Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tried SiteGround, Disappointed. Are forums or online reviews trustworthy?

Hi,

I'm working for a small insurance/employer service business. We would like to create a website and market our services/products online. Last week after reading recommendations on this board, the warrior forum, and other webhost review websites, I purchased the SiteGround GrowBig plan.

I was very dissatisfied with the layout of the account page. Once logging in to my account, there were hyperlinks on almost every page simply trying to sell me an additional service or this feature or that. Very offensive and amateurish. It seemed as if their sole focus was to trap me into buying additional services rather than allowing me to work on designing a website. Additionally, in 5 days of hosting with them,I received notification that the server I shared with others encountered an error and was offline for some time.

This was my first experience with cPanel as well and I was not sure if I liked how it functioned. It seemed too dumbed down especially when trying to install wordpress. I would rather know exactly what I'm doing and take the time to learn how to properly create a website than have vague one click installers for major items.

I was very surprised that no one had mentioned the blatant and offensive manner in which SiteGround forces its additional services in your face constantly suggesting you to upgrade or buy something.

Can anyone recommend a more professional webhost? Also, I had planned on starting with shared hosting, but if the site is successful, we may need to upgrade in the future. What would be a good host and type of webhosting to choose?

Thanks.

Bigscoots.com. Talk with Scott, the owner. Great guy. Get on the website and talk via chat.

Do some search here, you will find this is one of the best if not the best of all.

There you can start with shared hosting then upgrade to vps fully managed and then fully managed dedicated server.
    --

What you see as a "trap", others see as helpful. SG is not at all what I'd consider an "upseller".
    Server issues happen. I'd imagine it's just bad timing.

That said, there are some other excellent choices out there: Site5, Veerotech, Stablehost, and many others.

A lot of "review" sites have fake information. You're wise to understand this.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by HRR1963 View Post
    Bigscoots.com. Talk with Scott, the owner. Great guy. Get on the website and talk via chat.

Do some search here, you will find this is one of the best if not the best of all.

There you can start with shared hosting then upgrade to vps fully managed and then fully managed dedicated server.
    +1 for Scott (bigscoots.com). Before two days i spoke with him as i needed new hosting for one of my small projects. I must say i was impressed with his attitude, looks like really nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    What you see as a "trap", others see as helpful.
    Lets call it what really is - spam and forced advertising.
    - I often come to the conclusion that my brain has too many tabs open. -
    Failing at desktop publishing & graphic design since 1994
    Pretty soon we can expect hosting companies offering "double unlimited"
    or
    "not limited unlimited with no limits".

Yup, I would base your decisions on actual client reviews on forums and not just one source. In the past if I was searching for a new provider I would narrow a list down of providers that meet my needs (usually no more than 3) and then just do my homework on all of them. Maybe send a pre-sales email and see how they respond to my questions.
    SolaDrive - Enterprise Managed Server Solutions
    Specializing in Managed NVMe VPS & Dedicated Servers in US & UK
    Visit us at SolaDrive.com

Are forums or online reviews trustworthy?

I would say most forum reviews are but those hosting review sites are largely paid networks of affiliate programs or ppc sites.
    Greg Landis | Director of Growth Jaguarpc - Unlock Superior Hosting with JaguarPC
    Managed Servers - Virtual Private Servers | AMD EPYC Dedicated servers
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | (888)-338-5261 | greg @ jaguarpc.com

It's very strange, I use SiteGround from years and I never had problems. Their control panel is very nice and useful. I have the GoGeek plan.
    Web Hosting Magazine | Italian site on the Hosting, Domains, VPS & Server

Sometime you buy the service from a company but they try to let you buy some additional service when you do not want to ,that is really annoying thing ,I think if you want to find a more professional webhost,a dedicated server would be much better than the shared hosting,the speed would be faster and the service would be more professional.Do you think so ?Hope this will help you ~ :-)

Quote Originally Posted by fpscnh View Post
    This was my first experience with cPanel as well and I was not sure if I liked how it functioned. It seemed too dumbed down especially when trying to install wordpress. I would rather know exactly what I'm doing and take the time to learn how to properly create a website than have vague one click installers for major items.
    Just keep in mind that cPanel doesn't force end-users to utilize a script installer. You're free to install any script you'd like manually, so long as it is supported by the hosting environment.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts

As far as we are unaware about other end of the story, I am not commenting on the issues faced by the OP.

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a more professional webhost? Also, I had planned on starting with shared hosting, but if the site is successful, we may need to upgrade in the future. What would be a good host and type of webhosting to choose?

Thanks.
    Your perfect choice will be to sign up for a shared hosting account for a provider who also offers other hosting solutions like Reseller, VPS etc. Also you can check with them to ensure that you will be free to upgrade to the higher packages without any hassles. It will be easier to upgrade a shared account to reseller account in the same server which will avoid even the propagation delays.

