hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Advertising Forums : Employment Offers & Requests : Employment / Job Offers : 1 Support Position open:
Closed Thread

Forum Jump

1 Support Position open:

Closed Thread Post New Thread In Employment / Job Offers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2003, 09:21 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

1 Support Position open:

myhostedweb.com has 1 support position open. The shift hours are Monday through Friday from
8pm to midnight EST.

The support position covers live chat via our chat software located on our website, Forums and E-mail.
As of now we can offered to pay $30.00 per week.

Requirments:
============
- MUST be 18 years of age
- Must have a background in support.
- Must provide other companies you have worked for as we will contact your past employers for references.
- Must have a good knowledge of cpanel6.4 and WHM.
- MUST be able to be on support at those times given
If your intrested, Please contact us for further details.
E-mail: jobs@myhostedweb.com

Thank you for your time!

Last edited by mhwadmin; 05-23-2003 at 12:09 AM.

Notice to Consumers
Thread Summary Please be aware that every offer has limits beyond what is displayed in the thread. You should visit the site advertising and read any Terms of Service or Acceptable Use Policy they have in place. If you can't find answers on how they measure what you're purchasing, ask. If the offer or request doesn't regard some type of hosting, you still need to research beyond what’s printed in the ad.
  • Research any provider to know what limits are in place, especially with any offer concerning disk space and/or bandwidth. These are generally defined in the TOS or AUP.
  • Read provider reviews. If you find no reviews, create a thread and ask for others' first-hand experience with the provider.
  • If you're unsure on the exact details of an offer - ask. Simply respond to this thread and ask the provider for clarification.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2003, 09:26 PM
I LOVE Cogent!

That's way less than minimum wage....unless you want your state's Department of Labor after you, I'd suggest you reconsider.

Old 05-22-2003, 09:53 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Yah, just a bit of FYI for you. It is against federal law to have someone work a set number of hours for you (i.e. 8pm to midnight Mon-Fri) and have their wage equage to less than minimum wage. Even if they agree to this, if you're caught for any reason you could be fined rather harshly.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2003, 10:03 PM
Temporarily Suspended

What is that like 0.25/hour?

Ouch - ill donate my cat to work those hours if you want

Old 05-22-2003, 10:08 PM
Web Hosting Master

Calculation

88 Hours per month - note: average month has 22 weekdays. $30/month. Average hourly rate = $0.34

Old 05-22-2003, 10:30 PM
WHT Addict

lol that sucks

Old 05-22-2003, 10:31 PM
Web Hosting Master

Also, mind letting me know what state your company is incorporated in? I've looked everywhere (specifically in VA which is where your whois points to) and can't seem to find any record of My Hosted Web, Inc. anywhere.

Old 05-22-2003, 10:57 PM

20, May, 2003

We have now added a secure server for your protection to our registration form. This server is encrypted with 128 Bit encryption key.

You were accpeting payments before without ssl?!?!?!?!?! I find this a bit hard to believe that this is a professional company.

Old 05-23-2003, 12:06 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

My company has not been registered in the state of Virginia as of yet. We are in the proccess of completing this. More information on the SSL, I was NOT excepting payments via our website. I was not excepting credit card information pass through my server. We except paypal payments as a payment processor until we can find an exceptable merchant to go with. Also about the payment arangments for 30 per month, That was a typo on my behalf. I was meaning to type $30 per week which adverages out to be $120 per month which is over the minimum wage. Sorry for the typo, It was not meant to happen. I am infact quite aware of the laws under workers working under minimum wage. Again I'm sorry for the typo and hopefully we can continue with this from here.
--------
My 1st post has been edited for anyone who is intrested.

Last edited by mhwadmin; 05-23-2003 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:55 AM
Web Hosting Master

Okay, then let me give you some insight:

(A) Your site is listed as My Hosted Web Inc. The "term" Inc is implied in a legal corporation and using it outside of that scope is considered Fraud.

(B) $120/month works out to $1.36 an hour (assuming Incognito's math of 88 hours per month is correct).

I realize it's not always easy to get the startup funds to get a business going but what you're asking is absolutely absurd. If you really want a respectable tech support rep you should be looking at around $10.00/hour. So unless you had typo and you actually meant $30 per day your not going to get much interest in your offer. And if you do, plan on having a pretty lousy tech.

Old 05-23-2003, 01:15 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by mhwadmin
Also about the payment arangments for 30 per month, That was a typo on my behalf. I was meaning to type $30 per week which adverages out to be $120 per month which is over the minimum wage.
This might be the so in like Mexico or Africa somewhere....

I am not sure though in the US - 1.62 an hour? That is minimum Wage maybe in Sweat Shops in Taiwan?

Another Mickey Mouse Company wanting to be a big company...Good Luck buddy...your going to need it.

