hosted by liquidweb


Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : results of host search
Reply

Forum Jump

results of host search

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription
 
Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post

I was looking for a server with PHP 4+ and MySQL. I initially signed up with vservers.com. I just moved to atjeu.com. Here is my experience if anyone is considering them.

Vservers has great sales people. I signed up for a Virtual Server for $55, and it took them 5 days to set up my account. But they were running a beta of PHP that wouldn't be upgraded for a while. Could I have upgraded it myself? In any case, the beta didn't work, so I cancelled. I told them I would rejoin if they got a stable PHP, because their sales staff is so nice. They charged my credit card for the setup fee, but didn't charge me any of the monthly fee. That seems reasonable to me.

I looked into iServer at this point, they were okay. A decent virtual server for $99 was what I wanted (and they offered PHP 4). But they required so many contracts and signatures (you have to fax in a photocopy of your credit card, then mail in the photocopy along with original signatures on a few documents), that it seemed uncomfortable to me, so I didn't pursue it. Contracts contained text that implied or stated that if you pre-pay for a number of months and decide to cancel, they have the option to keep a chunk of your money as a fee (I'll pay month-to-month, thanks).

Atjeu is small, and I like that. When I returned a sales call, they greeted me by name, just from recognizing my voice I guess (or caller ID). I got a 500 mhz dedicated server with 160 megs RAM and 25 GB/transfer for $150/month (this is overkill for me, I just have some high demands of PHP 4, and this was about the only way to get what I wanted). The server was online 2 days after I ordered. However, after snooping some server files, I discovered that the server had only 32 megs of RAM. So I emailed them about that a few hours ago, and haven't heard back yet. Their servers are offline now (including ghosttowns.com, the server that a member of this forum -- Comanche, I think -- hosts there). Despite this, I'm optimistic. I expect this is a bump in the road. They seem like a small group of good people. And it appears to be a good deal, so I hope this is where I can successfully launch my site.

If you're interested in using either company, hopefully my experience is helpful information for you.



Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Alabama of course
Posts: 1,516
Post

Well ateju.com traces back to a line provided by http://www.digitalf.com/ which suggests possible DSL line running the servers.

Just be cautious......


Sincerely
Daniel Pearson~

  #3  
Old
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Woah. Daniel, you really freaked me out. I was thinking, "another move, more wasted cash?!?" I *think* I'm okay, here's why. First, I went to digitalf.com, and they offer more than DSL, including real lines and co-location, so that's good. Second, atjeu.com states in writing that they have multiple T1 connections, so they'd open themselves to charges of fraud if they didn't. Third, I called digitalf.com, and asked them to spill the beans on their client. They refused, of course, but would confirm that atjeu.com is "not a kid with a DSL line." They also told me that digitalf.com itself had 3 T1 lines, multihomed. Finally, I went to networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/whois/whois/ and entered "server NSW750-HST" to see a list of all the sites that Atjeu hosts. Their client list seems reasonable, like they're not a fake company.

The down side? Because you freaked me out, I did some checking. I researched Comanche, the Atjeu customer that recommended them. I noted that Comanche has only posted 4 times, each time to hype Atjeu. I noted that a domain search on his ghosttowns.com site revealed an address just 5 or 10 minutes away from Atjeu's listed address, and Atjeu is listed as the owner. I went to the better business bureau site, and looked up the addresses for both Atjeu and Comanche, and turned up a "Todd Underwood" at the Ghosttowns address. "Todd Webmaster" is listed as the Atjeu domain name owner.

In addition, setting up the server was hellish. I mentioned that I ordered a 500 mhz box with 160 megs/RAM. I actually got a 475 mhz box with 32 megs/RAM. I told them I knew that and should be upgraded, they told me they upgraded it, and when I checked again, I had 64 megs of RAM. I told them again, they swore it was okay, I showed them stuff from "more /proc/meminfo" and they finally got it right. However, they forgot to install PHP 4, so I had to do it myself.

Ugh. All this work, and some legitimate curious questions in my mind. But I've decided to stick with Atjeu for now, because the server is finally working right, and they do appear to have a legit connection to the net, and legit customers. They also seem pretty nice, like I can call them and they recognize me and try hard to fix stuff for me. But I wish stuff didn't need to be fixed in the first place.

We'll see how they turn out long-run.

Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Alabama of course
Posts: 1,516
Post

didn't mean to freak you out there, Just pointing out the possibilities there.

If digital elf themselves has 3 T1's multihomed then The "most" Ateju.com would have would be two even if that many.

Its allways good to investigate a host, and then the fact that they tried to insist that the system was fine even though you saw and knew about the meminfo ect, they would "HAVE" to know how much ram they put in there as the servers would be in their offices with the T1

I hope you have good dealings with them



------------------
Sincerely~
Daniel Pearson
UltraSpeed USA
http://www.ultraspeedusa.com
AIM: UltraSpeedUSA
ICQ: 7021831
Email: dpearson@ultraspeedusa.com
Phone: 1-205-785-1872

  #5  
Old
Founder - Jaguarpc
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 2,247
Post

Just my thoughts, but I would run away after such experiences already. If anything a host first impression is usually their best one.
Thats just my 2 cents

  #6  
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 76
Post

### 500 mhz dedicated server with 160 megs RAM and 25 GB/transfer for $150/month ###


Stay away. It's too cheap and can't survive. hmm... we never seem to get rid of those wannabe ISP's.

  #7  
Old
Dedicated Hosting Specialist
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Internet
Posts: 464
Post

If they are paying for quality parts, the server alone will cost them about $1000.

------------------
Mike Astin


Last edited by Chicken; 06-28-2002 at 01:17 PM.
  #8  
Old
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Alright, time to set the record straight. Since when did this posting board become a place to lambast other hosting companies?

First off, the server in question was setup with 160 megs of ram, unfortunately, linux didnt see it all even though it was there. We didnt realize that until it was pointed out by our client and we fixed it immediately as soon as we tracked the problem down. It was a linux/motherboard issue. The server has a 500mhz processor installed. We can post a picture of it if that is what it takes. Second, we are not a bunch of kids with dsl, there are 5 of us at Atjeu. Yes, we own ghosttowns.com. The person who goes by comanche works for ktj and part time at atjeu so we are glad he posts positive things for us. We post using atjeu as the name. Next, if you do a server nsw750-hst it comes up only with a list of our virtual accounts. 90% of our business is dedicated servers (other hosting companies)which dont show up at all since they all do their own dns. The list whois returns is not even up to date as there are some on there that are not hosted by us due to bulk mail violations like netspyonline and others that dont show up. On the night in question, we did have down time due to a fiber line going down intermittantly which took out 20 isps/connectivity co's all at once and was fixed by the telco co asap. No one can offer 100%uptime and our only down time ever has been due to the telco co 100%. Finally, our prices are very reasonable and we know we wont be able to keep them this low forever, but, we offer great service and tech support and are there for our customers. If you want triple 0c48s in an underground data center with raised floors and 3 megawatt diesels in the parking lot, then we are not the hosting company for you. Of course you cant get prices like ours at a company like that either. Our customers have been very happy with our service and all we can say is that we give it 1000% all the time to make our customers happy. No one could possible have a problem with that! - Atjeu

  #9  
Old
Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 558
Atjeu's Network

Just to set the record straight - because its been a few years and people are still referring back to this terrible post - Atjeu has a 24 count dedicated fiber line to their facility. A 24 count fiber can run up to 6 OC-192's on a single wavelength - an unlimited amount on multiple wavelengths. Atjeu is currently running OC12 and 3 wide open DS3-3's on this fiber with 3 Tier1 backbone connections, Savvis bridging (1 hop peering with almost all the backbones that exist), and all private peering. This fiber is not shared with any other company, it is dedicated to Atjeu. Lets put all the dsl and t1 mumbo jumbo to rest - thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally posted by DanielP
Well ateju.com traces back to a line provided by http://www.digitalf.com/ which suggests possible DSL line running the servers.

Just be cautious......


