Question Managed v. Unmanaged

What is the difference between a managed server and an unmanaged server? I've seen people advertise "managed servers" while others advertise "unmanaged servers". Some are also claiming "semi-managed servers". Not sure the differences.

Managed Server: The company monitors your server, as well as applying security updates, and installing software you request. Most companies will not have a problem with you asking them to install something like a IRCD, or a shoutcast server, but they might. It all depends on their "level" of management.

Semi-Managed: I think(Repeat think) this is mostly monitoring, and critical security updates.

Unmanaged: You have to do everything yourself. The company basically sits back and lets you run your server. Many times they will not have a password to your server, unless they boot it into Single User Mode.
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever

That's what I figured it was. Thanks for the info!

Greetings:

"managed" has taken a beating word wise over the past three years and can range from a "control panel" to true management.

You really do need to ask your prospective "managed" host what "managed" means to them; and to outline your responsibilities compared to their responsibilities.

Also, some "unmanaged" hosts do as much as some of the "managed" ones.

Take care.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Originally posted by dynamicnet
    Also, some "unmanaged" hosts do as much as some of the "managed" ones.
    Could you name a few of them, who does that, if the list can't be posted here, kindly PM me the list.

Thank you

VPS platforms

Virtual Private Servers have also been claimed to be managed hosting. They offer root access, usually fewer users per server, and have a price between between shared and dedicated hosting.
    Customer Service
    FindYourHosting.com
    customer_service@findyourhosting.com
    http://www.findyourhosting.com

Unmanaged:

Rackshack[dot]net
    Dedicated Now(I think)

Managed:
    United Hosting(I believe)
    Rackspace

Really, the besy place for this would be in the Dedicated Server Forum... I am quite suprise with myself. I didn't advertise at all...

Greetings:

I would have to check out United Hosting, but Rackspace.com is only partially managed.

Hence, the necessity to ask questions about who is responsible for what.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

I though rackspace was fully mananged...

I know United resellers RS servers, and manages them. That way they can give people a low price.