Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    maybe a poll is needed ? That way the wht community as a whole can help you decided

A poll would definitely be a good idea.. it's a community after all.
    Have you Floble'd today?

though a little less of a community each time someone associated with the running/owning of this forum has another bright idea.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Originally posted by akashik
    though a little less of a community each time someone associated with the running/owning of this forum has another bright idea.
    Yep. Come on guys, let's have a poll!!
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

OMFG! NOOOOOOOOOO! I LOST 1 POST! THE END OF THE WORLD IS NEAR!

</sarcasm>

Ummm... I just went from 769 down to 33.

It's not that I mind so much... but it'd be nice if we could stop tinkering with them every time the moon changes.
    -Bruce

Originally posted by Phrozen

It's not that I mind so much... but it'd be nice if we could stop tinkering with them every time the moon changes.
    WOW! That's close to a 96% change (if my maths serves me correct).

Common let's get the poll going
    Have you Floble'd today?

Originally posted by Phrozen

Ouch!

Originally posted by sanjiv
    What exactly was wrong with it?
    Remember those threads that would time out when you tried posting? Adn the ones that the mods had to "split into two" so we can get rid of the "BAD" posts? And some threads that just didn't work right....The information for those threads (ie, #of replies) was off/incorrect, so the counters had to be updated - we didn't know that post counts were actually going to be reduced. The last time the post count issue was updated - some of the posts that were made in the lounge weren't "removed from your post count" so your number has been inaccurate since then.

There is no intention to reduce your post counts further, it was an after effect from updating the counters to fix the problem i described above - ALSO, if you've posted in any threads that have been thrown, or moved to forums where the posts dont count - those are removed from your post count also.

It sounds more like a very significant part of the archives isn't counting anymore.

Did WHT develop of team of mods just for splitting threads for archives???

Originally posted by akash
    . . . ALSO, if you've posted in any threads that have been thrown, or moved to forums where the posts dont count - those are removed from your post count also. [/B]
    So what forums count for post counts now?

Originally posted by akash
    Remember those threads that would time out when you tried posting? Adn the ones that the mods had to "split into two" so we can get rid of the "BAD" posts? And some threads that just didn't work right....The information for those threads (ie, #of replies) was off/incorrect, so the counters had to be updated - we didn't know that post counts were actually going to be reduced. The last time the post count issue was updated - some of the posts that were made in the lounge weren't "removed from your post count" so your number has been inaccurate since then.

There is no intention to reduce your post counts further, it was an after effect from updating the counters to fix the problem i described above - ALSO, if you've posted in any threads that have been thrown, or moved to forums where the posts dont count - those are removed from your post count also.
    Akash, I know damn well where I post. Since the first time that the flushing of posts was introduced, the Lounge and Related Offers became a no-count zone. I don't post anywhere else except for the Domain Names forum and that forum still counts posts. Therefore whatever happened was a big fat glitch.

By the way, merging threads and flushing posts has nothing to do with the postcounts. You guys CHOSE to reset the counters accordingly, you didn't HAVE to. The counter is stored separately, it doesn't run through your threads to count the beans each time. Bad business choice, as far as I am concerned.

Wow, this is getting to be more than slightly annoying. Before the cut a few months ago, I was well over 3000. That was cut in half. As of yesterday I was over 2000. And now I'm at 970? I have a pretty good idea how much I post, and where I post. Hard to belive 1100 of my posts were removed because of thrown/split/merged threads.

If I do the math, I figure by Christmas I should be at a cool -5000 or so...

I think there is far far far faaaaar too much tinkering with post count. Solves nothing other than really ticking people off.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Everyone just needs to calm down. Wait for WebDev. There is something askew.
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 05-18-2003 at 12:45 PM.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Well, I certainly won't lose sleep over it. I (and others) just wish it wouldn't become an "issue" every few months.

Oh well, off to grab some lunch.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

I agree with Vito, it's getting pretty annoying and just making a big thread pointless. When I recalculated, I found I lost around 20 posts which brought me from 50 down to 30. The only reason I fuss about this is because some people look at post count to look at how long a hosting company has been around. I know this can be wrong since a lot of hosting companies just post in the requests forums, and not the communities, but it loses a bit of reputation somewhat.

hmm . . . looks like WebDev showed up.

They're back.

Not that anyone cares about post counts.

LOL that's nice. I feel like I'm in the Matrix

I think they gave you too much.

The arguments here were ridiculous IMHO. The update counters does an update based on where the count=1, there's not much room for error there, there was nothing wrong with the post counts. I even hand checked at the database command line a bunch of them to make sure it wasnt a bug.

Your post counts have been returned based on popular demand and a vote by moderators. I do not see what is so special about a number, you cant tell anything by how much someone posts, if you want to know someone's quality, use search.

What the hell?

I went from 769 to 33 and now up to 1048?

Not that I'm complaining or anything...
    -Bruce

Originally posted by WebDev
    The arguments here were ridiculous IMHO. . .
    Ridiculous, yes, but that's human nature for you.

Can I have Chicken's postcount too? j/k Thanks for the fix.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast