Critique my reseller plan?

I discovered this forum a few months ago and have read a lot of good info here. Now I'm wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions and/or cautions about this idea I have.

My best friend of some 25 odd years has started a small business, and of course, wants to have a web presence. He knows little to nothing about web-hosting, web-design, and computers in general. I know a fair amount about computers, a little about web-design, and very little about web-hosting. (Although, that knowledge has tripled since discovering these forums.)

He is counting on me to research a web-host and design and build the web page. I, on the other hand, would like to learn more about web-hosting. This seems like a great opportunity for me to buy a reseller plan, and host him as an exclusive client. We could split the costs. He would get dedicated service and support, while I could pick up some experience in a relaxed environment.

On the surface this seems like a good plan, but since I have no experience, I don't know what the pitfalls of this idea might be.

Anyone who would like to throw in their 2-cents worth, I'ld be very appreciative.

BTW - I've pretty much decided to go with UnitedHosting. Its not written in stone, but so far, I can't think of any reason not to.

Thanks everyone. Artie

Artie,

I don't see a problem with your plan... sounds like a good way to learn.

Sounds good, however 1 client will give very limited experience.
    There are plenty of people looking for free hosting.
    Take on upto 5 others and you will get a much better feel for things.
    Regards,
    Eric

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Hey Esr Tek, thats a great idea but, is there some reason,
    (perhaps legal or otherwise), that I should host others for free?
    (As opposed to cheap.)

Thanks, Artie

the way i see it, if it were free for them than they shouldnt have a problem with slow support and downtime while you learn!

That makes sense. Perhaps, give some web space to a few friends, just so I can "practice" my hosting skills.

Thanks, Artie

People are quicker to go with a free hosting offer then they are a paid hosting offer. If you allow a few "free" offers to jump aboard, then you may pick up a little faster on what it takes to take care of customers and so forth. After you pick up a bit, then you can move to offer paid hosting and will have a few clients aboard that can possibly make referrals .

Another good way to learn is to visit the web hosting company's support forums and read about the problems and solutions of others.

It happened to others, can happen to you. Even if it doesn't, its good to know.

That is my personal opinion.

Re: Critique my reseller plan?

Originally posted by artied2

BTW - I've pretty much decided to go with UnitedHosting. Its not written in stone, but so far, I can't think of any reason not to.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Good Choice. A Reputable company by all account with many happy users.

Regards
    Ben
    Ben Doherty
    Web Development Director
    Orbital Net Ltd - www.orbital.net – Leading UK Internet Solutions Provider
    Hosting | Colocation | Dedicated Servers | National ADSL | Leased Lines | Wireless Broadband