What about an OUTAGES/STATUS forum?

Heck, anytime my server is down, I come here first to see if anyone else has logged a problem. So why not have a forum for this?

Thanks.

Because this shouldn't be the place for hosts use as a support forum.

A GOOD host, IMO, will have an off-network outage page

Hmm, perhaps, but don't many people come here to TALK about outages and problems? Wouldn't it be better to have one place for topics of this sort? Kind of a support group thing so at least you will know it's not just your server alone having problems.

Many of the companies are rather slow about getting to support tickets. At least if you know several other servers from the same host are down, you know the problem is much more widespread.

For instance, I posted a ticket with ThePlanet that my server was down. Although it was responded to in 14 minutes, all it said was "We are looking into this now." Did my server bite the dust? Do I need to round up my domain backups to rebuild after a hard drive replacement? At least when I saw someone else has their server down as well, I know to just sit back and wait for them to fix the problem EXTERNAL from my specific server.

IMHO, of course.

but don't many people come here to TALK about outages and problems?
    Nothing wrong with using the main forums for that - people use it now and it works fine. If we had a separate forum - hosts would be tempted to use it to post announcements - and a separate forum would be target for flames and trolls (not needed)

Heck I can see your point, but is the point of this site to help provide information for the readers or make things easier for the moderators?

Certainly I can't be the only one whom would love to have a forum here where I could do and EXPECT to see a notice from a host that they are suffering outages beginning such and such a time. Would save me from a few more gray hairs.

Announcements from hosts would be a bad thing? Heck, I don't know about anyone else, but I come here for information and help. When I can I will contribute, but being a relative newbie, that's few and far between.

But heck, it's your site, do as you think best. I just made a suggestion about something that I think would make it more useful and convenient for the people you are attracting here. I've been wrong in the past.

But I do run a couple of message boards myself, so I'm not going into this all stary-eyed and wet behind the ears. My philosophy is to make it easier on the user to FIND what they are looking for in the information resource I have provided for THEIR use.

Edit added: Oops! After posting this, I went and looked at the site to see if there is something stating the purpose of it all. And I guess I did see what looks like the most important thing. I saw that IMPORTANT notice about WHT Wear....

Sorry, just a tweak to the earlobe... Couldn't help it.
    Last edited by Rich Z; 05-14-2003 at 03:24 PM.

Heck I can see your point, but is the point of this site to help provide information for the readers or make things easier for the moderators?
    Both Like I said - we can talk abotu downtimes and uptimes in the main forum - i dont see a need for a separate forum. The point of WHT is to talk about webhosting - it's not an announcements or support forum.

Certainly I can't be the only one whom would love to have a forum here where I could do and EXPECT to see a notice from a host that they are suffering outages beginning such and such a time. Would save me from a few more gray hairs.

Announcements from hosts would be a bad thing? Heck, I don't know about anyone else, but I come here for information and help. When I can I will contribute, but being a relative newbie, that's few and far between.
    Yes i think it would be a bad thing - announcements from hosts shouldn't be posted here - IMO, a realiable and good host would have a separate off-network status page so that you could go THERE for help and not to WHT.

Let's say we did have a status forum wehre hosts could post announcements - what would happen if WHT went down? (Answer will probably be, the host should have a separate status page also - if that's your answer, thenwhy do we need a separate forum).

But heck, it's your site, do as you think best. I just made a suggestion about something that I think would make it more useful and convenient for the people you are attracting here. I've been wrong in the past.
    Not mine actually I'm just voicing my opinion just as you're voicing yours I dont have the final call on that - I'm just saying we dont need a separate forum

An outages/status forum would have to have a lot of moderators, since I see quite a lot of "downtime" posts where it's only the person's server or their cable modem acting up, and not the provider. I don't think it would be a good idea.

- Matt

Originally posted by akash
    A GOOD host, IMO, will have an off-network outage page
    Not just outage page .. at least send a notification to their clients via mailing list.
    Roy K.
    Pixie Internet Services - http://www.pixiehost.com
    Affordable, reliable hosting solution with Instant Activation

FORUM STATUS:

If the forum: works... its ok,
    If the forum: appears slow/doesnt load/db errors etc, its not ok.

Why have a page to tell you if the forum is working, surely you can tell for yourself?
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.