hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : ArmChair Attorneys

Forum Jump

ArmChair Attorneys

View Poll Results: Have you ever been to Court on an issue relating to your web hosting business?
Yes 8 18.18%
No 36 81.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2003, 07:39 PM
Build It Better!

ArmChair Attorneys

It's amazing how many people offer "legal advice" here. Seeing all these ArmChair Attorneys I have to ask;
How many people have been to court over a web hosting issue? I don't mean a settlement or letters. I mean in court with Lawyers and a Judge to decide an issue pertaining to your web hosting business.

Be honest...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2003, 07:42 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

What is amazing is how many people always threaten action with a lawyer knowing they don't even have one on retainer

Old 05-16-2003, 07:53 PM
Disabled

Don't take this the wrong way but it's the American Dream, to sue some fat cat and live on easy street for the rest of your life.
Nobody has and sense of responsibility anymore.

Hey, I have cancer. Sue the cigarette companies for making me smoke.
Hey, I'm fat. Sue the fast food companies for making me eat their food.
Hey, I burned my leg with coffee. Sue McDonald's for serving their coffee too hot.

We have children suing parents, people suing the electric company because they got drunk and ran into a power pole, people suing gun manufacturers because someone used a certain type of gun to kill. And we have people who want to sue their web host because their site was down for an hour. Where does it end?

We all pay higher insurance rates for virtually everything because of frivolous law suits.

Why would anyone even want to pretend to be a lawyer?

That's my rant for the day.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2003, 07:57 PM
Web Hosting Master

LOL, yeah, that's an unrelated topic (not what Watcher_TVI was saying), but I hear you. I love the emails I get from people who get banned. I have many, but some good ones:

"I am also in contact with a lawyer to discuss what you have done 2 times"

His posts were removed.

"please explain ASAP why I cannot use the forum . If I don't receive a reply immediately and you will turn ON my forum permission IMMEDIATELY I will ask a <snip> chargeback today and I will contact my lawyer to act against YOU , you are adviced ."

He was banned.

Anyhow, I don't entirely see how 'offering legal advice' and 'going to court over a web hosting issue' are related. If you're trying to discredit someone (or several people), then you need to make a better point. If you're question is, "How many people have been to court over a web hosting issue?" then that's one thing, and an interesting question. But your tangent of 'offering legal advice' and, "Be honest... " leads me to think you're trying (poorly) to make another point.

Many people offer legal advice who shouldn't (your neighbor, your brother or sister, your mother or father, your friends, etc.). Unless you've been living in a hole for your lifetime, you've come across these people. Is this news? Not to me at least.

Chicken

Old 05-16-2003, 08:07 PM
Web Hosting Master

Re: ArmChair Attorneys

Quote:
Originally posted by Watcher_TVI
It's amazing how many people offer "legal advice" here.
I'm with Chicken; it's not really "amazing" because it's not unique to here. It's quite common. People offer legal advice all the time. They also coach their favorite football team, and they all are apparently very talented television programmers, newspaper editors, etc.

The point is that people like to offer their opinions on things. And actually if anything were amazing, it'd be that people ask for legal advice from people whom they've for the most part never met, and know almost nothing about -- except that they aren't lawyers.

Old 05-16-2003, 08:15 PM
Build It Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken
Anyhow, I don't entirely see how 'offering legal advice' and 'going to court over a web hosting issue' are related. If you're trying to discredit someone (or several people), then you need to make a better point. If you're question is, "How many people have been to court over a web hosting issue?" then that's one thing, and an interesting question. But your tangent of 'offering legal advice' and, "Be honest... " leads me to think you're trying (poorly) to make another point.
You're on a Witch Hunt Chicken. I'll explain what I was thinking for you.

There have been a LOT of threads lately with many different people posting what would amount to legal opinions. No I am not talking about anyone in particular. If I had someone in mind I would have probably talked to him or her off the forum. I am just curious as to how many people have really been involved in a courtroom issue over a web hosting issue.

I don't have to posses some hidden agenda to post a poll here do I?

Old 05-16-2003, 08:39 PM
Web Hosting Master

Sure there's been several this past week - we've had several hosts suddenly disappear.

Whenever business is involved you're always going to hear about lawyers, and legal advice. Nobody wants to "get screwed"

And as a lost resort, some threaten legal action (sometimes with no legal ground to stand on). It's a bargaining chip - the word -lawyer- seems to carry with it a certain feeling of fear.

And one more thing - taking somebody to court over several dollars is really a complete waste of time. No company or client is willing to "go all the way"

Old 05-16-2003, 08:42 PM
iNET Senior Community Advisor

And many posts asks for legal advice, knowing that they won't be receiving it from an attorney.