Sincerely
Daniel Pearson~

  #10  
Old
Away
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,278
Quote:
Originally posted by atjeu
Alright, time to set the record straight. Since when did this posting board become a place to lambast other hosting companies?

First off, the server in question was setup with 160 megs of ram, unfortunately, linux didnt see it all even though it was there. We didnt realize that until it was pointed out by our client and we fixed it immediately as soon as we tracked the problem down. It was a linux/motherboard issue. The server has a 500mhz processor installed. We can post a picture of it if that is what it takes. Second, we are not a bunch of kids with dsl, there are 5 of us at Atjeu. Yes, we own ghosttowns.com. The person who goes by comanche works for ktj and part time at atjeu so we are glad he posts positive things for us. We post using atjeu as the name. Next, if you do a server nsw750-hst it comes up only with a list of our virtual accounts. 90% of our business is dedicated servers (other hosting companies)which dont show up at all since they all do their own dns. The list whois returns is not even up to date as there are some on there that are not hosted by us due to bulk mail violations like netspyonline and others that dont show up. On the night in question, we did have down time due to a fiber line going down intermittantly which took out 20 isps/connectivity co's all at once and was fixed by the telco co asap. No one can offer 100%uptime and our only down time ever has been due to the telco co 100%. Finally, our prices are very reasonable and we know we wont be able to keep them this low forever, but, we offer great service and tech support and are there for our customers. If you want triple 0c48s in an underground data center with raised floors and 3 megawatt diesels in the parking lot, then we are not the hosting company for you. Of course you cant get prices like ours at a company like that either. Our customers have been very happy with our service and all we can say is that we give it 1000% all the time to make our customers happy. No one could possible have a problem with that! - Atjeu
This post is kind of old but I'll post anyway. I had an atjeu server back when they had a single T1 to eli.net. It was horrible, not only was it slow but the support was horrible, we dropped them like a bad habit and I will try and warn others of this.

  #11  
Old
Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 558
Unhappy uncool post

Quote:
Originally posted by dk2


This post is kind of old but I'll post anyway. I had an atjeu server back when they had a single T1 to eli.net. It was horrible, not only was it slow but the support was horrible, we dropped them like a bad habit and I will try and warn others of this.
Well, the only time we EVER had a single T1 to ELI was during a short transition period while we moved into our new facility - ELI is crap and everyone knows it but it was all that was available - We are sorry if you happened to get something during that moving period, but it certainly does not reflect our companies current status at all. We have one of the most high end hosting companies out there with dedicated fiber optics as posted above and our support is absolutely top notch - which is why most of our customers go and stay with us - its what we are known for more than anything else - We dare anyone to try us. Whoever you are posting this stuff about us, its unfounded - if you had a bad experience we are truly sorry, but no reason to keep up the mud slinging - come on back, well give you a free server for a month!


Last edited by atjeu; 07-06-2002 at 09:36 PM.
  #12  
Old
Junior Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 189
Atjeu, been great..

We are using them for a year, and they been a great hosting company, they are small, but you will get a good personal support. all support request been answerd very fast. they even helped us when our server had been hacked at 2am.

I recommand them for anyone from my experience.

Reply

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Right to be Forgotten Spreads to Japan as Google Deletes One-Third of EU Requests Web Hosting News 2014-10-10 11:21:08
Google, Microsoft Create Algorithm to Block Child Abuse Search Terms Web Hosting News 2013-11-18 14:59:58
HostingCon and the 6 Keys to Improving Sales Results Blog 2013-06-19 09:21:16
Why You Should Embrace Google Plus Blog 2013-03-08 09:18:17
Web Host Lunarpages Partners to Provide SEO Services to Customers Web Hosting News 2012-10-26 16:31:31


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Postbit Selector

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Login:
Log in with your username and password
Username:
Password:



Forgot Password?
WHT Host Brief Email:

We respect your privacy. We will never sell, rent, or give away your address to any outside party, ever.

Advertisement:
Web Hosting News:
WHT Membership
WHT Membership



 

X

Welcome to WebHostingTalk.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

WebHostingTalk.com is the largest, most influentual web hosting community on the Internet. Join us by filling in the form below.


(4 digit year)

Already a member?