Maybe this should be a rule ?

I dont know about you all but its getting pretty reading some of these posts nowdays were there are hosts putting down other hosts because they offer something differnt or "cheap" prices ,for example the few posts down "Terabite" i mean come on some of you call yourselfs "Hosting Companys" but you go around bashing other members about the services they offer,its like some members here think they know it all about the hosting bussiness and if its not what they think it should be they bash others,and have the nerve to still advertise there company in there signature while doing it.

Maybe there should be a rule for this cause its getting old.
      0 Not allowed!

I think there is.

We take the "be polite" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.
    Lesli Schauf, TLM Network
    Linux and Windows Hosting: Scribehost
      0 Not allowed!

Most people are pretty well behaved. I think its perfectly appropriate (in the discussion, not the advertising forums) to discuss a host's legitamcy. If an offer sounds too good to be true, why can't people post their speculation about it? Granted they should do it in a polite fashion, such as "If bandwidth is around x amount, and you're offering for x amount, how can that business model work properly?" or "You say you're hosted in your own DC, but your ip address resovles to Rackshack?". Things like this I feel are completely in the best interest of everyone, and not at all "bashing." A lot of people who aren't that techincally savvy could just look at a webhost who claims to run their own Tier1 network etc etc and not know that they just have a reseller account on an overloaded server. Besides, if they are completely legit, why would people be raising questions anyways? Honesty is always the best policy when it comes to running a business. If you're honest, then you have nothing to hide!
    I wish all my traffic went through AS174.
      0 Not allowed!

If you see such posts, please report them and they will be looked into. And what Lesli said ^^
      0 Not allowed!

You make some good points, SolidJoe. I agree it's generally a good thing when most of these issues get aired. To use your example, I certainly want to know if "a host says they're hosted in their own DC, but their ip address resovle to Rackshack." And sometimes it offers a host an opportunity to explain a perfectly legitimate situation. But it has gotten out of hand on occasion. I've noticed threads or posts based purely on speculation. If someone is going to make serious and potentially damaging claims against a host, it's in everybody's best interest if those claims are looked into before being made public. Also, there have been at least a couple of occasions where, in my opinion, some of the issues here would have been better handled privately.

Just my opinion.
      0 Not allowed!

You assume that terabite was located in a DataCenter is your own issue. Noone from terabite said they were located at a Data Center. As far as legitimacy, give me a break. Check back with the site in a year, we will still be around. But as for this forum, I am done. I am sick of the childish behavior and bashing that occurs. Noone ever said competition was easy.
      0 Not allowed!

Last words to anyone out there bashing any host,...Golden Rule of HR: To say it is malice, to write it is liable. And I see alot of links back to homesites here.
      0 Not allowed!

Here is a perfect example of people jumping to the gun. I wrote my post in general manner, not pointing fingers or giving names - yet someone comes in guns blazing claiming it wasn't them. Does anybody get from my first post that I could even possibly be refering to solomonhk's company?! I don't see how the two can even possibly be related.
      0 Not allowed!

I hope the forum does not block these types of posts. Its a powerfully useful tool. I come in here and see two hosts going at it like red-headed-step-children, and I have a little better insight into what to expect from their service and support.

Let the flames burn!

Artie
    Last edited by artied2; 05-18-2003 at 05:34 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by SolidJoe
    . . . . . Does anybody get from my first post that I could even possibly be refering to solomonhk's company?! . . . .
    Just him.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

numba1stunna... Hmm.. I know that name from somewhere..

Ah yes, the thread bashing NRHosting.com, everyone thought it was your company. I guess you're uneasy after that?

I think something should be done about the extent that people bash hosts though yes. People should be able to post about their bad experiences because it is helpful to others, but sometimes it can get quite personal.
      0 Not allowed!

SolidJoe-

You made explicit reference to Terabite. It reference conversations held earlier, so quit trying to come out like roses. You are only trying to back track cause of what I said about liability.

If you want to see how legit terabite is, wait till Monday morning.
      0 Not allowed!

solomonhk is pulling the big guns out.

(Please note that was meant in a good way. Don't sue me.)
      0 Not allowed!

Im not threatening legal action. I just want people to think before they go bashing one anothers companies. I realized that my first post on this forum sounded harsh towards other hosts, but I went back and modified my statement.

What people need to understand is that their assumptions abuot another company can due harm to that company's business if made in a public forum such as this. That is grounds for legal action.

Yes, I had planned on calling IONSYSTEMS.NET (SolidJoe) in order to vocal come to some sort of understanding on how serious some of the aftereffects of one's words can be.

I don't mean any ill will towards any other host. But I will not tolerate other hosts claiming that Terabite is not legit, or that we claim things that are not true.

