Question MSI - Should I Stay Or Go?

I bought the MSI Z96 GD65 Gaming motherboard a few months ago. I set it up a month or two ago and ever since, my computer would randomly shutdown. To be more specific, it was usually when I took my computer out of sleep that it would just shutdown and then 5 seconds later it would boot again. There were a few times that it was just all of a sudden and I wasn't even doing anything CPU or RAM intensive. I was able to narrow the problem down to the motherboard by replacing the RAM, reinstalling Windows, replacing the power supply, checking all the power connectors, and running multiple benchmark tests. I ended up trying a H97 motherboard and there were no random shutdowns with it. Of course, the time I don't buy the extended warranty it ends up not working so I had to RMA it to MSI as the store I bought it from wouldn't do anything for me (except take my $50 just to tell me if it was working or not). Having to deal with MSI has been even more of a headache. For whatever reason, they two phone numbers: one toll free and another long distance. They INSIST that you call the long distance number for motherboard related inquiries, when the toll free number gives the exact same prompt as the long distance. Not wanting to rack up a long distance bill, I called the long distance number with MagicJack and waited 45+ minutes before I hung up. I then called the toll free number and pressed #1 (or whatever it was) for laptop support, right away somebody picked up and helped me. I also tried contacting MSI via their online support and without even answering my question, they closed my ticket. I ended up getting lucky (sort of) because the RMA warehouse didn't have my motherboard in stock so instead they're going to give me a full refund, but that may take at least another couple weeks (or 4-6 weeks if they can't speed up the process). It's also sort of a pain in the butt because I need my computer for work and I've had to do it all on my (outdated) laptop. With the problems I've had with MSI, I'm wondering if I should get another MSI motherboard or all of the motherboard manufacturers (Gigabyte, Asus, ASRock, etc) are all the same in terms of support? I'll get the extended warranty with the next motherboard, but it will only be replaced for "defective hardware" and what's their definition of "defective hardware"... Also, does anybody have any recommendations for a good Z97 motherboard?
    Little Apps
    Open Source Software

I have had issues with MSI in the past and honestly I would never purchase anything from them. Good luck in getting this resolved.

- Daniel

I think you should leave them, they've obviously provided you with a computer with a broken RETURN key.

Quote Originally Posted by TmzHosting View Post
    I have had issues with MSI in the past and honestly I would never purchase anything from them. Good luck in getting this resolved.

- Daniel
    Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    I think you should leave them, they've obviously provided you with a computer with a broken RETURN key.
    Any recommendations? My only options for brand (besides MSI) are Gigabyte and ASUS (as that's the only ones the local computer store carries).
    Little Apps
    Open Source Software

in past years, we use both MSI and ASROCK, we like ASROCK a lot and price is often cheaper than msi

MSI has a really bad reputation, I would never buy from them...
    Anyways, it's up to you to stay or to leave

I decided to go with the Gigabyte Z97M-D3H motherboard. I also got the extended 2 year warranty. I've only had for it day but so far no problems. I wish I could've got the Z97-D3H (Standard ATX instead of Micro ATX) but that's all the local computer store carried. All the MSI motherboards seem to have good reviews and I sort of wish I could've got another MSI motherboard, but I don't want to have to deal with their horrendous support again.
    Little Apps
    Open Source Software

I have never try MSI though I read good reviews about their product while asus had bad support as I heard in most of my friends. Anyway, I hope that you don't experience problem in your new motherboard.

I have been happy with Gigabyte.
    • Ddos, DOS, Brute force protection • White Label Reseller Hosting. • Proactive Server Management
    • 20+ years experience! • sales@uncensored-hosting.com
    Uncensored-Hosting • X @UncensoredHost