Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recommend me a high quality dedicated server provider

Hi there,

I'm looking for a high quality dedicated server provider, I run a forum with the majority of my users in the U.S. so my current offshore location isn't exactly feasible.

No budget requirements, I just need a gigabit line.

I'm looking for a stable provider with minimal downtime.

Any recommendations?

Thank you!

Ubiquity has always done me right. I recommend them. They have multiple US locations as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 6God View Post
    Hi there,

I'm looking for a high quality dedicated server provider, I run a forum with the majority of my users in the U.S. so my current offshore location isn't exactly feasible.

No budget requirements, I just need a gigabit line.

I'm looking for a stable provider with minimal downtime.

Any recommendations?

Thank you!
    What sort of server specifications are you looking for? did you need managed/unmanaged? control panel?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Terrence View Post
    What sort of server specifications are you looking for? did you need managed/unmanaged? control panel?
    My current server is 6 cores 2.8 (12 logical), 12 gb ram, and 1tb hd. However, I'm barely using any of those resources so specs aren't too important.

Unmanaged is preferred and no control panel is necessary. With that said, I'd like to have IPMI/KVM access.

My current server is 6 cores 2.8 (12 logical), 12 gb ram, and 1tb hd. However, I'm barely using any of those resources so specs aren't too important.

Unmanaged is preferred and no control panel is necessary. With that said, I'd like to have IPMI/KVM access.
    You shouldn't have an issue finding what you are looking for, have a look in the offer section and good luck with your search..
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Quote Originally Posted by SpotOnHosting View Post
    Ubiquity has always done me right. I recommend them. They have multiple US locations as well.
    I second that! Only thing I don't like about them is how much they charge for Managed services and stuff like that.

There DMCA policy is amazing!

What's the exact processor model? Core speed doesn't matter nearly as much as generations

Quote Originally Posted by RSNET-John View Post
    What's the exact processor model? Core speed doesn't matter nearly as much as generations
    I was actually in contact with your sales team, I was considering your DC. Any chance you have a 1gb test file?

The processor is INTEL XEON X5660, which I think is on the higher end, no?

Drake,
    What type of traffic are you pushing? Your 95th percentile? What are the specs you're using offshore? No bottlenecks?

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Cisneros View Post
    Drake,
    What type of traffic are you pushing? Your 95th percentile? What are the specs you're using offshore? No bottlenecks?

ha

the forum is new, it's only been open a month so it's not very resource intensive atm.. I'm just use to having dedis from running large forums in the past, I don't like being reliant on system admins on shared servers

the specs are stated above "My current server is 6 cores 2.8 (12 logical), 12 gb ram, and 1tb hd. However, I'm barely using any of those resources so specs aren't too important."

my traffic is 91% U.S. so it makes sense to get a U.S. box

You can check hivelocity current offer. They've great network peering.

Quote Originally Posted by Host Dingle View Post
    You can check hivelocity current offer. They've great network peering.
    Hi there, I read some mixed reviews about them and unfortunately turned me off them.

I can't afford any downtime.

Hi there, I read some mixed reviews about them and unfortunately turned me off them.

Down time is rare when it comes to bigger providers so I don't think its something you really need to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by RSNET-John View Post
    Give these guys a shot, you won't regret it.

I've had no complaints with Steadfast, if you're still looking, check them out.

You said you wanted a 1gig line. Do you mean you need a 1gbps unmetered line or just a 1gbps port?

IOFlood for unmanaged.

Well, If you look at Providers Outage page, you will see, that there no exception - almost all providers had downtimes and everything depends how fast they can solve everything. It is very hard to guarantee 100% SLA ( impossible ).

Quote Originally Posted by BalticServers Andrius View Post
    Well, If you look at Providers Outage page, you will see, that there no exception - almost all providers had downtimes and everything depends how fast they can solve everything. It is very hard to guarantee 100% SLA ( impossible ).
    I understand that but I'm looking for a high quality network as in low latency around the U.S. and canada

PhoenixNAP has a great network. Softlayer has one of the best. Apart from that perhaps Superb.net. Speaking from experience - SecuredServers and Softlayer are good choices, as are LiquidWeb. Beyond that, perhaps Gigenet.

You could probably save cost with Softlayer by choosing a reseller such as AYKSolutions.

SFN for SURE

Okay....here is goes.....I have been with CN, AIT, RS, TP, SL, LW, etc...etc...etc since 1997....

My recommendation for you is SFN = Steadfast Networks

GW
    Last edited by BeenThereDoneThat; 12-30-2014 at 05:42 AM. Reason: PS....I am still a NEWBIE and SFN ROCKS...and I still have srvs with GNAX..aka ND

Plus I tried TIME Warner's 10X Cable on my own centos box

It didnt keep up <--LOL

Just my two pennies....as I am a old tech now....

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I ended up going with softlayer.

Please keep us updated after a couple of months with a little feedback of your SoftLayer experience. Thanks!

I would be happy to address any concerns you have. As far as I am aware most reviews of our service are highly positive. Additionally, the vast majority of our customers have experience 100% uptime for several years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast