK
    Visit us at SolaDrive.com

What is the service? It's difficult to make suggestions that make any sense without knowing what application(s) you are running. The only meaningful information i see is bandwidth usage and storage requirements.

Thank you.Its now available in test state and these number are estimation on test results.
    This service will be a data base of information and also a download and stream for videos and pictures.queries are not too much just regular state like this forum but downloads are heavy as you see and the problem I think is that.

What about RAM?How can I needed RAM on DB and users's download?is there a estimating formula for that?

Sounds like you're running video sharing website which consists of two components (Application and Storage) where application is DB and storage is where the 20TB of static data resides. I've more than 5 years of experience with media streaming, so here is the best suggestion i am about to provide :

First i would highly suggest to separate your App (DB) and storage server. The main reason for separation is the different hardware requirements for both. As DB server does high amount of queries writing/processing/reading and Raid1/Raid10 protected SSDs with powerful CPU including RAM is its requirement. You can start with 200Mbps Network pipe for DB server (1Gbps will be more than its requirement so i would not suggest that).

While for storage i believe you'll not be doing high processing on it and will only be used to store/serve videos and thumbs which requires a lot of Random IOPS , Higher Network Throughput of around 1Gbps, RAM to cache metadata + frequent accessed files. CPU is not the priority here(you can save cost here). So i would suggest to have 12 x HDDs configured with Raid-6 for redundant fault tolerance and Big archiving.

If your application structure is different than what i mentioned than please let us know a bit about your Architecture and application behaviour in order to help you with further relief when deciding for Hardware.
    Last edited by shahzaibcw; 07-02-2015 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shahzaibcw View Post
    Sounds like you're running video sharing website which consists of two components (Application and Storage) where application is DB and storage is where the 20TB of static data resides. I've more than 5 years of experience with media streaming, so here is the best suggestion i am about to provide :

First i would highly suggest to separate your App (DB) and storage server. The main reason for separation is the different hardware requirements for both. As DB server does high amount of queries writing/processing/reading and Raid1/Raid10 protected SSDs with powerful CPU including RAM is its requirement. You can start with 200Mbps Network pipe for DB server (1Gbps will be more than its requirement so i would not suggest that).

While for storage i believe you'll not be doing high processing on it and will only be used to store/serve videos and thumbs which requires a lot of Random IOPS , Higher Network Throughput of around 1Gbps, RAM to cache metadata + frequent accessed files. CPU is not the priority here(you can save cost here). So i would suggest to have 12 x HDDs configured with Raid-6 for redundant fault tolerance and Big archiving.

If your application structure is different than what i mentioned than please let us know a bit about your Architecture and application behaviour in order to help you with further relief when deciding for Hardware.
    Thank you.
    No your almost right.
    What processor do you suggest for the DB server as you call so I can convert videos?Also how much RAM is enough for this DB and OS?
    For the download server how much ram I will need for 1000 user at once and 8 connection for each one?
    For streaming is what range of ping will be good?Also CPU using for streaming on download server?

Quote Originally Posted by aradeonas View Post
    Thank you.
    No your almost right.
    What processor do you suggest for the DB server as you call so I can convert videos?Also how much RAM is enough for this DB and OS?
    For the download server how much ram I will need for 1000 user at once and 8 connection for each one?
    For streaming is what range of ping will be good?Also CPU using for streaming on download server?
    Well, it all depends upon your application behavior , if your application code and mysql queries are optimized i believe a standard Server will be enough to fulfill the DB requirements on the other hand if application code and mysql queries are malformed and not properly optimized, you can end up wasting budget on Bigger hardware such as E5 CPU. So there are actually two ways to improve application response time :

1. Either Optimize your application/mysql/caching with memcache/redis/mongod to reduce server load.
    2. Or end up buying more costly and powerful server to handle your malformed application. ( We don't recommend this)

Regarding video transcoding . We usually suggest our customers to have separate transcoding server with Powerful CPU and single SSD without Raid Protection to save cost (As it will only transcode and sync the file towards storage so data integrity is not essential here).

Regarding download server, do you mean that downloading media file ? Well, you can't simply decide RAM upon concurrent connections. There might be large number of concurrent connections against small static files such as .jpg where RAM matters but not matters more than those concurrent connections which requires to process php files. So it all depends upon monitoring server resources on daily basis in order to find bottlenecks and take necessary precautions to resolve it. (A good hosting company can do this)

Regarding ping latency, i would suggest to find some DataCenter with good peering towards outer world and it requires a lot of bandwidth testings from different locations in order to find one.

Please let me know if some point still yet to clear.

You made it more clear for me.Thank you.

So you mean I need 2 server one for convert and website (website and db and temp convert all can go in 128 SSD with raid even not a HDD or 1TB) and other for download?So website and it's DB host in powerful server that do convert and after convert we can put files in download server.What you think?What server do you think I need with normal 50GB mysql DB without heavy queries(I check it and with many indexes) and convert video files ?
    Heavy part of download server will be big videos and some small audio and images that are nothing compare to videos so can you estimate for example 100 user concurrent with for example 8 connection for each one?I want to know how we can estimate it even in a pour estimation.

You can get a latest generation Intel Xeon E3 series processor server with 8GB of RAM for around $100/month. The 20TB of data you are looking for will come at an substantial added cost.

Quote Originally Posted by rogriverac View Post
    You can get a latest generation Intel Xeon E3 series processor server with 8GB of RAM for around $100/month. The 20TB of data you are looking for will come at an substantial added cost.
    Its enough for 50GB DB , video convert and user downloads?

You do not need 20GB of disk drive for a 50GB database. You could as well order it with SSD drives in order to improve performance with databases operations and disk I/O. What is your exact budget?

As I said before Im not a millioner but I will pay for what I need.
    Im not experienced in this field and I want what I want I want to know what hardwer I need and how much should I pay for it so if I couldn't pay for it optimize system more.
    So please tell me what you think is good for what I estimate of usage.

I just stated my opinion as an IT professional. Now you can go to providers you like and compare prices. Good luck!

Thank you .Yes you said and I want this but I asked a question:
    Its enough for 50GB DB , video convert and user downloads?
    In other language what server or servers are enough for my estimation without thinking about money?