Hosting Conflict: Opinions wanted

So I am in a tough spot with my hosting company.

I am leaving my present company due to to a situation that happened last month and just uneven performance for the price I pay.

I decided to sign up with a company called Sparknode(Hivelocity) for VPS and I have an account with A Small Orange for Shared.

I know that A Small Orange(EIG) has a reputation for being an awful host for most people but so far, in the nearly 2 weeks I've been with them, I have little to complain about. Very friendly support and they feel nice

I use shared with them for a brand new site I am creating and that I don't care as much about it. However, I am nervous about trying them out for VPS due to the reputation EIG Has.

On the other hand, Sparknode(Hivelocity) has just been annoying me. Small things that on their own are no big deal but collectively speaking, they are frustrating. Here's the kicker...I haven't even migrated to them yet to be able to test the service. Support themselves leave a lot to be desired personally.

Asking simple questions gets conflicting responses.

My current question about litespeed trial and was it installed returns a No. Despite the guy telling me that he did install it.

I then asked about their prices on litespeed. I remember seeing somewhere they charge $35 for a vps license which is outrageous considering that the license with llitespeed is $14 or $20.

I get conflicting reports from that.

I opened a ticket yesterday to clarify and it has taken 12 hours to get an initial reply. And they still have yet to be able to tell me what exactly is the cost of litespeed.

There;s other things that bug me.

My dilemma is simple

A Small Orange

A. So far so Good, A Small Orange appears to be decent and while i have seen some questionable reviews on WHT and google, I have seen some glowing praise for them despite the EIG thing.

-Support presently IS slow currently. Like really slow. But they explained it was due to a high work load or something. I am not sure what is going on there.

B. Sparknode

is a subdivision of Hivelocity which appears to have great reviews.

-But the support experience is just awful. If they are fast they aren't exactly the warmest(not rude, just not overly friendly) but now they are slow and seem clueless about things WITHIN the company.

I settled on these two as I like the prices and reviews and they are within my budget. Would you stick with the host(ASO) that has a questionable rep but so far you like them OR choose the one with the better rep that you are growing annoyed with.

I have never used Hivelocity, and your experiences with them appear limited as well, so it's really tough to say whether or not you should leave. A VPS company I do highly recommend whenever possible though (if it's moving you're after) is WiredTree - they've been absolutely amazing for us so far.
    MightWeb - Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Virtual Servers & Dedicated Servers.
    KVM VPS's - RAID 10 Pure SSD - Windows & Linux - Managed services available
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS | Pure SSD | Premium Network | SpamExperts
    DDoS Protection, R1Soft Hourly Backups, LiteSpeed, 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee

If it's been two weeks and you haven't migrated yet and you're not happy with the pricing or support then find another VPS provider with what you need at the right price. As MightWeb suggested check out Wiredtree and also check out Knownhost. I believe both are $12/month extra for Litespeed.
    Last edited by boognish; 03-08-2015 at 09:41 PM.
    Review Hell - Brutally Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Helpful Web Hosting Advice
    Web Hosting Guide - Easy to Understand For Newbies

No more like moving it to A Small orange and just cancelling with SparkNode.

Quote Originally Posted by MightWeb View Post
    I have never used Hivelocity, and your experiences with them appear limited as well, so it's really tough to say whether or not you should leave. A VPS company I do highly recommend whenever possible though (if it's moving you're after) is WiredTree - they've been absolutely amazing for us so far.
    +1 They've always solved any issues promptly. I'd highly recommend them as well. Just an all-around great experience with them thus far.
    NeoSync Hosting Solutions
    Shared Hosting / Game Servers / Dedicated Servers
    U.S. Based / Dedicated Support Team / 99.9% Uptime SLA / 30-day Money Back Guarantee
    jason@neosync.net

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSync View Post
    +1 They've always solved any issues promptly. I'd highly recommend them as well. Just an all-around great experience with them thus far.
    I wish I could say the same. Sparknode IS hivelocity but from what I gather they don't even use the same support.

Out of curiosity, I logged onto hivelocity support chat instead of sparknode, thinking "Eh its the same company it'll work."

I spoke to a nice rep and he was unable to really help. When I asked if they share the same team or was sparknode another group he said they were another group and advised me to go to sparknode and choose that way.

DESPITE the fact that they claim to share the same staff and what not.