Consider a host offers a money back guarantee so that if you are not satisfied with them you can simply get a refund and move on with other options.
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    Nginx / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

I disagree with everything OP says.
    Siteground client area is far from amateurish: on the contrary, it's very customized, and imo very clear and easy to navigate and one of the most professional I've seen; they do have suggestion boxes for their services and/or addons on there, but they don't force or trap you into buy them....or, as OP says, keep "offensively and blatantly forcing them in the face".
    Their cPanel look is also customized, and much clearer than the original cPanel; again, they don't force clients to install CMSs from Softaculous. Customers can always install them manually; Softaculous is to make things easy for those who don't know how to do it manually....how can someone see something that makes things easy for inexperienced customers as amateurish and offensive boggles my mind. No host will teach their client how to make a site from scratch, they don't have the time for that; it's unrealistic even thinking of it.
    Their downtime was probably a bad coincidence, as I've been with them almost 1 year and a half and I've yet to experience any downs.
    Last edited by asgard; 06-04-2015 at 09:13 AM.
    My "ranking" is kidding.
    I'm just a humble client, here to seek help and guidance from the true experts.

if you want professional web host then their is one, best among others that's Webfaction. If you want more managed one, try liquidweb shared hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by HRR1963 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Madbunny View Post
    +1 for Scott (bigscoots.com). Before two days i spoke with him as i needed new hosting for one of my small projects. I must say i was impressed with his attitude, looks like really nice guy.
    Thanks for the mention guys, always happy to help
    BigScoots.com - 98% of Clients Stay With Us Forever
    Offering Fully Managed Shared & Reseller Hosting
    Specializing in Managed WordPress, VPS & Dedicated Hosting
    Opened 2010 & 100% Positively Reviewed Since | 100% Network Uptime

Quote Originally Posted by Madbunny View Post
    Lets call it what really is - spam and forced advertising.
    You clearly do not have an account with SiteGround, as the OP (and now yourself, due to this comment) are talking nonsense.

Essentially, there are only 7 pages in their backend: Home, My Account, Support, Billing, Referrals, Add Services, Resources.

- Home has domain sign-ups, a box on how to upgrade when needed (NOT AN UPSELL!), "getting started" links, social feeds.
    - My Account is all your account info.
    - Support is KB, tutorials, search KB, live help, submit tickets.
    - Billing is billing info.
    - Referrals is info on their referral program.
    - Add Service is as close as it get to "evil upsell links". But that's what it's for. DUH! Add, upgrade, etc.
    - Resources is tutorials for CMS, and a few perks/coupons from using them (no sign-up fee for using 2CO, 90 days free at CrazyEgg, etc). Some of these perks are actually useful, unlike many hosts who simply give away near-useless Facebook/Google ad credits.

So, again, the OP is talking 100% utter nonsense. (And if you're not using SiteGround, and parrot it, you're also talking nonsense.)

I wanted to take some screengrabs, but the browser plugin isn't behaving.

If this is "too many links", then no host will ever please the OP.

If you want to see an upsell, check out Brainhost. That host is has so many traps that it's vulgar..
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

AFAIK, site ground is a very good hosting provider. But if you seek something more. Try media temple.
    eezpal - Web designing and web hosting company - http://eezpal.net/web-hosting/

You clearly do not have an account with SiteGround, as the OP (and now yourself, due to this comment) are talking nonsense.

Essentially, there are only 7 pages in their backend: Home, My Account, Support, Billing, Referrals, Add Services, Resources.

- Home has domain sign-ups, a box on how to upgrade when needed (NOT AN UPSELL!), "getting started" links, social feeds.
    - Add Service is as close as it get to "evil upsell links". But that's what it's for. DUH! Add, upgrade, etc.
    - Resources is tutorials for CMS, and a few perks/coupons from using them (no sign-up fee for using 2CO, 90 days free at CrazyEgg, etc). Some of these perks are actually useful, unlike many hosts who simply give away near-useless Facebook/Google ad credits.

So, again, the OP is talking 100% utter nonsense. (And if you're not using SiteGround, and parrot it, you're also talking nonsense.)

If you want to see an upsell, check out Brainhost. That host is has so many traps that it's vulgar..
    Exactly.
    Only one who is not Siteground's client, or has only been with really amateurish hosts, can see SG Control Area and customized cPanel as amateurish and - this is totally ridiculous - offensive.
    And parrots aren't worth the time spent reading them.
    My "ranking" is kidding.

My comments regarding the forced advertising by SiteGround and saturation of hyperlinks to buy new services are legitimate and correct. In fact it was amateurish, SiteGround interface had a big graphical hyperlink to purchase the exact account I already had. However some people may not be bothered by this kind of thing. I was. I ended up going with BigScoots and have been more than satisfied thus far. Thanks.
    Last edited by fpscnh; 06-10-2015 at 04:57 PM.

My comments regarding the forced advertising by SiteGround and saturation of hyperlinks to buy new services are legitimate and correct. In fact it was amateurish, SiteGround interface had a big graphical hyperlink to purchase the exact account I already had. However some people may not be bothered by this kind of thing. I was. I ended up going with BigScoots and have been more than satisfied thus far. Thanks.
    No, they aren't as Siteground doesn't force you to buy anything and the hyperlinks saturation doesn't exist, the links are very far and in-between; you need to re-check the meaning of the word "amateurish", because it's completely different from how you intend.

Best of luck with BigScoots; they are really excellent, so I'm sure you won't regret your choice.
    My "ranking" is kidding.

Bigscoots is an excellent choice. Do tell us about your experience in a few weeks time

as per usual, I always get a laugh from your post.

I too was looking at siteground but the upsells on the ordering page, turned me off. It doesn't surprise me you are speaking so highly. You are an affiliate of theirs after all.
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-...web-hosts.html

When I was looking for hosting through them, I remember I tried to close the page and a pop up was like "Hey lets show you this super cool lower price." it's annoying and I find it tacky personally. It is very reminiscent of Godaddy and how they try to shove stuff in your face.

It screams almost desperate to me and turned me off.
    Furthermore, they charge a 24.95 set up fee for what exactly? On a shared hosting account if you choose monthly. That's ridiculous.

Oh don't believe me about pop-ups?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	siteground.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	31400

Quote Originally Posted by Hsin View Post
    as per usual, I always get a laugh from your post.

I too was looking at siteground but the upsells on the ordering page, turned me off. It doesn't surprise me you are speaking so highly. You are an affiliate of theirs after all.
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-...web-hosts.html

When I was looking for hosting through them, I remember I tried to close the page and a pop up was like "Hey lets show you this super cool lower price." it's annoying and I find it tacky personally. It is very reminiscent of Godaddy and how they try to shove stuff in your face.

It screams almost desperate to me and turned me off.
    Furthermore, they charge a 24.95 set up fee for what exactly? On a shared hosting account if you choose monthly. That's ridiculous.

Oh don't believe me about pop-ups?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	siteground.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	31400
    I checked the page and the links; only a handful of them are affiliate links, the Siteground one is not among those.

That popup is indeed tacky but not so uncommon, and it doesn't define Siteground's service quality - which is excellent. I can confirm that as a client. Wanted to specify it before you pulled the - laughable - "disagree with me, must be a rep/affie" thing.
    My "ranking" is kidding.

I use NoScript. I pretty much never see popups.

@Hsin: Most people find an affiliate program, and join it, having never used the host. Me? I use a host, and then when I determine it's good, will recommend it -- affiliate program or not. That's the difference between what I do, and the BS others do. Some of us have ethics. My advice is worth something.

I've hated popups since the 90s.

But you're talking about the marketing frontend, not the customer backend (like the OP was).

I don't have an issue with a $25 setup. They use a custom setup, and do far more than the average host. For example, they call you and see if you need anything. They're not kiddies, and they charge for their time.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

Well I do especially when there are far better hosts that own their own datacenter and offer better services for the price(according to your list especially) without having to do a set up fee.

It's a shared hosting account...not a VPS or a dedicated server. So there is no need for a set up fee on a shared hosting account. Whatever way you try to slice it, it is ridiculous.

I use NoScript. I pretty much never see popups.

@Hsin: Most people find an affiliate program, and join it, having never used the host. Me? I use a host, and then when I determine it's good, will recommend it -- affiliate program or not. That's the difference between what I do, and the BS others do. Some of us have ethics. My advice is worth something.

I've hated popups since the 90s.

But you're talking about the marketing frontend, not the customer backend (like the OP was).

I don't have an issue with a $25 setup. They use a custom setup, and do far more than the average host. For example, they call you and see if you need anything. They're not kiddies, and they charge for their time.

You'd be wrong there. It is an affiliate. I clicked the link and I see it in the code...it was his/her affiliate link...which is fine but it makes their opinion slightly more biased, in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by asgard View Post
    I checked the page and the links; only a handful of them are affiliate links, the Siteground one is not among those.

That popup is indeed tacky but not so uncommon, and it doesn't define Siteground's service quality - which is excellent. I can confirm that as a client. Wanted to specify it before you pulled the - laughable - "disagree with me, must be a rep/affie" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsin View Post
    hosts that own their own datacenter and offer better services
    Owning the datacenter doesn't really mean anything. It's just real estate. It has nothing to do with the hosting and servers. Hosts like LiquidWeb are excellent (they own the DC), but I can think of serveral off-hand that are very craptastic. But it has everything to do with the hosting operation, and nothing to do with owning the building.

Trivia: Brent Oxley (former Mr. Hostgator) still owns some buildings now used by EIG.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast