Anti Virus Recommendations...

Hello,

My web host is saying that the possibilities of implementing a virus scanner on the virtual server systems are quite limited because of the virtualization technology they use.

They say these programs do run on the virtual servers.
    ClamWin
    CureIT (Dr.Web)
    Windows Defender (only Windows Server 2003)
    Signatures for Windows Defender
    ESET Online

I'm looking for something that is fast, lightweight and doesn't eat much resources. We're running Windows Virtual Server Unlimited 7.0.

TIA,
    Steven

ClamWin is very light on resources; its biggest drawback is that it doesn't have a resident executable scanner, that is, if you run a program, it doesn't live-scan the program before it runs, so any nastiness in it won't get caught until the next scheduled scan runs. It is tiny and works though.
    Luke Moore
    Operations Center Manager

I'm never had much success with ClamAV/ClamWin. I've also used hosts that used Kaspersky and Sophos so they are out there.

Install MalDet and configure it to get alerts to your email. Must be a worth to fight against vulnerable file uploads.
    TheSHosting.com - Secure Wordpress/Joomla/Drupal/Magento Hosting - Experience Reliable Hosting Today!
    Provider of fully managed Shared, Reseller, VPS and Dedicated hosting solutions.
    PHP 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 and 5.6 Support Per Directory

Quote Originally Posted by linuxadminx View Post
    Install MalDet and configure it to get alerts to your email. Must be a worth to fight against vulnerable file uploads.
    I have used maldet too on all of my VPSes it has been very effective finding malware on websites I hosts. If Clamav is installed on the VPS, maldet will use it to scan for viruses. I have schedule a cron job to have maldet scan the /home dir daily on my VPS.

You can use windows security essential, or only windows defender. This programs does not use much resources.

Quote Originally Posted by jojompv View Post
    On the server you are at Clamav can help and mostly anything else but you didnt specify what you use the server for
    Thanks to everyone who has replied. I'm looking for a anti virus/malware tool b/c I need to check various audio files before they end up on our site for sale.

BTW, I'm being told from my host that maldet won't work b/c it's Linux.

Hope this helps,
    Steven