hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : Dedicated Server Consulting

Forum Jump

Dedicated Server Consulting

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2000, 02:42 PM

Talking

I am looking at leasing a dedicated server and my biggest worry is the fact that I have little admin experience and would like to find a consulting company that would configure the server (setup FTP, e-mail, the webserver, etc). Most web hosting companies I have looked at do not have any admin interface, other than Dialtone, and I think the best solution would be to have someone initially administer the server for me and then I would take it from there. Does anyone have any suggestions for consulting companies, or possibly dedicated server companies that provide an easy-to-use interface which would allow me to setup virtual sites, e-mail and other functions that are traditionally only found in a virtual hosting environment?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2000, 03:07 PM
atjeu

Check us out at http://www.atjeu.com

We offer the cobalt dedicated servers and they are all configured via the web browser. It couldnt be easier to use and you dont have to know anything about linux or unix. It comes with the http, ftp , email pop - imap - smtp, telnet, dns servers all preset up and ready to go. We will help you get it going too so please stop by or call us 1-800-964-4720 - thanks - Atjeu

Old 08-25-2000, 03:28 PM

The Cobalt RaQ servers are not true dedicated servers in my opinion. The fact that you can log on as root through a web interface is a major security risk. Also, with the ability to only house 512 MB of RAM, when I need at least a gig, this will not provide me with a strong solution for my site. Also, no dual processors and only two hard drives makes for a weak server for my needs. I need true consulting services on a Linux machine with qualified system admins. Please advise!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2000, 09:54 AM
WHT Addict

I would recommend Alabanza. They have a system with RAID and 1 gig of RAM. The Domain System Manager (DSM) is accesible via SSL (with your certificate installed) and allows you to set up your packages, create/suspend/delete accounts, bill and credit clients, etc. Root access is via SSH only. They have a nice control panel (even if it does look a bit drab) so a client can handle their own email and such. If you decide to use Cybercash it allows new accounts set up in 10 mins or less and recurring billing, both automatically.

You would get a machine that is fully set and functional, they set up the httpd, named, pro ftp, ssh, etc for you. They will also install your certificates and set up the SSH for root access (upon request).

You can check them out at http://alabanza.com.

------------------
Chuck Fox
http://cfoxhost.com

Old 08-26-2000, 09:09 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by dmyoung:
I am looking at leasing a dedicated server and my biggest worry is the fact that I have little admin experience and would like to find a consulting company that would configure the server (setup FTP, e-mail, the webserver, etc). Most web hosting companies I have looked at do not have any admin interface, other than Dialtone
That makes me wonder which ones you've looked at, because almost every dedicated server provider I've looked at includes some sort of web-based interface for server administration. Most commonly, it's webmin.

Most providers also offer system administration services that should do what you're looking for as far as setting up the system, installing and configuring software, and OS troubleshooting. One example: Digital Nation, check out http://www.dedicatedserver.com/servers/sysadmin.html

The recommendation for Alabanza might not be a good fit. For one thing, dmyoung didn't say he wants to be a hosting provider, and he did say that needs more than 512k RAM, and wants to be able to choose dual processors, and the capability to have more than two hard drives. Currently the only such option from Alabanza is the RAID-5 package at $1495 a month, and even that may not meet his hard drive needs since it's "only" 18 gigs.

[This message has been edited by JayC (edited 08-26-2000).]

Old 08-28-2000, 02:58 PM
Matt_F

Red face Learn...

The best thing to do is to learn the stuff, start with the books Running Linux,Apache Server Bible, TCP/IP administration, Sendmail or Qmail etc...

Or if you got enough money learn as you go along.

You can also buy plesk (see plesk.com) this a complete server management program for web hosting companies, it install Apache, Qmail, mySQL and configures them, and gives both you and your clients a control panel to administrate them, the cost is $500 per server I believe.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Exabytes Network Listing 2014-04-16 06:30:51
Codero Hosting Listing 2014-04-16 06:30:00
Web Host Milesweb Launches Dedicated Server Hosting in India Web Hosting News 2012-12-31 10:53:51
Web Host Codero Launches Smart Servers Hosting Solutions Web Hosting News 2012-07-19 10:17:36
Canadian Web Host BlackSun Launches Customized Dedicated Servers Web Hosting News 2012-05-28 14:35:45