Google: one step closer to web hosting

Apparently Google is getting closer to do web hosting:

http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/13/goo...ings/?ncid=rss

The article is from yesterday. They are going to open Google Domains to the public. Anyone would be able to register a domain name with them and build a website.

Do you think it's a game changer or just another crazy idea from Google.

The immediate threat I see is for businesses selling domain names. Google has the volume and the credibility to deploy very aggressive go to market strategies. Add to this, their services will be always on the top of the searches! I don't know it is fair or even legal is some places that a search engines lists its own services in front of the competition.
    Enterprise Consultant
    CCNP Enterprise - CCNP Security
    .:. Travels From West to East .:.

If that were to happen, I doubt it would be permitted in that fashion at least in the European Union.

If you'll remember the EU vs Google case in the recent future....While the U.S has become lax about this stuff recently (free industry), remember Microsoft on trial in the 90s? Lastly, Google has offered free domains and hosting before if you'll remember....Through their "business" section (to private businesses in some states. But I don't think it ever really took off?
    Certified Software QA Engineer
    █ Software Quality Assurance ● QAEngineer.net
    7+ Years Experience Testing Software, Apps, and Websites/UIs.

Google has sh***y customer service. I'd be more worried about Amazon who has a head start of what, 6 years and 70% market share?
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    Google has sh***y customer service. I'd be more worried about Amazon who has a head start of what, 6 years and 70% market share?
    Agreed. Nearly all their products have lousy or non-existent support, which just doesn't work in the web hosting business.

The one thing I would be worried about, is the fact that they are also offering dynamic DNS service now along side domain registration, so I can see a lot of folks trying to "self host" their domains rather than going with a traditional host.

The last thing we need are more compromised/exploited web servers on the 'Net.
    SimpleSonic - We Make Fast... Easy!
    US/UK/MY - 100% Uptime - Shared - Reseller - cPanel - DirectAdmin - WHMCS Included!
    Blazing Fast NVMe SSD - CloudLinux - Imunify360 - LiteSpeed - MailChannels - JetBackup

web hosting won't bring Google lots of revenue, but paid searching will.
    I don't think from business point of view, it isn't wise to risk most of their income by giving hosted domain a priority.

I looked at Google Domains pricing and supported TLDs today.
    Price is average, but they have features included at no additional cost like whois privacy, domain forwarding and subdomain forwarding, email forwarding (forwarding of email aliases @<your domain>), Google nameservers with 10 million DNS resolutions per year etc.
    I don't think it's a game changer! They have the the name and credibility, but legal issues in the EU and maybe even in the States will slow them down.
    Selling domain names is not as profitable as it once was. Microsoft also tried to enter and expand aggressively into this market years ago, but it didn't work out!
    But it is definitely a step closer to web hosting! It's just a question of time (and legal issues) until Google will entirely enter the web hosting market. They are already there with their cloud computing and email services.

I think google is just testing the waters on another thing here. You try 100 things, 5 of them work out decently, 1 is a big winner, 94 fail badly, and you make tons of money, half of it from the 1 big winner, and half from the other 5 that worked pretty well. My personal opinion is this is most likely one of the 94 that fail or tread water, if they're lucky one of the 5 that does decently. Definitely not the 1 out of 100 that changes a whole market and makes them tons of money.

In other words, nothing to get too worried about any moreso than any reasonably funded but clueless competitor who enters the market.

Microsoft, of all people. is more of a threat to established businesses. Not because people will give up their $7 / mo cpanel accounts to get onto Azure, but because people will dump their exchange servers to get onto Azure and MS 365. The amount of money people make managing and maintaining and hosting exchange servers is massive. Those companies are going to lose out big time with the migration to cloud. But I don't think the "typical" competitor to google is going to have much problem with this move by them.

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    Yeah, I agree with this. Also, Google tends to abandon project if they cant obtain market leader status quickly. Amazon has so much money and is a loss leader in cloud. It will be hard to compete.

Somehow I think the opposite.

To the common person, they only know three things about online "stuff"; godaddy, google, and facebook. I've seen people that will search for their use google to find their website instead of going to their own www dot. Quite odd, but that's how people think.

If godaddy can convince everyone that they're a web hosting company....imagine if google put out ads on, hmmm, their own network. Which goes to this point.....

Quote Originally Posted by FIAHOST View Post
    I don't know it is fair or even legal is some places that a search engines lists its own services in front of the competition.
    .....I don't see why they couldn't. Cable networks do the same thing when they supply internet. I see, or used to see before ad-blocks, ads from my ISP/Cable provider. Once I'm on a different network or using vpn, the ads are gone.

This was the same argument in another thread about Amazon hiding their own products in their searches. It's their site, they put their own products in any search they want. I used the analogy of grocery stores. You look down any aisle and there's the national brands and the store's brand on the same shelf. Why should the store pay for shelf space when they have their own shelves to sell their own products.

It might not be immediate, but I think the only company to be nervous of this is EIG. Everyone else, it will just be another large host and business as usual.

G will get good data abut their domain customers.

name, address, phone, email, credit card data, interests
    Sneaky Little Hobbitses

Quote Originally Posted by CD Burnt View Post
    G will get good data abut their domain customers.

name, address, phone, email, credit card data, interests

Hopefully they use an external source like paypal or another processor to take payments. Google having credit info is just too much info along with everything else they have on people. Do they still have wallet? Never used it or ran into anyone using it?

Quote Originally Posted by Host211 View Post
    Yeah, I agree with this. Also, Google tends to abandon project if they cant obtain market leader status quickly. Amazon has so much money and is a loss leader in cloud. It will be hard to compete.
    There is one aspect here I'd disagree on. Amazon is not doing this as a loss leader. They may be able to use tax tricks to make their investments look like losses so they can avoid paying taxes and avoid making themselves look too profitable, discouraging competitors. But that is not the same as not making money. The high prices they charge, along with their huge scale, minimal spending on advertising, and complete avoidance of offering customer support, to me means that their cloud offerings EC2 etc, must be making them a pile of money. Likely that money is all going towards buying new hardware because they are growing rapidly and doing so requires major capital investments, but make no mistake this is not a loss leader for them.

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    Hopefully they use an external source like paypal or another processor to take payments. Google having credit info is just too much info along with everything else they have on people. Do they still have wallet? Never used it or ran into anyone using it?
    Google already has their own payment processing system. I would be surprised if they encourage use of paypal when they have their own alternative.