Great host... Trash hostname...

Okay a friend uses HostGator as his reseller provider. It's great he says it has everything he needs at reasonable prices and is very reliable and supportive. The only problem he has with it is his hostname is reseller.hostgator.com...LOL

What point are you trying to make here?

Good reseller provider's should have unbranded hostnames.

Originally posted by brandonk
    Good reseller provider's should have unbranded hostnames.
    I completely agree with that, but I assume this individual knew prior that it would be structured in that fashion....therefore no reason to complain about it.

Not everyone asks the hostname of the server they will be on before signing up for a reseller plan.

You would *expect* a host serious about selling reseller plans to have it as annonymous as possible.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Our reseller servers are completely anonymous. Perhaps your friend told you that back when the server first went live? What's your friend’s main reseller site?

I think you have outdated information as the server I believe you're talking about hasn't been named that for months. When the server first went live their was a day or two while it did have the name reseller.hostgator.com After that initial day or two of being live the name was changed to host.welcome.com and the server was made completely anonymous. Ask him again, and see what he says. Thanks!

Originally posted by UH-Matt
    Not everyone asks the hostname of the server they will be on before signing up for a reseller plan.

You would *expect* a host serious about selling reseller plans to have it as annonymous as possible.
    Unfortunatley, yes, some people don't ask. I would think it would be covered somewhere in the reseller agreement or FAQ..but then again, we all know most people don't even read those things.

Originally posted by hostgator.com
    Our reseller servers are completely anonymous. Perhaps your friend told you that back when the server first went live? What's your friend’s main reseller site?

I think you have outdated information as the server I believe you're talking about hasn't been named that for months. When the server first went live their was a day or two while it did have the name reseller.hostgator.com After that initial day or two of being live the name was changed to host.welcome.com and the server was made completely anonymous. Ask him again, and see what he says. Thanks!
    HEY, problem solved! WHT magic

Hey hostgator.com, cool I don't think he has a "main" reseller site he doesn't sell hosting just has a few domains he uses I think... Not sure I'll ask him when I next see him but I think he's off to Spain for a week on Tuesday

kylec please read next time before posting.
    "HEY, problem solved! WHT magic" The post is kind of long so let me make it easy. It says the first 2 days it was live it had that name, and then it was changed and has been changed for months. If it has been changed for months I don’t see how it magically changed all of a sudden when he posted. Not trying to be rude or anything =) I know I misread things all the time.

Originally posted by kylec
    HEY, problem solved! WHT magic
    There was no problem to begin with. The original post was half assed.

The Registrant for welcome.com is CNET, Inc. and domains goes to cnet.com

Are you sure you typed the correct anonymous domain name?
    Toeki - a Fikarast Co., Ltd. business (Accredited .WS & CentralNIC Registrar)
    We accept PayPal, Bank Transfers and all crypto currencies (BTC, ETC, LTC ...etc)
    █Domain Registration http://www.toeki.net

It's anonymous therefore their is no domain name. If we had a domain name for it that would mean it's not anonymous and all the people would have to do is a whois to discover who the host is. Am I missing something? Perhaps we should change the name on the server to anonymous.hostgator.com that way nobody will know it's us.
    Last edited by BrentOfHG; 05-12-2003 at 06:14 PM.

what i am saying is the anonymous domain name can't be welcome.com because it has been a search engine since 1996 and became part of CNET in 1998.

Most anonymous domain name won't have a name of a another company on it.
    Toeki - a Fikarast Co., Ltd. business (Accredited .WS & CentralNIC Registrar)
    We accept PayPal, Bank Transfers and all crypto currencies (BTC, ETC, LTC ...etc)
    █Domain Registration http://www.toeki.net