Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Reseller Account Questions

Hi ALL

I have several websites and instead of paying for hosting
    for each individual website have decided to purchase a resellers account and host my own sites and maybe sell site hosting when I am more experienced as a reseller.
    Prob is , I donot have any experience as a reseller and wondering how difficult it is going to be to set up my various site accounts under my own hosting ...

I have basic questions like ...

What IP addresses do I use ???
    Where do I get the IP's ??? ...

Is setting up an account very difficult ... do I need to be a seasoned pro to do this ???
    Is there somewhere on the net I can go that shows in detail how to set up an website account under a reseller ???

By the way , I have been looking at 24hostingnow.com's reseller plans and have been considering opening up a reseller account there ...
    whaddaya think of 24hostingnow.com as a place to purchase a resellers account from ???

Thank You

actually those questions should be answered by your own provider.. when you get an account, you should get some kind of instructions on how to do it plus access to a FAQs Database with similar questions.. The answer to your questions varies from host to a host and depends on what Control Panel they use.
    CW3 Web Hosting - Merchant Accounts-Private Label Reseller Plans
    http://cw3host.com and http://home.cyberweb3.net

Hi MB2003,

I'll try and help you with some of your questions:

What IP addresses do I use ???

When you open a reseller account somewhere, your account/site will have at least one IP address assigned to it by the web host. Your web site(s) will now have this IP address. This is set automatically by your host, but for your domain to become active on this reseller account you will have to change the name servers in your domain record (you would do this through your registrar).

Where do I get the IP's ??? ...

As mentioned above, your web host (the company providing the reseller account) will automatically assign you an IP. Sometimes they can assign more than one so you can create several sites, each with its own IP address.

Is setting up an account very difficult ... do I need to be a seasoned pro to do this ???

The hosting company will setup your reseller account for you. To create web site accounts, you would normally use a control panel and fill out some fields to create a site. You don't have to be a pro but you should read the documentation that comes with the reseller account.

Is there somewhere on the net I can go that shows in detail how to set up an website account under a reseller ???

Usually the hosting company will provide you with detailed instructions on how to do this. The procedure may vary by hosting companies (e.g. if they use different control panel software), so you should only read the instructions provided by your host.

whaddaya think of 24hostingnow.com as a place to purchase a resellers account from ???

I know nothing about their service, but their prices seem competitive and they have a user-friendly control panel (CPanel / WHM). Maybe someone else who has used them can give you more information. Or you may try using the "Search" link at the top of the screen and enter their name.

Please post again if you need more help!

Mark
    DirectAdmin Web Control Panel
    http://www.directadmin.com
    sales@directadmin.com

How cpanel reseller accounts work is your main domain is the authoritive for all of your subaccounts/other domains.

So, you decide what is your main domain, get a reseller account. Provider gives you IPs to register names servers for the main domain.

Change your name servers and register the name servers (Free) and then your main domain (After 24 to 48 hours) will act as a host.

Now, start changing your other domain's name servers to ns1.yourmaindomain.com and ns2.yourmaindomain.com or whatever your host gives you for host names (Or whatever you request (Ex: nameserver1.maindomain.com nameserver2.maindomain.com)

After you change all of your sub account's dns settings to your main domain, the server the main domain resides on will be expected to answer for those domains by providing resources (IE, web, mail etc)

During propagation is when people finish moving accounts where they should be on the new server.

It isn't a difficult process, nor hard to commence, just get started and all will be well, just make sure you find a host willing to help you through the process and actually knows what the hell they are doing.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Thanks Everybody ...

This really clears a lot up for me .

Thanks again

MB2003

MB, this will help as well.

On CPanel/WHM there are three general levels of access.

ROOT, RESELLER, END USER ACCOUNT

The root is what your provider will setup your reseller account with, and manage the server partly.

The reseller account is an END USER ACCOUNT with reseller access.

Reseller access allows you to create END USER ACCOUNTS

The reseller account only acts as authoritive for the end user accounts (Which is the need for the extra IPs)

So, your main domain will have access to two control panels, while your customers will have access to just one, the end user control panel.'

The reseller account looks like the demo on our site (PM me if you cannot find it).

It is a simple way of creating an account on the server.

What you will need to know is your name servers, the username and password for the account from your customer.

Then you go about making the account with your special reseller control panel, all done? Send them a welcome e-mail telling them how they can log into their end user account control panel.
    dotGig

Thanks ... Samuel .

