A db server and a Web server - What resources - Basics

I look at my different options to setup some own hosting for some sites i create.

I would like to have things optimal to a level of reason for what i make on the sites - which of course makes sense in general - but - The level of quickness in the application helps the site generate better revenue.

I use around 200GB bandwidth pr month - so this is not a problem.
    I hardly ever have high amounts of users on the site.

To be clear - currently the site loads perfectly fine...
    something like "top 95% of websites" - 1mb frontpage and load time of 650ms. The site is on dedicated hosting in Germany - currently running on HDD's - which is off course a no-go - but until now i more or less has been a proof of concept than anything else.

I am willing to pay to achieve better 100's in miliseconds.
    If we have a pingtime of 50ms for most of europe - loading the frontpage in 400-450ms should be fairly doable - with the right setup.. ?

Frontpage PHP document (18500 chars) does :
    5 Session-checks
    1 Mysql query (checked on SSD dedicated to 0.0002sec)
    1 CouchDB query (in-memory : in all cases fast)
    Loads 5 x 200kb images

The website application in general is made with php, mysql, couchdb, ffmpeg - for the most part php served media (php documents loads jpeg/gifs/mp4)

Along with going for SSD's i look into dividing it into 2 servers : DB server and Web server.

My thoughts :

Optimal DB server (Mysql + Couchdb) :
    Pcie Enterprise SSD - focus on high read iops.
    32/64GB DDR4 ram
    E5 1630 V3 (4 cores 3.7Ghz) - rather than maybe E5 1650 V3 (6 cores 3.5Ghz)

Optimal Webserver (Web + FFmpeg) :
    Sata SSD's - I don't have a high data amount
    64GB DDR4 ram
    Dual E5 2630 V3 (8 cores 2.4Ghz)

What are your thoughts about taking the approach in this way ?

Btw. I assume i am gonna host more similar web applications on the same setup - with re-use of the resources - so the resources might seem "insane" - It is more or less the optimal individual load time i aim at firstly.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by niehoe; 10-16-2014 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Word exchange - file : web

Alright so your goal is to get even better load times, even though right now you are getting very good load times. I think it would help to know what you are currently running on. Do you think your current setup is configured the best it possible can?

Your setup just seems like an insane overkill for a site that would not even be able to benefit from that much resources. Its just like an SATA drive versus a SSD drive. If you are not hitting the IO limits of the SATA drive you are not going to notice much difference with a SSD drive.
    SolaDrive - Enterprise Managed Server Solutions
    Specializing in Managed NVMe VPS & Dedicated Servers in US & UK
    Visit us at SolaDrive.com

Could any software caching techniques be applied here to optimize the delivery times?

Yeah, i know the hardware is kind of powerful in relation to the application. I am sure i can optimize more on the software part.

The idea is to have both hardware and software in play to achieve the optimal solution, and i would be willing to pay for optimizing the hardware part.

But basicly.. The idea about more Ghz ruling over Cores when we deal with the same CPU architecture ? - This i can assume to be correct right ?

Quote Originally Posted by niehoe View Post
    I look at my different options to setup some own hosting for some sites i create.

I would like to have things optimal to a level of reason for what i make on the sites - which of course makes sense in general - but - The level of quickness in the application helps the site generate better revenue.

I use around 200GB bandwidth pr month - so this is not a problem.
    I hardly ever have high amounts of users on the site.

To be clear - currently the site loads perfectly fine...
    something like "top 95% of websites" - 1mb frontpage and load time of 650ms. The site is on dedicated hosting in Germany - currently running on HDD's - which is off course a no-go - but until now i more or less has been a proof of concept than anything else.

I am willing to pay to achieve better 100's in miliseconds.
    If we have a pingtime of 50ms for most of europe - loading the frontpage in 400-450ms should be fairly doable - with the right setup.. ?

Frontpage PHP document (18500 chars) does :
    5 Session-checks
    1 Mysql query (checked on SSD dedicated to 0.0002sec)
    1 CouchDB query (in-memory : in all cases fast)
    Loads 5 x 200kb images

The website application in general is made with php, mysql, couchdb, ffmpeg - for the most part php served media (php documents loads jpeg/gifs/mp4)

Along with going for SSD's i look into dividing it into 2 servers : DB server and Web server.

My thoughts :

Optimal DB server (Mysql + Couchdb) :
    Pcie Enterprise SSD - focus on high read iops.
    32/64GB DDR4 ram
    E5 1630 V3 (4 cores 3.7Ghz) - rather than maybe E5 1650 V3 (6 cores 3.5Ghz)

Optimal Webserver (Web + FFmpeg) :
    Sata SSD's - I don't have a high data amount
    64GB DDR4 ram
    Dual E5 2630 V3 (8 cores 2.4Ghz)

What are your thoughts about taking the approach in this way ?

Btw. I assume i am gonna host more similar web applications on the same setup - with re-use of the resources - so the resources might seem "insane" - It is more or less the optimal individual load time i aim at firstly.

Thanks in advance.

Try to replace Loads 5 x 200kb images with sprite image in which single image load .
    CFG Web Hosting Company, Haryana, India
    Premium CDN Based cPanel Hosting & Dedicated Servers
    Follow Twitter:@cfghosting - www.cfg.co.in - +91.8988113379

What kind of hardware are you currently running your website on?

I think the servers you have selected will be an overkill and a waste of money, as they are very powerful and you don't seem to need so much power.
    Snoork Hosting - Enterprise Servers | DDoS Protected Network
    99.9% Network Uptime | 15 Minute Ticket Response Time | 24/7 Live Chat
    Check Out Our Dedicated Server Specials For Amazing Discounts & Promotions

In my honest opinion this is a very big overkill and most of the resources will not be used. You can save money easily by going with servers that better match your actual needs.
    Maple-Hosting - Netherlands Dedicated Servers
    Award-Winning Highly-Customizable Dedicated Servers Since 2008

“After 14 months, I can’t give them less than 10/10 on all aspects!” - Read Our Customer Reviews