I admit, I do not have all the information that concerns all the specs on our servers. But I do know enough to support what I was brought to the table for. As with any company, sometimes even the employees are mislead. I cannot help that.

Honestly, I don't know why I bother replying,...yet again,...only to potential be bashed for something I have said.
      0 Not allowed!

We're sorry solomonhk...

Have a banana;
      0 Not allowed!

Lol, HostGuard. Strangely, because of your response, I am actually beginning to take to you. -=0)
      0 Not allowed!

People don't know how to make a proper complaint: hosts about clients, or clients about hosts. Nine out of ten of the complaint / warning threads on this (and probably other) forums would never devolve into the flamewars that they do if people knew how to present a sound argument.

If people have a complaint about a host's business practices, they should state why they're unhappy. Post the text on the host's site - the publicly visible policies with which they disagree. As stated by others higher up in this thread's structure, conjecture doesn't do anyone any good. Not only is it libel, continuously false information cheapens the overall value of this forum. People will stop coming here unless they're here to flame or defend against flames...and if hosts don't want to accord the perceived active audience at WHT any credibility, hosts won't come here to refute the individual flames but may complain to the management of the forum for allowing such an environment to develop.

The instant a thread starts to cross over into personal insults, no matter which way the insults go or "who started it", the thread has outlived its usefulness. It should probably be locked as soon as possible. This lets the complaint stay public, lets people see the behaviour of the original poster and the respondant, yet doesn't allow the thread to continue into a massive flamewar. If anyone opens a new thread to continue that discussion, they should be censured.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by solomonhk
    Golden Rule of HR: To say it is malice, to write it is liable.
    In the United States:

speak = slander
    write = libel

And keep in mind you are only guily of each if what you say can be be shown to be false. In general opinions, which is primarily what this board consists of, cannot be considered slander or libel.

Also keep in mind I am not a lawyer, I am basing what I state above on my understanding of the law. If you want solid legal advice I would recommend running each post in front of a lawyer prior to making the post.
      0 Not allowed!

The main point:

This shouldn't even be a discussion. Anyone that runs a whois on terabite hosting can see that it is a brand new hosting company. Does this mean that everyone can question the legitimacy of their business, or questionthe integrity becuase of the choice of business model they choose to follow.

I realize that the practices being done by terabite are not agreed upon by the hosting community in reference to price. And this is an issue that I somewhat agree with you all on. I am trying to talk the "powers that be" into a more suitable priving situation. My number one concern is for the users of our service. And thread by flaming thread you all have given me great points to bring up to ownership.

All I ask is that you give small starters a chance before flaming them downt he tube and potentially harming their business.
      0 Not allowed!

SolidJoe-

You made explicit reference to Terabite. It reference conversations held earlier, so quit trying to come out like roses. You are only trying to back track cause of what I said about liability.

If you want to see how legit terabite is, wait till Monday morning.
    I think you're giving yourself far too much credit. There is not a single reference to your company in my post. You've been here for what, a few months? Do you know how many references to Rackshack I've made in the time I have been here? Or how many times I've made a reference to a host in the RS DC? How could you possibly even begin to imagine that I was refering to you? Please do not call me and waste my time, I will just call SBC and tell them to block your number from mine. If you want references from previous conversations, I have yours logged saying you are consulting your lawyer to bring up slander charges. Why would you even want to think about this? I didn't threaten to sue you for defamation of character by incorrectly calling me a "14 year old kid" and saying I have no certifications. Do I have to fax you my diploma from college or my transcripts?! Please, for everyone's sake, get a life.
      0 Not allowed!

The main point:

This shouldn't even be a discussion. Anyone that runs a whois on terabite hosting can see that it is a brand new hosting company. Does this mean that everyone can question the legitimacy of their business, or questionthe integrity becuase of the choice of business model they choose to follow.

I realize that the practices being done by terabite are not agreed upon by the hosting community in reference to price. And this is an issue that I somewhat agree with you all on. I am trying to talk the "powers that be" into a more suitable priving situation. My number one concern is for the users of our service. And thread by flaming thread you all have given me great points to bring up to ownership.

All I ask is that you give small starters a chance before flaming them downt he tube and potentially harming their business.

And I say again.
      0 Not allowed!

Never mind.
      0 Not allowed!

I have no idea. Solomon seems to think my original post in this thread is a reference to his company. *edit* Living removed his post, it originally said something along the lines of: What is going on here.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by living_media
    . . . . . .The instant a thread starts to cross over into personal insults, no matter which way the insults go or "who started it", the thread has outlived its usefulness. It should probably be locked as soon as possible. . . . .
    Although it may not be at that point now; it is getting ever too close. So, I agree. Let's close this now before it gets worse.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!