Thread: tell me a story

tell me a story

Alright-people.
    I want stories

How much time did it take, from the time you decided

"hey, I want to be a web host"

to the time you were setup and ready to go.

And then how long did it take to get your first customer.

Anyone got any stories to tell!

Hey,

I think the time between when we decided and when we had finished all our planning and sorting out all the details and actually started was about 12 months. First customer was immediate.

Dave

Dave

Yeah it took us around 10-11 months by the time we got the planning, legals, banking, investors etc.

We had about 10 customers lined up due to the fact that we were doing more web design back then also.. Now days we have other company for that

Regards
    Phillip
    www.SURRENDERONLINE.com.au
    Perfect Solutions Every Time! Sydney Based :: Dedicated Servers :: Colocation :: Superior Support::Reseller Solutions

11 months, well almost 12

Although when we 1st started to become a reseller that decision only took 4 months.
    HostHeadQuarters.com
    Reliable Hosting
    Great Support

I imagine that my case is atypical. I had my first paying customer before I started hosting. Consequently, I'm turning a profit, and I don't even have my own web page up yet.

Artie

I was like artied2, i acctually had people wanting websites and hosting, before i acctually had hosting to sell or even my own website.

I wouldnt recomend this approach however. My customers were patient in knowing that bugs needed to be worked out. I was able to do this only becuase i had a good relationship with them becuase i do their tech work.

about a week or 9 days.

When I want something I'll dedicate everything I have to get it.
    IGS Host
    www.igshost.com
    e-mail: sales@igshost.com
    aim: IGSHsupport

I had a reseller account hosting a few of my personal domains and some of friends and family for almost a year before I decided I wanted to do it full time. I then researched about 6 months before going forward with it as a business.
    Rob
    Founder and former owner of SRLnet. Sold in 2006

Well i guess after the research is done and the and the interest is there host put a good couple of months into it before they start.

You also have to see that webhosting is a massive industrial where new people can start and get ahead quick. Hosting and things related to the internet aren't fully monoplolised by big companies so that sometimes gives an extra push to lauch a webhost.