Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magento Hosting

Magento is high resources as compared to other carts. You would suggest you to go for VPS in starting. You can upgrade to dedicated server as you gain more traffic. This would help you in keeping your monthly cost low.

Quote Originally Posted by nekrogoblikon View Post
    But it's an obtainable TTFB on the right server configurations without frontside caching.
    Show me.

Some more words.

Oh I really to sit back and read through this one.

My first thought coming in here was to see what people would say about Magento hosting....only to see that it's broken out into the same arguments as WordPress hosting. It's funny and sad.

My only 2 cents before I say anything else.....does it not factor on the end-user's traffic?

If one starts a WordPress or Magento site with 5 people visiting a day...can they not stick with a quality shared host?

If the site, any site, has a ton of traffic, then of course the needs change.

Quote Originally Posted by abushahin View Post
    Are there any things to look out for when hosting a magento ecommerce site?

Magento is quite heavy weight compared to other carts.

So will I need a dedicated magento host?
    Will shared be enough? Currently the traffic isnt so much, around 3000 visits and around 170 products but that's likely to go up.

At the moment its hosted at hetnzer for around £50pm. Any savings would be nice and some clarifications into what to look for when hosting a magento site.
    Check your pm. I can help. It's easy. I have just finished a complete enterprise magneto install and loaded 200 products and works perfect.
    Last edited by skybridgedomains; 01-26-2015 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    My only 2 cents before I say anything else.....does it not factor on the end-user's traffic? If one starts a WordPress or Magento site with 5 people visiting a day...can they not stick with a quality shared host?
    Magento has a heavy base load. So no.

...does it not factor on the end-user's traffic? If one starts a WordPress or Magento site with 5 people visiting a day...can they not stick with a quality shared host?
    it 'absolutely' factors on the end-user's traffic, you are correct.

You may have trouble if you are trying to use a budget shared hosting that lacks the minimum requirements, however a shared hosting provider that meets the minimum requirements would be able to host your Magento site without even batting an eye at its resource usage. Your speed would vary accordingly on the speed of the shared hosting server and it's resource limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    .....My only 2 cents before I say anything else.....does it not factor on the end-user's traffic?

If one starts a WordPress or Magento site with 5 people visiting a day...can they not stick with a quality shared host?.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucial Web Host View Post
    it 'absolutely' factors on the end-user's traffic, you are correct.

You may have trouble if you are trying to use a budget shared hosting that lacks the minimum requirements, however a shared hosting provider that meets the minimum requirements would be able to host your Magento site without even batting an eye at its resource usage. Your speed would vary accordingly on the speed of the shared hosting server and it's resource limitations.
    That means the site would load snail-slow or worse, as Magento is the hog of all hogs.

Quote Originally Posted by asgard View Post
    That means the site would load snail-slow or worse, as Magento is the hog of all hogs.
    This suggests that if you install some files and a database and have no visitors accessing the website (files and database) that somehow just the existence of having these files and database on the server would somehow consume resources to make the site slow, even with no visitors.

That's incorrect.

Now, on a low end server with slow CPU/RAM and low restrictions set in CloudLinux the site would load slowly even with just one visitor, so in that regard you are correct.

Shared hosting is not the right place to run Magento that is heavily visited, especially a poorly designed Magento installation (theme/extension) design. In that regard you are correct.

All shared hosting products are not equal, nor should they be treated the same or painted with the same broad generalizations.

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial Web Host View Post
    This suggests that if you install some files and a database and have no visitors accessing the website (files and database) that somehow just the existence of having these files and database on the server would somehow consume resources to make the site slow, even with no visitors.

That's incorrect.

Now, on a low end server with slow CPU/RAM and low restrictions set in CloudLinux the site would load slowly even with just one visitor, so in that regard you are correct.

Shared hosting is not the right place to run Magento that is heavily visited, especially a poorly designed Magento installation (theme/extension) design. In that regard you are correct.

All shared hosting products are not equal, nor should they be treated the same or painted with the same broad generalizations.
    That wasn't what I meant to imply, I know there are different types of shared hosting; I was trying to say....well, you said exactly all that I was trying to.

I'd recommend you to go with a dedicated server and install magento there. If you are running tons of products and have fair amount of traffic come in daily, then spend reasonable money to get a dedi.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12