Old 05-23-2003, 01:29 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

I don't think that the minimum wage applies. The person that gets hired very much fits the definition of a subcontractor.

If you don't want the job at that rate then don't take it. There are a lot of people in other countries outside the U.S. that would gladly work for that wage.

I would be happy to take this position depending on the load. Matt might only get one support ticket a day during that shift. I would answer 20 support tickets for $120.00 US quite gladly.

Lots of people start out small. It just means that they have to work harder to get somewhere. I don't think that you should be shooting them down because they haven't gotten there yet.

If you don't like someone's offer have the decency to move on.
Someone might gladly take it for reasons you don't even relate to.

-Sean

Old 05-23-2003, 01:30 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Im not one to make rude and inconsiderate comments on here like some others. I am pretty upset by the comments that have been made in this post. But im not going to post a redicuals reply. If you feel we are a Mickey Mouse company - thats your opiniun. But if you ask any of our clients, they will all tell you differenly.
Have a good day!

Old 05-23-2003, 01:46 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
I don't think that the minimum wage applies. The person that gets hired very much fits the definition of a subcontractor.
No. I'd highly recommend reading what a subcontractor is, a person that does not work on a comission or base+commission basis is not a subcontractor. Furthermore, a company can not under any circumstances "require" certain hours be worked under a subcontracting agreement.

Quote:
If you don't want the job at that rate then don't take it. There are a lot of people in other countries outside the U.S. that would gladly work for that wage.
Post and add like that your going to get a little feedback on it. That's life, the original request was unreasonable for any country, and the second post still isn't reasonable in my opinion.

Quote:
Lots of people start out small. It just means that they have to work harder to get somewhere. I don't think that you should be shooting them down because they haven't gotten there yet.
Either get financing or work your butt off. You think the local grocery store owner offers $1.50/hour because their business is too small? Nope, they work 7 days a week for months, that's how it works.

Quote:
If you don't like someone's offer have the decency to move on.
Someone might gladly take it for reasons you don't even relate to.
Usually I do, but the offer was absurd. Why didn't you just move on?

Quote:
Im not one to make rude and inconsiderate comments on here like some others. I am pretty upset by the comments that have been made in this post. But im not going to post a redicuals reply.
I hope you weren't referring to me. I was simply stating that your offer violated the law, you're asking for someone to work at 20% of minimum wage, that's just not right.

Old 05-23-2003, 02:14 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

"No. I'd highly recommend reading what a subcontractor is, a person that does not work on a comission or base+commission basis is not a subcontractor. Furthermore, a company can not under any circumstances "require" certain hours be worked under a subcontracting agreement."

Yes, I highly think that you should read what a subcontractor is.

There are several points that define what a subcontractor is and isn't.

"The more extensive such instructions, the more evidence that the worker is an employee. In contrast, the absence of detailed instructions on how the work is to be done may indicate that the worker is a subcontractor. For example, where tools, equipment, and materials are required, a subcontractor typically provides his or her own. Similarly, where additional labor is required, an subcontractor typically can hire and terminate his or her own employees or subcontractors."

as a subcontractor for this company I would:

1) provide my own tools and equipment
2) decide HOW or WHERE the work is done

"Method of Payment

Workers that are paid by the hour, day, week, or similar basis are guaranteed payment for their labor, which generally is evidence of an employee-employer relationship. In some lines of business, however, it is typical to pay subcontractors on an hourly basis.

A subcontractor typically is free to seek out business opportunities and to offer his or her services to other businesses. Often this is seen through the subcontractor advertising his or her services or maintaining a separate place of business."

I would not be compensated for my expenses. I would not be told how to perform my job. That is why they have requested someone experienced. I am free to seek out other contracts at the same time I am fulfilling this one. The only stipulation is that the work is performed to a certain quality and during a certain time frame. So, although there is the one arrow in the direction of being an employee, most if not all of the other indicators scream subcontractor. There is in fact a very good argument that this person is a subcontractor. Even taking into consideration that the times of work are specified. A subcontractor is not a binary definition. It is a gray area.

Please do not insult people in other countries with a significantly lower standard of living just because you would not work for this wage.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...=98136,00.html

Closed Thread

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Open-Xchange Summit 2013 Web Hosting Events 2013-09-19 18:04:21
Open Source Options Reduce VMware Cloud Market Share: Analyst Web Hosting News 2013-08-12 11:21:50
Rackspace Hosting to Support and Partner with Open Compute Suppliers Web Hosting News 2013-01-16 17:01:23
CloudStack 4.0 Open Source Cloud Software Released as Apache Incubator Project Web Hosting News 2012-11-08 13:54:10
Branding and Positioning in the Hosting Industry -- HostingCon 2012 Web Hosting News 2012-07-17 14:36:34