Why don't you buy the LiteSpeed licence direct with LitespeedTech?
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

Quote Originally Posted by NexDog View Post
    Why don't you buy the LiteSpeed licence direct with LitespeedTech?
    I probably will if I stay with them but then I had them install the litespeed trial at the time. I later went to ask and verify it was installed and then come to find out, I had to go into WHM and finish setting up/replacing installing it. It's like "Well gee I am paying you for support and yet I have to finish YOUR task for you.

Reviews are good to consider while choosing a provider but the most important thing is whether you are comfortable with them or not. From the opening post I assume that you are a bit doubtful about continuing with the current provider, then why don’t you try searching for someone who can treat you well or up to the level of your expectation.
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    Nginx / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

I've had a few instances working with HiVelocity and it was always good. I am not sure what type of support they use for SparkNode, but it may be different. .

Good luck with getting all of this resolved.

- Daniel

KnownHost is another managed option to consider. I haven't used them in a while, but they were always great with support. They were especially good at explaining how issues were fixed and explaining preventative steps, etc.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts

Quote Originally Posted by TmzHosting View Post
    I've had a few instances working with HiVelocity and it was always good. I am not sure what type of support they use for SparkNode, but it may be different. .

Good luck with getting all of this resolved.

- Daniel
    Hivelocity and SparkNode are supported by the same tech team. We have a specific team that supports the SparkNode infrastructure but client trouble tickets are handled by the same Sys Engineers.
    Steve Eschweiler - Hivelocity.net - Since 2002
    The Bare Metal Cloud Co.
    Instantly Deploy Dedicated Servers in 30 Data Centers on 4 Continents
    24/7/365 World Class Phone, Chat and Ticket Technical Support

Quote Originally Posted by Hsin View Post
    I wish I could say the same. Sparknode IS hivelocity but from what I gather they don't even use the same support.

Out of curiosity, I logged onto hivelocity support chat instead of sparknode, thinking "Eh its the same company it'll work."

I spoke to a nice rep and he was unable to really help. When I asked if they share the same team or was sparknode another group he said they were another group and advised me to go to sparknode and choose that way.

DESPITE the fact that they claim to share the same staff and what not.
    SparkNode does NOT provide live chat support. When you opened a live chat you should have seen only 2 options, Sales or Billing. SparkNode support is handled over the phone or via trouble ticket....by the same Hivelocity technicians that handle Hivelocity tickets and phone calls. These are all our techs, sitting on-premise, in our data center, in our NOC.

As previously mentioned, we have a separate team of engineers that support the SparkNode infrastructure. However, day to day tickets by customers are handled by the same tech team. So unless you were having a problem with the infrastructure, meaning the network was down or the entire service was down, you are working with the same team. In the event you had a big issue that was related to the SparkNode infrastructure you would deal with a different group of engineers who is about 100 feet from the NOC in their own little area.
    Steve Eschweiler - Hivelocity.net - Since 2002
    The Bare Metal Cloud Co.
    Instantly Deploy Dedicated Servers in 30 Data Centers on 4 Continents
    24/7/365 World Class Phone, Chat and Ticket Technical Support

Quote Originally Posted by hivelocitygm View Post
    Hivelocity and SparkNode are supported by the same tech team. We have a specific team that supports the SparkNode infrastructure but client trouble tickets are handled by the same Sys Engineers.
    Well that confirms it. @OP So with that said, you should be receiving the same great support.

- Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by hivelocitygm View Post
    SparkNode does NOT provide live chat support. When you opened a live chat you should have seen only 2 options, Sales or Billing. SparkNode support is handled over the phone or via trouble ticket....by the same Hivelocity technicians that handle Hivelocity tickets and phone calls. These are all our techs, sitting on-premise, in our data center, in our NOC.

As previously mentioned, we have a separate team of engineers that support the SparkNode infrastructure. However, day to day tickets by customers are handled by the same tech team. So unless you were having a problem with the infrastructure, meaning the network was down or the entire service was down, you are working with the same team. In the event you had a big issue that was related to the SparkNode infrastructure you would deal with a different group of engineers who is about 100 feet from the NOC in their own little area.
    Steve that is good to hear however, that does not explain why I have not had any exact confirmation from you all in nearly 2 days on a simple sales question.

I haven't even moved to you guys yet, unfortunately, and the fact it takes 2 days nearly to get a simple confirmation is a tad disturbing honestly. I don't mean to be difficult by any means and I am trying to make it work but the back & forth and then the lack of prompt follow up is alarming.