* Questions for resellers

I have no experience with reselling, and am interested in understanding how it works. I'm presuming a model in which resellers get a steep discount off the plans the parent host ordinarily sells, as opposed to the model in which the reseller just gets a big hunk of disk and bandwidth.

Specifically:

* Does the parent host generally provide tools for tracking resellers' customers' information and billing history, even credit cards? How does the billing process usually work?

* Does the parent host generally allow the reseller to offer real-time signup? Or do resellers have to manually review and enter each order of theirs?

* Does the parent host generally require the reseller to have one or more SSL certificate?

* Does the parent host generally provide a brandable control panel for the reseller's customers to use?

* Does the reseller have full administrative control over his customers' accounts, including the ability to disable and delete them, as well as change users' passwords?

* What other essential features constitute a decent reseller program?

Thanks for any replies!
    John Masterson
    Former Hosting Company Owner

* the majority of resellers have to make provisions for tracking and charing their own customers, this is for the type of reseller hosting that involves buying a set package and reselling it how you see fit, the kind that involves selling a product in bulk for a discount.

* again depending on the product offered resellers must create their own signup, if the reseller's financial transactions all take place on a third partys website ie worldpay, 2 checkout then no SSL certificate is required.

*most control panels are themeable and logos can be customised.

*depends on the control panel.

*depending on the original package offered there are many features that can be included in a reseller account. you'd really have to look around to decide what suits you.
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

Thanks for the reply.

To clarify, we are developing a reseller system based on our internally developed control panel, and while it won't be ready for months or maybe even next year, we want to make sure we are developing something that will be appealing to resellers and competitive in the market.

With that in mind, I guess I would ask as a followup - what minimum features are necessary to be acceptable to resellers, and which are only present in the more desirable reseller plans, and which are 'pie in the sky, that would rock!' features?

Thanks!
    John Masterson

Greetings:

"* Does the parent host generally provide tools for tracking resellers' customers' information and billing history, even credit cards? How does the billing process usually work?"

It varies from reseller program to reseller program.

Providers with reseller programs based on H-Sphere's(http://www.psoft.net/) complete hosting automation system have reporting, ability to accept credit cards, automated provisioning and more.

"* Does the parent host generally allow the reseller to offer real-time signup? Or do resellers have to manually review and enter each order of theirs?"

It varies from reseller to reseller.

Those reseller programs using H-Sphere allow the reseller the freedom to create trial hosting plans as well as real-time sign up and provisioning.

"* Does the parent host generally require the reseller to have one or more SSL certificate?"

Sometimes. H-Sphere does allow the reseller to share the provider's wildcard digital ID if they have one, and enable that feature.

"* Does the parent host generally provide a brandable control panel for the reseller's customers to use?"

Sometimes. H-Sphere is completely brandable.

H-Sphere allows for private label reselling.

"* Does the reseller have full administrative control over his customers' accounts, including the ability to disable and delete them, as well as change users' passwords?"

It varies from program to program.

H-Sphere reselelrs do have this ability.

"* What other essential features constitute a decent reseller program?"

An easy way to provide support (H-Sphere has a built in ticket center).

Take care.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

To answer the question in your second post:

Just go through the demos for Cpanel, Ensim, Hsphere, and Plesk and take notes. Visit their support forums and find out what kind of issues come up.

To offer an opinion:

It's a big task. Many people have considered taking your route. Ultimately most decide to pick their favorite existing panel and start selling. You could build quite a client base in the time it will take you to write your control panel.

Thanks Joe.

Our control panel is already built and supporting thousands of customers today. Now it's just a matter of adding the appropriate reseller-friendly features.
    John Masterson

Many hosting companies offer complete plans that will give you everything you need in one nice neat package. Search around WHT and you will find many..

magnafix

I am doing an about face on this. I bet you can do it profitably. Your thread starter began with how you have no experience with reselling and I made some incorrect assumptions.

After your last post cleared this up, I went to your site. Clearly professional.

As far as a reseller friendly wish list:

- full account control (within practicle limits)
    - nice presentation
    - tight security
    - integrated ticket system
    - integrated billing

To my knowledge, Hsphere is the only truly integrated system out there that is widely used.

Good Luck.