Is it considered reselling ?

Hi,

I plan to craete a web site for a given community and I would like to offer each customer a small web space and 1 email address. Is it considered reselling ? If not, do I need to simply buy a hosting plan and find a software to handle customers subdirectories and ftp access ?

Thanks for your help

With most reseller plans you don't have to literally sell your hosting into smaller accounts.

You can do things in the way it works out best for you. If you want to admin it all from your cPanel, a normal hosting plan will probably be fine. If you want the extra layer of control then a reseller/multi domain package may be better (most allow you to setup seperate accounts using a subdomain of your main domain).
    Chief brew-maker at several hosting brands since 2002.

FLXI | UK based, cPanel/WHM reseller hosting
    Pay-as-you-go billing, why pay for what you don't use?

ensim and plesk will allow you to create email address and ftp accounts for your users, its up to your webhost if they allow you to resell a package. it depends on how big you want each package to be. if you want each user to have a large amount of space and bandwidth then you may need a reseller package otherwise you could be happy with a simple hosting account.

try asking around and see what kind of replies you get.
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

Providing space for others (free or paid) is usually considered reselling. The best thing to do is check with your web host (read their Terms of Service) to see if they allow you to host others.

If this isn't allowed, you may want to purchase an account that allows you to host other sites (such as a reseller account) and use a control panel that allows you to create FTP accounts that "root" in the directory you choose.

Mark
    DirectAdmin Web Control Panel
    http://www.directadmin.com
    sales@directadmin.com

Re: Is it considered reselling ?

Originally posted by aircom
    Hi,

... a web site for a given community ... each customer a small web space and 1 email address. ... subdirectories and ftp access ?

Thanks for your help
    Sounds like a community / group site more than a reselling site. If you are limiting each to an ftp subdirectory and not an actual fully controllable site. Upgrade as you need extra space or capabilities.

As stated above, though, check terms of your service to prevent issues.