Thread: VPN & DCMA

VPN & DCMA

Hello!

I am starting a VPN company that is focused on latency for games so anonymity and no logs etc are not really a big selling point or what most people are using it for. That being said I would prefer to keep them to an absolute minimum but I have some dilemmas.

The reason I mention that is I am concerned about DMCA notices. There will be many users sharing ip addresses with failovers in case of ddos etc. How can I connect a DMCA to a user if they are not each identified by ip. If I get a notice saying they download gameofthrones.avi or something is there any way to have logs that I could then go to and see which user did it and allow me to send them a warning or terminate their account if they break the law/aup.

I read about just blocking p2p but apparently most torrent programs now encrypt at least part of the connection so it is difficult to identify p2p traffic. Also as a lot of users are playing games through the connection it is difficult to block and udp ports/traffic.

Is there a way to log what files users download etc that would help identify who is responsible for the DMCA being issued?

Thanks!

Why would you bother collecting logs? Log storage and parsing will become a huge challenge one day when you hit more than thousand clients.
    DMCA applies in the US only, so simply allowing only known ports will minimize DMCA complaints on the US servers.
    Non US dedicated providers are tolerant to DMCA emails.

if user will no you store logs ...they will not purchase from you

I agree with TheFreeCat. Storing logs is just going to be a pain and actually increase latency to compile and store the logs. Usually something has to wait on something else to write data to a file etc causing wait states.

Look for information like https://support.us.playstation.com/a...y-games-online online to find out which ports are actually used in gaming. Single things like torrents and HTTP are generally TCP and games are generally all UDP. That might be something to take into consideration as well.