Some people are pretty adept at legal issues. Some are toatally confused. A person that gets around the law library fine can help shed some light for someone that didn't know there's a public law library. Let alone, how to use it.

My post ain't about law libraries. It's about the expectations of the person seeking advice.

If he wanted advice from an attorney, he would have went to an attorney.

Old 05-16-2003, 09:16 PM
Web Hosting Master

about people threatening to bring suit: if you are unable to spell two and three syllable long words, i reserve the right to disbelieve the fact that you can afford an attorney and ridicule you in response to the threat.

about people giving legal advice: even lawyers will often need to perform a substantial amount of research to render a recommendation. when you receive legal advice from anyone other than a legal professional who has researched the issue at hand, please assume that it is just an opinion based on common sense and a varying amount of background information. with that said, some have more common sense than others and are quite able to give useful opinions.

paul

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

Old 05-16-2003, 09:19 PM
Build It Better!

I think in the US the legal lobby has everyone thinking sue first and see if it was smart later.

Most people that say go "get a lawyer" over a $50 or $100 issue haven't priced a decent Attorney lately. 9 out of 10 times it's not worth it unless you are talking substantial amounts of money.

I don't know many Attorneys but the ones I do know wouldn't even walk into a courtroom for less then a grand.

Old 05-16-2003, 09:53 PM

Dirt settling

Why do you exclude out-of-court settlements from the poll? ADR, arbitration and mediation are very much a lawyer's work.

Just because a matter doesn't get judged in court doesn't mean it's not "legal experience". I'd say out-of-court settlements adds more to a person's knowledge than cases decided by a judge. In fact, the vast majority of cases are settled (I think it's 90 per cent).

Old 05-16-2003, 10:53 PM
Web Hosting Master

An actual lawyer in most states cannot give advice to anyone here. That is why you do not see free help legal services, forum style situations. There may be some states (lawyers are governed by state law) that do not have this restriction, but I am unfamiliar with any such state.

I have a family full of lawyers, though I do not use them for my business, I like my lawyers mean. We have also had some pretty amazing lawyers in the privacy and copyright front offer us private advice on some subjects.

I have never been to court, as that would be losing, unless you are on the offensive, you don't ever want it to get to court (not counting court orders served against us for information on users who comitted crimes). We have been served numerous times, have been threatened more times than I can count.

I imagine there are many people here who have explored the legal ramications of certain acts, or have had a lawyer look into an aspect of their business. That is valid information, that does not need to be tested in the courts, and is nice that people share.

Chet

Old 05-16-2003, 11:00 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
about people threatening to bring suit: if you are unable to spell two and three syllable long words, i reserve the right to disbelieve the fact that you can afford an attorney and ridicule you in response to the threat.
Ya, proper grammer counts too

Old 05-16-2003, 11:02 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by blue27
Don't take this the wrong way but it's the American Dream, to sue some fat cat and live on easy street for the rest of your life.

That's my rant for the day.
I know, I know, I know you were being sarcastic. I also agree. But I can't help but reacting to your first sentence.

The problem is that too many people think that it is the Amercian Dream.

There are some who won't see the sarcasm as such.

The Amercian Dream surely, isn't the right to litigate to death.

The American Dream, if memory serves, is the right to Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.

Liberty, includes freedom from litigatory death.

Thank you for your rant of the day. I've had my rant for the day too.

Old 05-16-2003, 11:45 PM
Designer

idologicJeff,

I hear ya. However, over the years, "become rich and famous" has been added to that list

People want money, and as much of it as they can get. Folks such as Donald Trump, Bill Gates III, Vincent K. McMahon, and Ted Turner, have made money, look more appealing than actual values. Their lifestyles and their ability to buy practically anything they wish or choose to, has made others sit back in jealousy, wanting that very life.

Unfortunately, the legal population of our country has made it appear as though the easiest way to fulfill that portion of the, "new american dream," is to sue someone's ass off in court, for any reason.

I guess you could say, that it's not the official "american dream," but it certainly has been added to the list, at least in the minds of the majority of our population.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
dinCloud Targets Law Firms with New Cloud Service Suite Web Hosting News 2014-03-12 16:54:29
LexisNexis Partners with VCE, Launches Cloud Services for Law Firms Web Hosting News 2014-02-05 14:07:29
Changes to Communications Decency Act Could Harm Internet Industry Growth, Experts Say Web Hosting News 2013-08-13 11:38:03
Rackspace Names Open Source Expert Van Lindberg VP of Intellectual Property Web Hosting News 2013-02-19 16:35:08
The Election is Over - Capital Gains Tax and M&A - Immediate Steps Blog 2012-11-15 16:24:04