Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Thursday is upgrade day

We'll be updating the forum software on Thursday, April 9. The site will be unavailable during the upgrading process. Best guess would be that it'll begin around 9am EST and take 4-5 hours to complete. Those aren't hard numbers. But it's going to be something like that.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

New design or?
    ★★★★★
    HostSlim - Premium Managed Hosting Solutions
    Dedicated & Premium Hosting - Premium Network - 1.6Tbps DDoS Protection Available - OWN DATACENTER NETHERLANDS
    Resell Whitelabel Dedicated Servers - Twitter: @HostSlim - www.HostSlim.eu - Facebook: @HostSlimBV

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue View Post
    Best guess would be that it'll begin around 9am EST and take 4-5 hours to complete. Those aren't hard numbers. But it's going to be something like that.
    When I'm sleeping, so no downtime for me

Vbulletin 4 yuck or Xenforo or a theme?

As we are already on VBulletin 3.8.7 (<meta name="generator" content="vBulletin 3.8.7" />)

Edit oh bugger 3.8.9 is out now: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...n-3-8-9-beta-1

While you're at it, take a look at the code tag, it's using a style that doesn't use a fixed width font which defeats the purpose and various plaintext stuff (eg. mtr reports) is still hard to read. I reported that under Feedback a while ago but it went unnoticed: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1444780

Unhappy

Well I guess this is another site goodbye for me.....

I wont be here anymore if it gets worse,im sorry.....

I love WHT and its sickening TO UPGRADE TO CRAP for no blasted reason!

A FEW YEARS AGO YOU SAID YOU WERENT GOING TO DO IT!!!!!!!! (I hope we are only going to 3.8.9 denny)

Oh no.. what will we do?? Why don't you run the upgrades during off peak hours?
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

Well i hope the "upgrade" comes with some sort of "design" update as well. WHT is getting a bit outdated and will loose authority if it continues the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Licensecart-Mike View Post
    Vbulletin 4 yuck or Xenforo or a theme?
    As I understand it, VB4. Xenforo may work for smaller and less busy sites, but the tools and addons are nowhere near what's needed for WHT.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    A FEW YEARS AGO YOU SAID YOU WERENT GOING TO DO IT!!!!!!!!
    That was true, a few years ago, we didn't.
    Times change, needs change. When software becomes so old and out of date that the patches that have been patched need patching...something needs to be done. Getting all the communities being operated by Penton/iNet using the same platform greatly reduces the odds of something being missed for security and usability.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Times change, needs change. When software becomes so old and out of date that the patches that have been patched need patching...something needs to be done. Getting all the communities being operated by Penton/iNet using the same platform greatly reduces the odds of something being missed for security and usability.
    Better to be safe than sorry, I remembered what happened several times...
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    That was true, a few years ago, we didn't.
    But there is BETTER STUFF than VB4 or 5!!!!!! (Both are garbage compared to this and a disgrace to vbulletin)

IPB IS MUCH BETTER.... Why not goto that??

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    IPB IS MUCH BETTER.... Why not goto that??
    It would make little sense to move to something not in use on all the other properties they have, for reasons already mentioned. The others are running VB4, AFAIK, so this will be as well.
    Not many embrace change when it's something they're used to that appears to work well. Lots of changes for moderating staff, too, but it's happening. We will all survive and cope as best we can.

As I understand it, VB4. Xenforo may work for smaller and less busy sites, but the tools and addons are nowhere near what's needed for WHT.
    If WHT goes to VBulletin 4 it will die, VBulletin is ugly, poor and waste of money.

As for Xenforo addons I thought WHT had their own team of developers who make addons for the forum, I'm sure they can make them, and as for busy sites: IGN: http://www.ign.com/boards/ DigitalPoint: https://forums.digitalpoint.com/ and even cPanel: http://forums.cpanel.net use it...

It would make little sense to move to something not in use on all the other properties they have, for reasons already mentioned. The others are running VB4, AFAIK, so this will be as well.
    Not many embrace change when it's something they're used to that appears to work well. Lots of changes for moderating staff, too, but it's happening. We will all survive and cope as best we can.
    An upgrade will be a good thing, long term anyway. May take some getting use to, rattle some feathers, but it needs to be done.

Hopefully an upgrade was run in some type of staging environment first though. That tends to highlight potential issues prior to a live upgrade. If WHT is down too long, people might actually have to work or something.
    Blesta - The Billing Platform for Hosting Providers
    Client Management, Billing, & Support Software
    Trial - Demo | 714-923-7325 | Twitter @blesta

If WHT goes to VBulletin 4 it will die
    Many have predicted that when every change has been discussed or implemented. Happily, they've been wrong so far.

