A ".net" or ".com" for a hosting site? Which is best?

I notice many hosting sites use the .net rather than the .com.

Is it because it was too difficult to find an available and suitable .com? Or, is the .net the preferred choice for a hosting site?

Just my 5c

This is simply my opinion....

I'd say purchase both..... the .NET and the .COM. But market the .COM only, and forward (redirect, NOT frames) the .NET traffic to the .COM site.

Perhaps put a little notice on the .NET site like "Looking for MYCOMPANY.COM? You will be redirected in just a moment..."

Of course if we were all doing this "properly", hosting companies might logically be .NET's. But since .COMs are the first place people (i.e. Joe Consumer) goes to, then surely this is the site to focus attention to/on.

Afterthought: I guess it really depends on how your customers are getting to you. If you're relying on their ability to find you by simply remembering your company name (i.e. word of mouth, direct local sales, etc) then .COM might get more hits. But if you're bringing the bulk of your people in via links like Google AdWords or banner advertising, then a .NET may be the way to go.

Something deep inside of me feels that a .NET gives off a more "professional" image, especially for a tech company... but who knows. I'm willing to bet that there are as many opinions out there on this subject as there will be hosting companies...

All of this is just me speculating, mind you. I don't have any hard facts and figures to back up my "instincts"... does anyone have some stats?
    Last edited by GridMaster; 05-16-2003 at 10:06 AM.

.net domain names were intended for companies involved in internet infrastructure, and the .com was intended for commercial use.

However, the problem with using .net is that it is alien to most internet users. The majority of internet surfers don't even realise .net sites exist. And, if they come across a .net site, they will likely consider it inferior to sites using .com.

Can anyone think of a major site on par with yahoo.com that uses a .net?

.net = network
    .com = commercial
    .org = organization
    .edu = education
    .gov = government
    .mil = military

Anyone else want to add any more?
    L. James Prevo - President/Owner
    Prevo Network, LLC - http://www.prevo.net
    Est. 1999 - Month to Month Billing!!

.cc = Credit Card?

L. James Prevo - President/Owner
    Prevo Network, LLC - http://www.prevo.net
    Est. 1999 - Month to Month Billing!!

What is easier for the average person to remember? .com or .net?

I would suggest getting both if possible and redirecting one to another and marketing just one of them, just like GridMaster said. You would be surprised how many people actually visit a .net/.com for the same company to see if anything is there

-Alec

.com is and always will be king.

I have only one site I promote as the .net. Just because I like the looks and sound of it better. However, I point the .com to it.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue

I agree .com is my fave too
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

If the .com is the better choice for "any" online business, why are so many using and marketing .net hosting sites?

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    .... and .mil will always be queen?
    www.idologic.com
    www.demologic.com
    A company committed to people serious about their websites - If you don't DO LOGIC - what do you do?Check Us Out

I would go with .com as it's the most popular. I would also purchase the .net, .org, .us, .info, and the .biz versions with a redirect to the primary domain name.

I would think the traffic to http://www.rackshack.com went up ten fold as http://www.rackshack.net became popular. Most people associate the .com with the internet.

It doesnt matter I dont think, just so long you got a good webpage... that all that matters

Well back in the day when in my school it was a dream to own a domain aka your .com name stuff like that it was around 80 dollars at network solutions just for a domain name, I think this was in 95. Infact it was very hard to find registrars for me at least and never knew how to get those .com names and all that, then I met some hacker group that had a .org they showed where to get free .orgs I couldn't believe it so back then I think a lot of hacker groups associated with .org whereas .com was more commercial, .net was mainly used for small ISP's, don't get me wrong some sites sound really good with .net in it like asp.net, asp.com doesn't sound very good. I remember my first domain it was a namezero redirect and it was pretty cool hehe. Didn't learn about DNS until I registered my first domain long ago vectorchat.com well actually that was 2 years ago, amazing how times change now everyone has .com's.
    Nationhosts, LLC
    http://www.nationhosts.com
    "Nationwide hosting solutions"

.com is usually better because if you tell someone "Oh, I am hosted with 123hostingperson", the first thing they do is type 123hostingperson.com. It's practically guaranteed to get more traffic because of the norm associated with the .com name.

I would say this:

.com for the main site
    .net for name servers and redir to main page
    .us, .biz, etc for redir, so nobody takes your domains

.com is the most associated with websites, wile .net is second.

My perspective purely from a web "surfer" point of view, if I see a URL in a magazine or on a website, it doesn't matter what the extension is, because its right in front of me. I can click the link, or copy the URL into my browser. If I don't know the URL, or even the exact company name for that matter, I just type something close into Google and usually, what I'm looking for will be one of the first links found.

My point is simply, I'm not so sure that in this day and age that the extension really has much importance. At least, not as much as it may have had.

Artie

Originally posted by interseen

.com for the main site
    .net for name servers and redir to main page
    .us, .biz, etc for redir, so nobody takes your domains
    Id agree with that.
    .com for site, as it selling you service
    .net for the nameservers, as it is the "network" behind the service.
    SilverString Studios | visual precision in design

Re: A ".net" or ".com" for a hosting site? Which is best?

Originally posted by whtaddict
    I notice many hosting sites use the .net rather than the .com.

Is it because it was too difficult to find an available and suitable .com? Or, is the .net the preferred choice for a hosting site?
    Get both. Use .com for your main website and use .net for your nameservers. And have the .net index page forward to the .com main website.
    intellec
    ....you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get....

Like most people said, get both.

Most surfers will try the .com first, so if you only have the .net and someone tries to go to your site using the .com, he/she might think your server is down or worst, that you are out of business.

If the .com is already taken, then make sure you do not register the .net and offer the same type of services than the .com. For an example, if you wish to use GreatHost.com but use GreatHost.net since the .com is taken, most people will just go to GreatHost.com and you will lose businesses.

In any case, good luck with your busienss

When I was considering names for my company, I only considered ones where the .com version of the name was available. Apexware.net directs to Apexware.com.
    Apexware Hosting Solutions
    •• www.apexware.com
    ••• LOW Cost Budget Hosting
    •••• www.rockbottomhosting.com

another Idea not mentioned is if you offer any free services ie. free email. webpages. sites and the like or personal/business stuff not relating to your company offering .com for comercial services (sell) .net for network (use) of course with links back and forth. might seem like extra work but it isn't much. redirects always easier. You could point 10 names to one site and break them off later with links back to the old site at a later date. - I must be bored
    Server$Hit.com Reseller/Hosting For Real People
    WebHostingAccess Trial Accounts Upon Request
    www.ForALaugh.com Get over IT Get over yourself
    Yahoo IM: concreteseller | Toll Free Support: 1-888-603-5305 | Like the Maytag repairman

We use .net because we go by Server Enterprise Networks. Sounds fine to me.

I would highly recommend a .COM though. Easier on the newbies.
    Get it at work!
    LT in the Midday, 10a-3p
    Click here

if you have a .com thats great because the majority of users (IE) can just type yoursite and hit ctrl+enter that'll fill in the http://www. and .com but if you cant get hold of a .com go for .net and make sure that http://mysite.net works (without www.)
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.