Thoughts on Shared Hosting and suggestions?

So we are in the process of looking for new host as our current host has let me down and I am a bit torn on what to do.

We've been using VPS for awhile now but I have been sort of considering other(lesser) options. Monetary so is one thing.

Our site isn't a super huge site. It's a forum that runs IPB(Invision Power Board). I've used shared hosting in the past before(Site5) and it seems we used a lot of resources based on their resource points thing. But I know, not all hosting is created equal. What works with one host doesn't necessarily work with all and what doesn't, doesn't imply the same.

My main reason choosing VPS over shared is the fact shared is understandably restrictive.

1. Litespeed....We're a big fan of this and some hosts have it and some host don't.

2. Raising php memory limit...for many shared hosts it is a bit low for our needs. We need at least 128M

3. Support

But my biggest reasoning is the idea of sharing an IP with a bunch of random people/sites and having no idea who they are and being blacklisted.
    I like the idea of having my own IP and nameservers that are made for me.

Are there any happy mediums between Shared and VPS that give you a bit more freedom and possibly come with their own IP address(es)?

If so, any recommendations as to who or what to look at?

Isn't semi-dedicated just shared hosting with less people?

If you were limited by Site5's resource points, you're likely going to need to look at either some type of Enterprise-plan, semi-dedicated, or similar. These plans tend to allow for more resource usage, whilst still keeping a reasonable cost.

What is your intended budget for this, including a dedicated IP? I'm unsure of whether or not most hosts would allow private nameservers on normal shared hosting - but then again, I don't see why they couldn't, as it's easy to set up.

Have you looked at any hosts so far? What would you need in terms of diskspace and bandwidth? And finally - what was it that made you disappointed with your current provider?
    MightWeb - Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Virtual Servers & Dedicated Servers.
    KVM VPS's - RAID 10 Pure SSD - Windows & Linux - Managed services available
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS | Pure SSD | Premium Network | SpamExperts
    DDoS Protection, R1Soft Hourly Backups, LiteSpeed, 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee

How has your current host let you down?

Quote Originally Posted by WireNine View Post
    How has your current host let you down?
    I'll do a review on them if I leave(when I leave is likely) As it is sort of a dilemma. I've actually spoken to you guys via twitter

Quote Originally Posted by MightWeb-Marcus View Post
    If you were limited by Site5's resource points, you're likely going to need to look at either some type of Enterprise-plan, semi-dedicated, or similar. These plans tend to allow for more resource usage, whilst still keeping a reasonable cost.

What is your intended budget for this, including a dedicated IP? I'm unsure of whether or not most hosts would allow private nameservers on normal shared hosting - but then again, I don't see why they couldn't, as it's easy to set up.

Have you looked at any hosts so far? What would you need in terms of diskspace and bandwidth? And finally - what was it that made you disappointed with your current provider?
    I have been looking at VPS related hosts personally. I only got the idea to look at Shared when I made this thread. It's been so long since I looked at shared.

I know Mddhosting
    Stablehost
    Crocweb
    Hawkhost

(I've used some of them) but I am also not a fan of just going with the trends and I usually like to try and experience lesser known/lesser recommended hosts as well so I have no clue who to check out.

All of the ones you're listing are great hosts. I don't believe CrocWeb offers any type of "semi-dedicated" or really any packages with extended server resources - but the others do.
    Smaller hosts could be a good thing for reasons I'm sure you know - but it's even more important to do some research on those before selecting one, especially if you're going to host an active forum on it. If you come across any provider in specific, feel free to bring them up here - more often than not, someone has experience with said provider.

Might also be worth having a chat with any potential candidates you find. Talk to them about your project, and see what they have to say about it - there's no better way to get an idea for how they interact with customers.

Best of luck!
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS | Pure SSD | Premium Network | SpamExperts

Do you have a specific location where you would like to host your server?

US is preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsin View Post
    Are there any happy mediums between Shared and VPS that give you a bit more freedom and possibly come with their own IP address(es)?

If so, any recommendations as to who or what to look at?

Isn't semi-dedicated just shared hosting with less people?
    Yes semi-dedicated plans are shared web hosting but with significantly fewer hosting accounts on a shared server. Typically these plans include more resources (CPU, RAM, etc.), more server resources per account. It could work well for your forum. You should talk with a provider that offers semi-dedicated plans about your current usage/needs.
    Last edited by boognish; 05-26-2015 at 11:31 PM.
    Review Hell - Brutally Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Helpful Web Hosting Advice
    Web Hosting Guide - Easy to Understand For Newbies

For semi-dedicated, checkout Stablehost, HostWithLove, Squidix. All three are excellent hosts.

A Semi-Dedicated account would be suitable for you. These plans are often designed for those customers who are in need of the extra bit of resources to support their requirements. These plans will provide the users to enjoy the atmosphere of a VPS with the easiness of a reseller account.
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    Nginx / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

US is preferred.
    As suggested, take a look at the semi dedicated plans but also the shared offers on the board. If you have any questions for the host be sure to put in a pre-sales ticket or ask live chat for details about the resources etc.
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS | Pure SSD | Premium Network | 24x7 Support

I decided for the short-term to move my larger site over to A Small Orange(ASO) for their $5 VPS for the 1st month(regular price is $30).