Hmmmm .....

I have another question ...

My Reseller Package host , has provided me with 2 IP addresses to issue to our new sign ups ( ns1 & ns2 ) , both of which contain theirname.com beside the actual IP numbers .

Is this typical ????

I would think that they would issue me IP's with our name beside them or no name at all ????

Was told that it would cost an additional $ 24.00 per year to have ourname.com beside the actual IP numbers ... Is This also Typical ???

Thanks

ns1

Actually, while I've seen some providers do this, really you're being shortchanged in private label host names.

They should register the host names in requard to your domain name.

Example: You have the domain myhost.com
    You ask us, please give me a reseller account.
    We set aside two ips, and register the hostnames you either would like to have bigserver.myhost.com (For name server 1) biggerserver.myhost.com (For name server 2)

You then receive this information, hostnames, and relative ips associated with those hostnames.

I would think your example is not typical.
    dotGig

Hmmmm ...

That's the conclusion we have come to at this end ... Shortchanged !

This host has a rather low fee and offers quite a bit , normally this would raise suspicion but in checking their rep here at WHT , they seemed pretty solid , however, that was as a regular host , I didnt get anybody to comment on their reseller pavkages .
    Once again , I feel the ole ... low price ... hidden fee thing coming into play here !!!

Looks like we may as well begin looking at other reseller hosting before we really get set up completely there !!!

Look, it should come down to this generally.

Does your reseller do what they can to remain anonymous (Anonymous domain names for the hostnames on the server), do they give relatively the most control to you to allow you to manage what is conciviably what you need to manage (Resynching FTP passwords isnt a security problem, let them have it)
    Do they talk to you as a person, or do they talk to you like "One of the others"

Service should not have to be squeezed out of a lemon =)
    dotGig

Not every reseller account comes with dedicated IP's (for use as private nameservers). Some resellers are satisfied with using the nameservers of their webhost (and paying a little less). Other resellers want to mask as much as possible the fact that they are resellers of their webhost, and want to have their own private nameservers (usually two, each of which takes one IP address). In the latter case, the reseller account usually costs a little bit more in the first place, or the reseller pays for IP addresses as an option (perhaps $1 per month per IP address -- $24 per year -- or more).

Let me say some of the same things already said, but differently. You may already use a control panel for your websites, say, cPanel. When you become a reseller, you get a reseller control panel assigned to the account designated as your reseller account. The reseller control panel used with cPanel is called WHM (WebHost Manager). You use the reseller control panel to set up accounts for your customers and their domains. (For the moment, the "customers" are "you." Then your customers get to use a control panel for each account. This is part of the automatic setup using the reseller control panel (in this example, WHM).

You can find control panel demos all over the place. Perhaps best to visit the website of the manufacturer of the control panels that you will use (cPanel/WHM, Plesk, Ensim, etc.).

1000 Mb Space
    5 GB Bandwidth

This is the reseller account that I purchased as a basic startup package and the account I have been speaking of ...
    For now , 3 ( total ) sites will reside in/under this package / account .

My hosting company website who will be re - selling the service which I'll call ... ( myhostingco.com )
    and 2 other websites which are presently on another host server which I'll have moved over via DNS change once I get this all figured out ...

The 2 sites which will be moved over ,I'll call Newsite #1 and Newsite #2 .

I would gather that ( myhostingco.com ) webspace ( MB & Bandwith ) is included within that 1000MB & 5000GB as well .

Should the first thing I do in the resellers CP be to set up an account for ( myhostingco.com ) which specifies and limits the space and bandwith ...
    let's say : ( myhostingco.com ) = 200MB space & 1000 MB Bandwith .

Then set the other 2 accounts ...
    Lets say : Newsite #1 = 100MB space and 1500 Bandwidth .
    and

Newsite #2 = 100MB space and 1500 Bandwidth ... Am I on the right Track ?????

Question also ... What would happen if Newsite #1 or Newsite #2 should exceed their allotment of space ???...
    Does this automatically shut their accounts down or do I have control ( in the resellers CP ) over what happens if they exceed ????

Thanks a million for your help and time guys !!!!

Without knowing all the details about your particular arrangement with your host, it is hard to tell for sure, but --

Generally, your own domain is included in your account disk space and data transfer limits.

You are on the right track with setting up newsites #1 and #2.

