Thread: Google AdWords

Google AdWords

Just started a Google AdWords campaign today. I researched it for awhile as the cost for the most popular keywords can be quite expensive. I was able to find several keywords directed at my target audience while avoiding the most popular ones....still resulting in a first page position with a modest click per day forcast. I guess I will see how it goes as this is my first attempt using google for ads.

For those who have in the past or currently use adwords, what are your thoughts and opinions on it? My expectations for results are low so I am not expecting it to drive a large amount of traffic to my site. I will play around with keyword usage and cost per click to try and find a median location that works well.

It comes and goes in spurts.

Some weeks i get 60 signups from my google campaign, some weeks i get 2.

Advertising online, especially in the hosting market is risky. Like everyone else has stated, try and attack your local market and see what happens. Easier to build up there.

Online its tougher and tougher as people are giving away the farm for very little cash.

I spend about 500 a month on adwords and generally make a return most of the time.

Sometimes i just want to stop advertising at all.

Re: Google AdWords

Originally posted by savageghost
    modest click per day
    One tip: Don't put too much faith in that. There's no way for the system to know how effective your newly-created ad really will be in getting people to click on it. So that "forecast" is really an almost-random guess.

Other basic advice: create a few different ad groups with several ads in each. Track the effectiveness of each ad, modifying or deleting those that don't work, but also watch the effectiveness of each for each keyword phrase. Avoid letting an ineffective keyword bring down the overall clickthru rate of a given ad, or the entire ad can be suspended.

Commit to checking on the campaign every day, at least once... and assume that your competitors are!
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

I will be checking the campaign often. Since I started today, it is pulling a 16% click through rate, which is highly inaccurate for a trend as the span is so small. I also set the cost per day figure at their recommended level until I can see how it is really performing. I will probably wait about a week before making any huge changes.

I agree about the headache of advertising. Just trying to decide the best median through which to advertise is nerve racking. My company does not target the "cheap plans" market so I am very careful to position the ads where I believe the ones who view it are in the hosting market, but not the $1 a month side.

Seems like you're off to a sound start, savageghost. I'd just add one more bit of general advice: don't accept as a given that a high clickthru rate is a good thing when the goal of your site is to sell a product or service. You're paying for those clicks; traffic from people who don't buy is of little value. You can only calculate your ROI by tracking which ads are bringing in buyers, just bringing visitors doesn't pay the bills.

Consider sending AdWords visitors to a separate landing page, and identifying them by setting a cookie. Then you'll be able to find out what the 16% CTR really is worth. At the least use a tracking url and log analysis to make the same kind of determination.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.