hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : activewebhosting.com

Forum Jump

activewebhosting.com

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2000, 12:00 AM

Question

Hi,

can anyone here tell me if this offer is any good for a small volume site? (root access is the main reason to get dedicated).

www.activewebhosting.com

Quote:
Active Web Hosting rents complete servers directly connected to the Internet. With one of our servers you have complete control of the server. Install and configure the software you desire.

You don't need to pay 1000s of dollars a month to have your server co-located. We will rent you the entire server for $100 per month including a shared and switched connection to our T1 line.

Our staff is also available to assist you in getting the system up and running at no additional charge. We can have you up and running on your own server in 24 hours, including your own private IP address and domain. You get a free domain and domain registration with any new account.
By email they told me that:

Quote:
The servers are Intel 500mhz processors, 128 meg ram, 10 gig hard drives
installed with the Linux Mandrake operating system and connected to our
shared T1 via a 100 mbit switch.
Please advice!

Regards,

Eilko

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2000, 12:55 AM
Kunal

Cool

Run.. run.. run.. and never stop running from them!!

This may sound a lil wacky but the reason I am telling you to do so is because on the very first page they say unlimited!! NO-ONE in this world can give you unlimited stuff.. no-one!! So RUN RUN RUN...

Old 08-14-2000, 01:07 PM
4php

I admit being an artisitically and graphically challenged person - but a host with a site that resembles a home page in quality doesn't inspire confidence.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2000, 02:53 PM
WHT Addict

Looks like this host is running off of their home cable modem on the @home network.

Here's the analysis:

activewebhosting.com = 24.234.58.166

Search on ARIN for 24.234.58.166:
Community Cable TV (NETBLK-PRIMECABLELV) PRIMECABLELV 24.234.0.0 - 24.234.191.255

Community Cable TV (NETBLK-EXPRESS-LASVEGAS) EXPRESS-LASVEGAS 24.234.1.0 - 24.234.95.255

Reverse lookup of the IP 24.234.58.166 reveals the cable modem user ID: dhcp166.58.lvcm.com

Reverse lookup of the IP 24.234.58.167 (their secondary DNS @ NetSol) reveals cable modem user ID: dhcp167.58.lvcm.com

Search in NetSol for lvcm.com results:

Registrant:
Prime Cable - Las Vegas (LVCM-DOM)
121 South Martin L. King Boulevard
Las Vegas, NV 89106
US

Domain Name: LVCM.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact, Billing Contact:
Fountain, John (JF4071) John.Fountain@COX.COM
121 S. Martin Luther King Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89106
702-384-8084 (FAX) (702) 383-7048

Record last updated on 11-Sep-1999.
Record expires on 28-Oct-2000.
Record created on 27-Oct-1997.
Database last updated on 13-Aug-2000 22:03:36 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

PRIME-BE1.LVCABLEMODEM.COM 24.234.0.5
PRIME-NEWS.LVCABLEMODEM.COM 24.234.0.7

The funny thing is, @home is using DHCP, so this person's IP could change at any time, theoretically.

Old 08-14-2000, 07:54 PM
Web Hosting Guru

The last host i saw running off his ISP cable connection was closed down real quick, and he couldn't figure out why!

Old 08-14-2000, 08:14 PM
Web Hosting Master

NameServers changed to winprog.com but still using 24.xx.xxx.xxx as IP address and yes it's under @Home Hosting maybe?

Old 08-14-2000, 10:40 PM
WHT Addict

Quote:
NameServers changed to winprog.com but still using 24.xx.xxx.xxx as IP address and yes it's under @Home Hosting maybe?
The winprog.com IP address is the same as the IP for activewebhosting.com - Also, reverse lookup of the IP address shows user ID: dhcp167.58.lvcm.com, which is on the cox@home network.

Quote:
The last host i saw running off his ISP cable connection was closed down real quick, and he couldn't figure out why!
This is because, per @home's contract, no user is allowed to run any type of server from the machine their cable modem is connected to.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong, and this guy is leasing a T1 from cox@work. Then again, I find it difficult trusting a "home" connection running out of someone's closet or basement.

I use an @home cable modem at my home, and I know that their networks go down quite often. Heck, every storm we have here, the system goes down. The @home tech even told me that they don't have a UPS or generator at their local NOC.

Old 08-15-2000, 09:20 AM

Thumbs up

Hi,

thank you all for your comments. You helped me a lot with your research.

I agree that it isn't much of a website but on the other hand a great website isn't a garantee for good services.

What bothers me most is the "home" connection... I agree that this can't be a stable situation.

So I will continue my search

Thanks very much!

Eilko

Old 08-15-2000, 10:55 AM
Web Hosting Guru

To help you on your search, you should make sure your future host has atleast 2 different major connections (backbones) to the internet.

Most hosts have 2 or 3 connections so that even if 1 was to fail, there are no problems.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted