Direct new user to a FAQ section.

Everyday there are so many questions that are asked again and again. Since we always redirect them to the thread or advise them to use the search engine, why don't sticky one *FAQ* thread for those new registered users.

After new registered user clicks on the validation URL in the email, direct them to the FAQ thread once it's validated.

Depending on how they surf the forums, they may never see a sticky post. I visit this place 6 out of 7 days, and I've looked at the forum listing...oh, perhaps eleven times total. I always go straight for the "View new posts" button.

I think including a link to the Rules in the welcome / registration email message wouldn't be a bad idea. Your redirection idea sounds good, too.
    Lesli Schauf, TLM Network
    Linux and Windows Hosting: Scribehost

Perhaps when you click on "New Topic" and are taken to the "Compose" page, there should be a little blurb about trying to do a search first, as well as a link to an FAQ page that has a bunch of stickies for that particular forum.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Originally posted by living_media
    . . . . . I visit this place 6 out of 7 days . . . .
    SLACKER!!!

j/k . . . . . . . maybe.

I always visit by the "View new posts" link as well.

And, I'm pretty sure there's a link to the rules in the welcome email now.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

It might help to add a bold snip/link about the forum rules in the description of the forum. Similar to what they added over in the advert forums...
    when its all said and done though I really think people will just bypass it anyway. Its more fun to post first
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999