hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : dumb question about name servers please read?

Forum Jump

dumb question about name servers please read?

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2000, 11:00 PM

Im leasing a RaQ3 and only have 4 sites on it my dumb question is do each of thouse virtual sites have to use the same name server? ...each site is using a differant IP
www.1.com NS1.whatever.com www.2.com NS1.whatever.com www.3.com NS1.whatever.com

thats the way i have them now it seems to work fine and i hope thats the way there soupoused to be? Im learing as i go here.

can you not do it like this?

www.1.com NS1.one.com www.2.com NS1.two.com www.3.com NS1.3.com

I tried it like that but 000domains couldn't find the name server but it did when i setup all sites to use the same nameserver so im guessing all my sites have to use the same name server?

i know nothing as you can tell

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2000, 05:05 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

It depends on your provider some will not let you have multiple nameservers. You can have both IP & name based domains. If you want each domain to have it's own nameserver you will need to create a hole set of records on your server + change the details with i.e NetworkSolutions and they need 1 IP each.

Old 08-26-2000, 09:25 AM
Web Hosting Master

This was cross posted, and Rick, you should check the other post and just keep the discussion to either this one OR the other topic please.

Since he is running DNS from his RaQ itself, I am not sure what this has to do with his provider Coreace? But anyway, read what she said

Please don't cross post, as it just makes it more difficult to answer questions, and you just end up with identical threads.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2000, 08:19 AM
ex-Aussie

Here's a somewhat related question...

Once I install nameservers where my domain is situated (IRL), do they need to propogate the same way domain names do? Right now I'm attempting to stitch my domain name to my new nameservers but am told they don't exist. I've asked this of my tech support, but figured I'd post it here too in case anyone else is or will have the same issue.

Is it a matter of waiting for the two ends to meet in the middle, and is it the usual 24-48 hour wait?

Greg Moore

Old 09-01-2000, 09:01 AM
Web Hosting Master

What you have is two forces working against you. Once you have set up the nameservers on the server itself, you create the host ecords at NetSol (or elsewhere), and this may take a day or so to happen. DNS changes made to your domain may take a day or two and will fully propagate after a week or two. Is this what you meant?

Old 09-01-2000, 09:16 AM
ex-Aussie

thanks for the reply. Umm.. kinda.

Ok, what I need is advise on this one. My nameservers are installed on the server now. My domain is registered through Tucows, by Dreamhost.com when I was there. In a perfect world I'd like to register my nameservers at Tucows as well but I can't for the life of see where I can register them. I tried through the same box as the domain registration but got "ns.net is taken" meaning it read the ns. part of my namerserver but not the rest.

Anyone know of a good place I can just stick in the nameservers and have them registered, anywhere will do. And is there a charge for this?

Thanks.

Greg Moore
http://www.akashik.net

Old 09-01-2000, 08:51 PM
Web Hosting Master

Ok, generally with tucows Opensrs systems (I *think* generally, at least it with many I have seen), you go into the domain you own. It isn't on the general domain registration page. You must go into the domain and then modify your domain. There you should see a list of about 4 options (change this, change that), and at the bottom of that list should be CREATE A NAMESERVER USING THIS DOMAIN or something to that extent. It is extremely easy, and costs nothing.

If your registrar for some reason does not have this link, then try http://manage.opensrs.net/ which should have the link you need.

Note: I am assuming that your domain is registered through the opensrs system. If it is not, then I would create the nameserver record at NetSol. Not quite as easy, but not all that bad.

Old 09-02-2000, 04:37 AM
ex-Aussie

Chicken.

Thanks for the reply. Actually I spent most of last night looking there and it turns out my problem is a simple one. Dreamhost won't cough up the password I require to get into my domain at opensrs, and don't have an option to do it at their site. More emails have been fired off to them, opensrs and tucows and apparently the nameservers have been set by *someone*. Currently I'm waiting for them to spread out so I can change my domain's DNS to point at their own nameservers via Dreamhosts's panel *sigh*

Naturally, now I'm pursuing Dreamhost again in regard to this mystery password which they seem very keen on holding onto and not telling me. To top it off their support isn't the greatest to begin with so it's the swimming through jelly syndrome with them.

They were a fairly good host (if limited) but it seems I fell into the briar patch with them and pulling myself out is one pointy needle at a time. I used to recommend them to people but won't be doing that anymore.

In fact the only way I seem to get any action out of them is to start mentioning things like 'legal procedings' and such. I suppose after this I'll have to go and complain to opensrs directly to see if they can look at their business practices. After all time is money.

Oh yeah, if anyone needs to use the 'live help' at tucows get ready for a frustrating conversation *chuckle*

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Canadian Web Hosting Improves SSD Caching for Shared Hosting Servers Web Hosting News 2013-09-04 13:47:24
Hivelocity Launches Intel DC S3500 SSD Dedicated Server Line Web Hosting News 2013-07-03 14:28:36
SSHD Rootkit in the Wild Blog 2013-02-22 16:44:08
Web Host MTL Servers Launches Shared Cloud Hosting, Cloud Servers Web Hosting News 2012-07-12 14:39:19
2012 WHIR Reader Survey Extended - take a few minutes to complete and win Blog 2012-04-30 11:14:58