Your other questions may or may not be dependent upon the reseller control panel that you are using. I am not familiar with them all. Please tell us which reseller control panel you are using (WHM, Ensim, Plesk, etc.), so that one of us can help you more specifically.
    Last edited by cove; 06-08-2003 at 06:56 PM.

cpanel/WHM

I have a Cpanel/WHM reseller's account at a different host, and the way the bandwidth limits work is that when one of your resold sites reach their limit, the URL is no longer accessible. So the limits really do mean something.

But my reseller account doesn't get cut off ... I just pay for more bandwidth! So while its possible to oversell the space and bandwidth, with the idea that not everyone will utilize all of it, you have to be prepared to pay the price for too much overselling.

And just another thought on the nameserver thing: I make it clear to prospective accounts .... even on my sign-up page ... that I'm not a hosting company that provides uptime guarantees, support 24/7, etc. I'm marketing to a specific niche, those who want economical web space for a personal or hobbyist site. I'll service the heck out of them, of course, but I don't promise that up front. They get my cell phone number, but I don't promise that up front either.

If they have a mission-critical site, I encourage them to sign up with my host through an affilliate link. Its a win-win, because I haven't promised them something I won't be able to deliver, and they get a great hosting company ... and I get a referral fee. Just something to think about.

My understanding is that when a host sets up a reseller account, overselling can be either enabled or disabled. I'm thinking that if overselling is disabled, it will not be possible to run into overcharges. Since I am far beyond my knowledge curve on this issue, perhaps someone who knows more about this can tell us.

Because of many horror stories here on the WHT, I am leery of having an account that could incur overcharges. See, for example:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=146101

Can someone tell me what shell access is ???

Thanks

If you don't know what shell access is you probably don't need it. But to answer your question. Shell access allows you to perform some tasks at the command line (like dos) of the server.
    Bonnie - http://ansmediagroup.com - http://peachydomains.com
    Hosting since Aug 3, 2002 - Domain Registration since Feb 26, 2003
    Former CredibleHost clients can access their domains at http://access.enom.com to update their dns entries. I may be contacted for any reaons by emailing me through these forums.

Thank you and you are correct , I don't need that at this point .

Thanks again

Update :

Thanks to you all here and the great input and how to that I've received from you , I have finally got my 3 site accounts set up via Resellers CP and am now ready to do the DNS change .

Also , because of the great reputation here and at other forums that I have checked at and the additional input I received from you here I am gonna stay with my present reseller package host and fork over the extra 24 buxx a year ( $ 2.00 per month ) for the dedicated IP's ...
    In the other packages that I've looked at I would actually be paying for them anyways and in most cases getting far less control and / or features .

Thanks again !!!!!!
    MB2003

You are most welcome. Always nice to have an appreciative visitor! About six months from now, you will be the one posting advice to newbies!

WeLLL ...

Uhhhh ... I thought things were OK !

However, this is turning into a nightmare ... and fast !!!!!

I need some input here ... PuHLeeezE !!!!

Going all the way back to the prior page there , I was inquiring about IP's .
    The IP that was issued to me after purchasing the resellers package and I was told this would be used to issue to any new signups was one in which contained there name ...

EX : 11.111.11.11 : theirhostingname.com .

I wanted an IP with our own hosting domain name attached to it ...

EX : 11.111.11.11 : ourhostingname.com ...

OK, so I was told in order to do this I would need to purchase ( 24.00 a year ) an dedicated IP and this would allow me to have our host name attached to it , not theirs and this is would I would issue to all new signups .

Nowwww ...

After goin on and forkin over the addidtional 24.00 a year for this IP ,we received the following notice ...

" Hello,
    would you like to switch more sites to that IP or just your domain name. Please let me know there are any others domains that will use the IP. We need the domain names to move them to the new IP.
    Best Wishes, ". , ...

Ok , so I go on and provide the other 2 sites that will use this newly purchased IP with our name attached to it as requested ....

I then get a notice from another person telling me , I now need to purchase a dedicated server ( below in quotes ) ....

Hmmmm ....

ArG !

Duhhhhh !!!!!

" Hello ,

Regarding your needs that cannot be satisfied on a shared server as it has only one shared IP and several other dedicated IP and a dedicated IP cannot be shared -- for your fulfillments you will have to purchase a Dedicated Server -- which will have an shared IP and can be shared by all the domains under you. ". , ...