Quote Originally Posted by pphillips View Post
    Hopefully an upgrade was run in some type of staging environment first though.
    Indeed. It was being tested by the devs for a time, then opened for mods to see and test/break then report what they see is a problem. This upgrade on Thursday is after testing, though I'm sure some more things will shake out after.

Quote Originally Posted by Licensecart-Mike
    If WHT goes to VBulletin 4 it will die, VBulletin 4,5 is ugly, poor and waste of money.
    Exactly..... They put that FREEWHT on VB4 and its quite ugly,a bit slower,etc........ I left!! (Ugly icons,smilies,etc)

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Not many embrace change when it's something they're used to that appears to work well.
    No not when the change IS WORSE!!!! (Im not trying to make you mad Bear,im trying to help)

I'm not mad at all.
    The change is coming, and the decision was made by the folks that own the place. Ultimately it's for the greater good, and I support the decision even if it makes things awkward and difficult at first.

I hear ya buddy.....

Its sad people do not value GOOD things anymore...... ALL THATS LEFT IN OUR WORLD THAT IS GOOD IS BEING REPLACED WITH CRAP AND ITS SAD BEAR

I wouldn't call years out of date, repeatedly self patched and increasingly hard to manage software "good". I'm no fan of VB4, but it's in somewhat better shape than v3 by this late date, and it's what they use for other properties they own/run, so easier to maintain and develop for.
    Give it a chance. Look past the fact it's changed; keep an open mind and you'll see.

Change should be welcomed not feared, if not for change we'd all still be in the stone-age. And of course it won't always be pretty and it won't always be the best choice but it'll always be what moves us all forward. I'm sure that if vb4 will be a total wreck it'll force their hand to upgrade even further to vb5 or xenforo. I say give it a chance before hating it.

Quote Originally Posted by HB-Andrei View Post
    Change should be welcomed not feared, if not for change we'd all still be in the stone-age. And of course it won't always be pretty and it won't always be the best choice but it'll always be what moves us all forward. I'm sure that if vb4 will be a total wreck it'll force their hand to upgrade even further to vb5 or xenforo. I say give it a chance before hating it.
    I dowt it, members including me have been against upgrading to VB4 before: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1399443 and http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1331449

And guess what a lot like WHT as it is on the software it is, but hey our opinions and feedback doesn't matter on WHT not any more the same thing happened when they changed their rules.... "No Unlimited offers" a lot of people went against it, what happened... Boom! They ignored us the members and did it anyway...

As for VB4 / VB5 rubbish see: http://vbtruth.com/ and see why people hate that software. VB1, VB2, VB3 was brilliant and made by Jelsoft and then InternetBrands brought them out and mucked it up.
    Last edited by Atlanical-Mike; 04-08-2015 at 10:14 AM.

It is a shame they are not moving to Xenforo, ugh at VB4. Hopefully the upgrade at least goes smoothly.
    John W, CISSP, C|EH
    MS Information Security and Assurance
    ITEagleEye.com - Server Administration and Security
    Yawig.com - Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers with VIP Service

our opinions and feedback doesn't matter on WHT not any more the same thing happened when they changed their rules.... "No Unlimited offers" a lot of people went against it
    That's not true. If I recall the poll, more were for it, if only by a small amount. Opinions of the members matter, but they're not the only consideration. Some mods were also against unlimited (myself included), and some were ok with it. In the end, opinions were weighed, and those against lost. It happens in all things; forums, democracy and life.
    Quote Originally Posted by eth00 View Post
    It is a shame they are not moving to Xenforo, ugh at VB4. Hopefully the upgrade at least goes smoothly.
    Not everyone loves Xenforo (or VB4, for that matter).

Many have predicted that when every change has been discussed or implemented. Happily, they've been wrong so far.
    Well...i would argue that WHT is not as it used to be a few years back. I think i'll leave it there.

That's not true. If I recall the poll, more were for it, if only by a small amount. Opinions of the members matter, but they're not the only consideration. Some mods were also against unlimited (myself included), and some were ok with it.
    Let's recall the poll: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1236237

Should we allow Unlimited offers on WHT?
    Yes: 178 - 29.67%
    No: 339 - 56.50%
    No Preference (I'm good either way): 34 - 5.67%
    Yes - But I'll post recommended restrictions in the thread: 49 - 8.17%

Now I got a D in my GCSE Maths but come on I'm sure 339 is bigger than 178. Even with both Yes's it's still 227. Again smaller than 339.

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast