Any hostmybytes.com experience?

Hi,

Anyone has used hostmybytes.com? I have only found a review of them here.

If you can not find any bad reviews than most likely the provider is good. Usually bad reviews pop up first ....
    VPSinEU.com|Managed Virtual Private Servers|Managed Dedicated Servers|
    Managed Hosting Solution|24/7/365 Support
    Datacentar and servers location: Dataplace - Holland, Europe

Yes, I use them. Their customer support and pre-sales help is/was better than anything else I have experienced in over a decade of buying hosting packages. I am on an all SSD VPS cloudlinux fully managed account with OpenVZ/SolusVM/WHM/cPanel in the OVH data center in Beauharnois near Montreal. My vote? Buy with confidence.

Check other reviews as well. Better - get in touch with provider and ask them for test account or test server.
    Your own experience might be different then other clients of them have.

My Experience not so good

OK I admit I am a relative beginner.
    Saw a recommendation for Hostmybytes thought I would give it a chance
    SO
    1) Problem took them a while to realize I had paid for a year through PayPal - ok could be Paypal's fault
    Support from Tyler good
    2) Start the process of configuring Virtual servers decide I am going to make a smaller one as a test bed (use about 1/3 of my available resources for it.
    Follow the drop down menus to install.
    Problem 1) their install scripts are faulty and they install 0 Cores to this virtual server ... Online chat is mostly offline However Tyler appears and looks into it next day it gets straightened out
    3) start to install LAMP - they don't have any guides in their FAQ - once again Tyler gives me the urls to other providers who have guidelines. Follow process and get error message that librairies cannot be found during update.
    Once again Tyler comes to the rescue ... via second level support whose comment is that version of Ubuntu is no longer supported (It was the highest version available from their drop down) .. They install the latest version
    4) I install Apache (woo hoo get the confirmation that Apache is installed) I try the next steps to install MySQL - no joy failure to install Tyler/online support isn't available so get an email (6 hours later) saying we will get back to you ..(by the way the first item in my message / ticket was the IP address concerned. then 2 hours later get a message in the same thread from a "different off hours support supervisor" what is the IP that the problem is concerning.
    5) Online chat off line 30 minutes still on hold waiting for tech support

Maybe a good company Buut do I want to trust live data to them?
    Your call

Quote Originally Posted by Sogwac View Post
    Problem 1) their install scripts are faulty and they install 0 Cores to this virtual server ... Online chat is mostly offline However Tyler appears and looks into it next day it gets straightened out
    That is a bug in Solus. I've seen it elsewhere and Solus/OnApp refuses to debug it / denies it exists. So when this happens, someone needs to manually create your VPS.

3) start to install LAMP - they don't have any guides in their FAQ - once again Tyler gives me the urls to other providers who have guidelines. Follow process and get error message that librairies cannot be found during update.
    Once again Tyler comes to the rescue ... via second level support whose comment is that version of Ubuntu is no longer supported (It was the highest version available from their drop down) .. They install the latest version
    Familiar with the update bug you faced. It's pretty common. Solution is for provider to push new templates/images for Ubuntu. Likely this happened as a result of your problems. Shops run various versions of distros for many different reasons. Sadly, I've run into this problem way too much all over. It's manageable though as a customer. I ask for the latest or known good version based on recent installs I've done.

All the other delays, they happen. Asking for and needing higher levels of support. Such folks are not front line and there waiting. This is normal also.

Maybe a good company Buut do I want to trust live data to them?
    Are you still a customer and giving them a try? Believe they offer a refund trial period. Would be interested in seeing your experience after that time or first month. Update us here please.

Hope for improvement

Spent a long time on line chatting with Tyler. They are aware of problems and are working hard to resolve them ....
    I will report back in a few weeks

Pay attention on negative reviews mostly. Such kind of the reviews help to understand the problems you might expect. Of course there is no guarantee then that you will have such kind or the problems.
    Just do not pay for 1 years or more in advance (that will allow you to leave the provider in case you are not satisfied).
    --> http://www.webhostingzone.org/
    --> Secure and Reliable Web Hosting Services - cPanel / CloudLinux / Softaculous - Atlanta Data Center
    --> VPS Hosting, Linux Support, SSL certificates and more!

HostMyBytes - Worst Support & Service

Hello everyone,

Well, I have registered new here. I have been a guest member of this community for long. I always make it a point to go through this community reviews/suggestions/advises/etc while I pickup a host or an Internet Service. This time, I wish to share my experience with this company HostMyBytes. (You can't post unless you're a member & hence I have registered )

Some preface:
    It's been almost an year that I have been a customer with them. I am fed-up with them now, and I am changing to another host as soon as my account expires with them.

HostMyBytes Service - My experiences
    I have two services with them. One being a VPS & one being a shared webhosting. I couldn't resist an offer I had seen somewhere about a host sale & hence I went ahead with it. I did read this thread before going with HMB as well, but this wasn't this long, then .

My service experiences with cPanel shared hosting (Just a few instances):
    • I had realised that the IP I was assigned is a blacklisted IP, and hence I was unable to send emails to major mail hosting providers. I had asked them to improve anti-spam features and assign stuff like DMARC, DKIM, SPF, EHLO, etc. In fact, during this tussle, I was given a link (which links to Office365 Adminstrators Troubleshooting for blacklist - which had nothing to do with my issue;) and was asked to go ahead & figure things out myself! What a shame. They can't manage to ensure that their IPs are white-listed ones. And when they are blacklisted, they ask their clients to figure it out & resolve the issue themselves!? Such a pity! Anyways, it took them a week to set them all in order. I had to assist them and every stage, including what the TXT record entries should be.
    • They always have disk space issues, as if they are always running out of space & it keeps affecting the clients. Their support keeps pacifying the clients asserting that the issue wouldn't recur, but trust me it happens all the time. In short, if you're a client with HostMyBytes, you can't depend on the thought - "everything would be working fine". You have to keep monitoring the **** yourself everyday, almost every minute. And the worst part, they don't seem to monitor their clients' services functioning. Like say for eg, if they had worked on some maintenance issue over a node, post that they wouldn't bother to check if the clients on that node are functioning back. So, it is like that unless the client opens a ticket. I keep facing this disk-space thing every now and then.
    • Their Uptime. Its certainly not as good as they claim it to be.

I had requested a change of node as well, but nothing of such seemed possible, I guess.

I have had no issues with the VPS, probably because I don't need to depend on their support for anything. The VPS uptime has been better.

HostMyBytes Support
    I am sure many users might have been impressed by the - "within 60 minutes response" for support tickets, but that doesn't add to the 'Quality' of support. They must have placed a group of men to simply respond to one's ticket within the 60 minute deadline & keep the user on hold, until the technical support takes over. Well, that is absolutely fine, as I would see it as a competitive strategy. Fine, no complaints here. But they fail in maintaining a sound support team.
    Just by claiming a 24X7 "very active" support doesn't add a feather to their cap, obviously because their so called technical support team is damn dumb. I have been hosting with them since 1 year now & most of the support members have no knowledge on handling servers. On the contrary, the support members ask you the steps to accomplish the given task! It's unfortunate that in almost every case that the support is clueless about proceeding ahead with any given task.

Corollary:

Disclaimer: My intention of sharing this is not for bitching against HMB, I got nothing against them, in person. I have already paid for all my services. They have not cancelled/suspended any of my account(s), with which I might have had come here to bitch against them - like a few of you might think. And even if they'd, I'd consider better & legal ways to deal, instead of 'bitching'.(Lol! ) So, No! Nothing like that.

Anyways, my intention is very clear. Just like me, there are many users here & many unknown guest users (I was one, earlier) who do visit this forum for taking decisions on which host/service they should rely on. In this Hosting/Internet Service industry, where every now and then we see companies coming up, it becomes very important to judge, determine & choose the correct worth for.
    In short, if you're looking forward to go with HostMyBytes, its definitely not worth it. Its not reliable, as you can never be in peace, that everything would be fine while its handled by them. If you're HMB agent/management, please make an effort to improve the 'Quality' of your support & services.

Cheers & Thanks!

Ok this is old thread ,but future readers,as I heard their reviews ,they are quite irresponsive and useless spammy company
    I have no signature