It is an EIG host but they got me moved over relatively fast(Less than 5 hours or so, despite an issue with my former hosts poor download speeds). I am a bit nervous to be with an EIG host but for a VPS a 1/6th their normal price, I don't mind at all.

What about next month?

I decided for the short-term to move my larger site over to A Small Orange(ASO) for their $5 VPS for the 1st month(regular price is $30).

It is an EIG host but they got me moved over relatively fast(Less than 5 hours or so, despite an issue with my former hosts poor download speeds). I am a bit nervous to be with an EIG host but for a VPS a 1/6th their normal price, I don't mind at all.
    That's good to hear. Hopefully it will work out for you there. If not you have extra time to find a good fit! Good luck!
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS | Pure SSD | Premium Network | 24x7 Support

Quote Originally Posted by ryus View Post
    What about next month?
    If your larger site requires a VPS and it performs well with them $30/month is a good price for what you get with that plan.
    Review Hell - Brutally Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Helpful Web Hosting Advice
    Web Hosting Guide - Easy to Understand For Newbies

Quote Originally Posted by ryus View Post
    What about next month?
    Next month is me paying $30 a month should I decided to stay with A Small orange

Quote Originally Posted by NotHere View Post
    That's good to hear. Hopefully it will work out for you there. If not you have extra time to find a good fit! Good luck!
    Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by boognish View Post
    If your larger site requires a VPS and it performs well with them $30/month is a good price for what you get with that plan.
    Yeah it is pretty good price I think plus it allows me to truly see how Good or bad an EIG host is with my larger site. I've used ASO for a smaller/newer site so I am curious about how they do now with my larger site(a forum).

Next month is me paying $30 a month should I decided to stay with A Small orange

Thank you

Yeah it is pretty good price I think plus it allows me to truly see how Good or bad an EIG host is with my larger site. I've used ASO for a smaller/newer site so I am curious about how they do now with my larger site(a forum).
    Glad to hear they got you moved over and I hope everything goes well.

In evaluating ASO, be sure to submit some support tickets. Support is usually the #1 complaint with EIG brands.
    RDO Servers - Shared Hosting, Resellers, VPS, Dedicated Servers, & Secure Clusters
    Windows Hosting with Plesk Onyx - Linux Hosting with cPanel - LiteSpeed - CloudLinux - MariaDB
    Providing Excellent Hosting since 2009!

I would like to know your experience with bluehost or dedicatedname. Bluehost seems to be providing a quality service though I haven't been able to find much information about dedicatedname.

VPS is always better than shared since in VPS you are allocated a dedicated IP which is not shared by any other person.
    You can easily find good and reliable VPS hosts at reasonable cost.

Quote Originally Posted by rdphub View Post
    VPS is always better than shared since in VPS you are allocated a dedicated IP which is not shared by any other person.
    You can easily find good and reliable VPS hosts at reasonable cost.
    Saying a VPS is always better then a shared account is like saying a SUV is always better then a car, when you have not idea what the persons needs are.

Just because a VPS is bigger and more expensive, does not mean it is better for everyone. It is doubtful that the extra resources will help him. A VPS can still be put on a low quality, over sold server. A VPS is a lot harder to manage if he does not have the technical experience. You can get a dedicated IP shared account.

*Edit - OK, I haven't had my morning coffee yet and I thought I was replying to a different, but similar thread. The extra resources of a VPS may benefit him, but I still maintain that a VPS is not "always better". A quality shared account can run a average forum and provide a dedicated IP just fine.
    Last edited by RDO Servers; 05-30-2015 at 07:54 AM.
    RDO Servers - Shared Hosting, Resellers, VPS, Dedicated Servers, & Secure Clusters
    Windows Hosting with Plesk Onyx - Linux Hosting with cPanel - LiteSpeed - CloudLinux - MariaDB
    Providing Excellent Hosting since 2009!

Try to see MediaLayer and StableHost, they are two nice Provider for your forum. They used SSD, LiteSpeed and Percona MySQL.
    Web Hosting Magazine | Italian site on the Hosting, Domains, VPS & Server

Quote Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post
    I would like to know your experience with bluehost or dedicatedname. Bluehost seems to be providing a quality service though I haven't been able to find much information about dedicatedname.
    Never heard of Dedicatedname either, but Bluehost is EIG and their service is far from what I would call quality.
    My "ranking" is kidding.
    I'm just a humble client, here to seek help and guidance from the true experts.

Quote Originally Posted by asgard View Post
    Never heard of Dedicatedname either, but Bluehost is EIG and their service is far from what I would call quality.
    That's very interesting. I didn't know about EIG but after you mentioned, I did bit of reading and what I found is not good. Thanks for your feedback. I have written to dedicatedname.com just now and going to find more details. In the meantime I will continue to research about other providers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post
    That's very interesting. I didn't know about EIG but after you mentioned, I did bit of reading and what I found is not good. Thanks for your feedback. I have written to dedicatedname.com just now and going to find more details. In the meantime I will continue to research about other providers as well.
    Are you sure its not Dedicatednode? Dedicatednode is better than any EIG host like bluehost.