Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

monitoring your web host and oh yeah....mchost sucks

Is there a way to cheaply monitor your clients web sites, to see when they are actually not available. So when customers bitch at me, I can say, your site was available 99% of the time...here's the proof. I would pay for this service to monitor my clients sites.

McHost is giving me monster headaches. I can understand when my sites are down here and there, but they never give email notice either way and there is no way to contact them. My old username and login don't work anymore. NO WAY TO CONTACT THEM. No phone number. How hard is it to have a phone number for your business???

The freaking McHost forums, hosted on their site, for customers to chat and get questions answered is down too. That is why I'm posting here.

Alertra (http://www.alertra.com) works very well

Is there a way to cheaply monitor your clients web sites,
    We've just switched from www.alertra.com to www.websitepulse.com and are very happy.

Both services are great but websitepulse is that bit cheaper!

Cheers,

MCHost is the Worst!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just switched to http://www.RSMHost.com and i am very happy so far...

MCHost is a bunch of cheating bastards...

No comment on MChost, but I found the subject of this one quite funny....

Re: monitoring your web host and oh yeah....mchost sucks

Originally posted by phatone
    The freaking McHost forums, hosted on their site, for customers to chat and get questions answered is down too. That is why I'm posting here.
    Maybe their forum just needed the weekends off?
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Originally posted by Eurofficial
    We've just switched from www.alertra.com to www.websitepulse.com and are very happy.

Both services are great but websitepulse is that bit cheaper!

Cheers,
    I can't see www.websitepulse.com is cheaper then www.alertra.com, but features.

Let say, I fi monitor a single host for httpd only, at alertra.com is cost $2.99/month, but at websitepulse, it cost $3.00, alertra monitor from multiply location, but websitepulse have additional charge for multiply location monitor.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Sales Department
    Serverlabs Network
    http://www.serverlabs.com
    Reliable, Affordable, Fast and Quality Reseller Hosting Service

It depends on what ports you are monitoring and at what intervals.

We monitor http and ping every 1 minute and it works out cheaper for us to use websitepulse.

I see, Thanks you for correct me..

I didn't check with 1 minute intervals.
    Sales Department
    Serverlabs Network
    http://www.serverlabs.com
    Reliable, Affordable, Fast and Quality Reseller Hosting Service

folks, thank you for the helpful links to server monitoring.

Looks like I'll have to switch hosts now as well.

McHost is still down. None of my domains have been working for almost 24 hours now. No way to get through to them. It is sad. What a effing joke. Funny thing is though when I signed up with them, people on WHT were gung ho about them. That was a little over a year ago. A shame.

Can anyone give Marc an IM or something. Tell him Paris is down.

www.siteuptime.com is free, I've been using it for about a month now with no problems.

www.internetseer.com is also free.Weekly reports are generated and sent to your address.

I have serious doubt abouts internetseers acuracy. When we used them we seemed to get many false alerts. They also try to get you to sign up with their hosting packages.

well actually i dont say internetseer is great.Its just for free.But companies mostly offer free services for a limited time and they try to get you signed up with some of their services until you sign up or you get bored of the emails they send and you give up using their free services.

Originally posted by phatone
    Funny thing is though when I signed up with them, people on WHT were gung ho about them. That was a little over a year ago. A shame.
    I remember that too. Same with Aletia. It's a WHT disease.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

Re: Re: monitoring your web host and oh yeah....mchost sucks

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    Maybe their forum just needed the weekends off?
    hehe

Alertra is worth the price.

why are mchost not doing so well now? They use to have a great rep.
    Reseller plans are an endagered species... TiServers coming soon.

Originally posted by TiServers
    why are mchost not doing so well now? They use to have a great rep.
    lol....
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

It was a serious question...
    Reseller plans are an endagered species... TiServers coming soon.

As I said earlier, it's a WHT affliction. A host gets popular here, gets loads of accounts very quickly and then has problems on overloaded boxes or not enough staff. I'm not saying that MCHost do suck as I have never used them - same with Aletia. Just going by alot of forum posts to that affect.

It does appear that Aletia and MCHost had the same problem though, EXACTLTY the same. But it also looks like with JagPC's Aletia buyout, Aletia has already bottomed out and is back on the rise again.

Also, if a host gets the majority of its customers here, where do you think those customers are going to run to when the brown stuff hits the whirring blades?

So...because I couldn't post in McHost forums (one day ago it said they were down for a 'few' hours), they are still not up, I couldn't log into my helpdesk to submit a ticket because they required re-registration with new credit card info (an invitation for double billing as they changed processors), I emailed Marc at 8am EST, he got back to me at 2pm EST...and said everything is fine...It is 9:45pm EST, and still no updates. All my client sites are dead. It's been about 36 hours. Marc has had all day to fix this. Let's go Marc, prove your stuff. You've got all my info. Ping my IP address. You'll see nothing happen.

I think website monitoring is a must. Thanks again for posting those links to those places, I will definately check them out.

I just realized that reliability is way more important than anything in a webhost....yet very few web hosts give it more than lip service. Monitoring stats can give some beef when people say we are "reliable".

Sorry to vent here.

What type of monitoring would you reccomend if we had just a reseller account? Any?

thanks

phatone, alot of repuatable hosts have stats on show for their customers and the outside world. Pair, HTTPme (and HN) among others. Uptime is king, support is next. Hosts have to have both - including the ability to fix problems on the weekend, lol.

No difference taylor, a domain is a domain and a domain is used for monitoring, or IP, or main server hostname.

As a reseller you can:

Monitor the hostname of the server your reseller provider is utilizing for your reseller account.
    Then monitor your own domain, or a customer domain of "Yours"
    And then monitor an IP on the server

This will help you differentiate the different between DNS servers failing, the network failing or apache to some degree.

traceroute and ping are your friends as well.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Taylor, as far as I'm concerned, a reseller shouldn't even have a need to monitor their sites. Your host should be doing that and if they have uptime stats available, even better. But if you suspect your host has no such monitoring, I recommend you spend $6/mo on Alertra monitoring (httpb at 10 minute intervals),

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast