New free hosting request forum

Can we have a free hosting requests forum? It's getting annoying having to plough through all the people in the web hosting requests forum who want hosting for free to find people actually willing to lay out a couple of dollars per month.
    Last edited by Melitaweb; 05-11-2003 at 06:50 AM.

If you see a free hosting request, please use the 'Report this post to a moderator' link. And we'll add the word Free to the title.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

This has been asked so many times

Originally posted by anon-e-mouse
    This has been asked so many times
    Well then maybe it's just me but I would assume it's a popular suggestion

About a week ago, I/we started to add [free] to the title if the thread starter didn't already. If you don't read the title first and still plough through them all, that isn't our fault

well I did a search and the last request for a free forum was over a month ago and was met with overwhelming support.
    As for adding the word [free] that may be your policy but I must just be seeing posts before any of you get to them as I found at least 5 yesterday without the word in the title.
    Now I described the content of this thread perfectly in the title and, as such, nobody had to read it that didn't want to. To come here and just make a post saying 'it's been asked before' seems a little non-constructive to me considering this IS a request/suggestions forum.
    But as you so rightly said if you don't read the title first that is not my fault.

I personally pop in there a few times a day to check the new posts to see if they need editing (when I have time from attending to all the reported posts).

In my opinion, if the hosts ceased giving these requesters the free space, then it would soon wear pretty thin.

This forum is not just about requesting hosting. There are too many people using JUST that forum and not taking part in the community. To expand it would just be madness.

If your a host looking through requests for business and dont even want to take the effort to read each one (including free requests) then your lazy.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Originally posted by UH-Matt

If you're a host looking through requests for business and dont even want to take the effort to read each one (including free requests) then your lazy.
    Laziness pays off NOW!

Ok, now I'm confused again

Why not ban free hosting requests?

Problem Solved.

Originally posted by Pilgrim
    Laziness pays off NOW!

Ok, now I'm confused again
    Im allowed to be lazy as i dont use the requests forum, or moan about it
    Matt Wallis

Originally posted by UH-Matt
    Im allowed to be lazy as i dont use the requests forum . . . .
    Something new? Seems like you lived there.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    Something new? Seems like you lived there.
    3 posts in 2 months in the hosting requests area. I stopped posting as it rapidly went downhill.

I still enjoy the related offers area. I have about 6 pieces of software licenced now that I dont even want
    Matt Wallis

I like the job that's being done by the mods, adding "(free)" to the thread titles.

If we had a "Free Hosting Requests" forum, that wouldn't really do much to stem the tide of these requests. It also wouldn't be nearly as beneficial for those of us who don't read things by forum, but go straight for the "View new posts" link. Either way, there's a bit of reading required - either read the title and look for the "(free)", or read the forum that the post is in.

If there was another separate requests forum, it would hasten this community's slide toward a "hosting auction house", rather than its being a place primarily to discuss hosting issues. I don't think that this would necessarily be beneficial. Such a community would need more in the way of policing which hosts were allowed to reply to offers, constantly updated information from clients about the hosts' performance, and so forth, or requesters may unknowingly end up with some less-than-good-quality service providers.
    Lesli Schauf, TLM Network
    Linux and Windows Hosting: Scribehost

Originally posted by Darth
    Why not ban free hosting requests?

Problem Solved.

I agree. Theres geocities.com and all of that, packed with "features" (notice the " 's)

I agree with Darth and illuzhen777.