Ok , ...

So what's Wrong With This Picture ????????

HELP !!!!

Oh ....

I need to add this ...

I then sent the below email in reply to the person who sent me that dedicated server info ...

Email From Me In Response ...

" Ok, now I am being told something alltogether different !

I was already rold that the way to do this is to purchase a dedicated IP and all of our signups would use this IP...
    In the same fashion as when we were issued the IP 11.111.11.11 and were told that all signups would use this IP .

Below is one of the correspondences received referencing this after purchasing the new IP ...

"Hello,
    would you like to switch more sites to that IP or just your domain name. Please let me know there are any others domains that will use the IP. We need the domain names to move them to the new IP.".,...

Now we're being told we need to buy a server ?

????????????? "., ...

--END OF MY EMAIL IN RESPONSE --

And from that same person I just now received this in reply to the above ...

" .... has responded to your help desk request.
    -----------------------------------------------
    ( ) wrote on 11-6-2003-8:16 :
    -----------------------------------------------

Hello,

You will have to purchase a dedicated server for a domain, as a dedicated IP cannot have number of sound under it.

Best regards, ... ., ...
    END

????????

By the way , I have intentionally left out names at this point and anything referencing who this host actually is ( for now anyways ) .

Hello, again. I have deliberately refrained from posting a reply because I was hoping that someone who actually knew something would do the honors. While we are waiting for that post, I am going to try to add what little that I think I know, in simplified terms.

In ancient times (maybe eight years ago), each website had its own "dedicated" IP address. (Note that this is *one* IP address.) If you entered "www.mydomain.com" in your browser, this was translated to the IP address for www.mydomain.com and the traffic was directed to the IP address for www.mydomain.com.

In modern times, a website does not *normally* have a "dedicated" IP address (with exceptions). Instead, each server (computer) has its own IP address. That one IP address can be used for all of the websites on the server. When the traffic reaches the server, it is directed to the directory that holds the files for www.mydomain.com and the other domains on the server.

"Nameserver" is a slightly different concept. A nameserver routes traffic to the correct server. If a nameserver exists at all, then there are at least two nameservers. Each nameserver requires its own "private" or "dedicated" IP address. The usual convention for nameservers is ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com, but there can be variations.

When those nameservers are "registered," traffic for domains that are pointed to those nameservers will be routed to the server hosting those domains. In your case, the purpose of your own "private" nameservers is to (imperfectly) mask (1) the fact that you are a reseller and (2) the company that is actually hosting your resold accounts.

At this point, I think that the simple next step to take is to prepare a support ticket with the following information:

"Hello. Sorry for the confusion. Here is what I am trying to say. I have purchased IP addresses 000.000.000.001 and 000.000.000.002. I would like those IP addresses to be registered as nameservers under mydomain.com. I would like 000.000.000.001 to be registered as ns1.mydomain.com and 000.000.000.002 to be registered as ns2.mydomain.com. I would like to use those nameservers to sign up new accounts."

There are other options, but I think that this is the most simple -- for now. I am hoping that someone who knows more than me (I'm a novice) will either confirm or (nicely) correct what I have just posted.

As a side note, support tickets are oftentimes frustrating experiences. It often seems as if the support staff is not actually reading what the requester wrote. The support staff often cannot understand what the requester means, and resolves all issues to their simplest form -- which is that the support requester is seen as an idiot. Try not to be frustrated or sarcastic in your communications, no matter how tempting it is.

I am going through the same problem with a *simple* domain transfer from registrar 1 to registrar 2. I am restraining myself from writing "will someone please actually read my trouble ticket before closing it"? Not that I wouldn't be justified. Just that it wouldn't help my situation.

Now that I have stalled for a while, here's hoping that someone who actually knows something about this issue will jump in.

Cove - Good job

MB - Maybe according to that provider you need a dedicated server. Each company has its own way of doing things.

I can tell you however what you want to do can be done w almost any reseller account.
    Reason I say 'almost' is some choose not to do things a certain way which will allow what you want.

I know for a fact it is very easy to assign you 2 IP's make them name-servers (requires you to actually register them with your domain provider). Then you set the resellers shared IP to that of NS1. This will then automatically put all of your clients only under your IP.

HTH
    Last edited by Esr Tek; 06-12-2003 at 06:50 PM.
    Regards,
    Eric

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast