DNS forwarding service

I am looking for a DNS forwarding and caching service, that works as reverse proxy does for HTTP (such as Akamai "edge" or Cloudflare), except for DNS specifically.

Specifically, I have a TLD registration and a nameserver, that I operate, that responds to DNS requests for that zone. What I'd like to do is point that domain example.com to a set of third-party nameservers; when requests came in, the third-party nameserver would respond from its cache, if it was valid; otherwise it will query my nameserver, and respond with that.

I am hoping to accomplish the following:

1. Availability: Brief outages on my nameserver won't cause DNS problems
    2. International connectivity: The third-party service would use anycast IP to give fast resolution service internationally
    3. DOS shielding: The IP of my nameserver would be kept private, shielding it from denial of service attacks
    4. Load reduction: Load on my DNS server will be reduced by caching

I specifically do not want the following:
    A. Third-party managed DNS: I have a DNS server and configuration system that I can not change.
    B. HTTP proxy, CDN, or any of that: I specifically want something that is specifically for DNS, not actually just an HTTP proxy mechanism that uses DNS as part of its system.

I assumed that this sort of service would just be a standard thing, and that it would be cheap (or at least, scaling with number of requests, or something). However, googling, I can't find anyone offering anything like this. For the most part, I just find various kinds of HTTP proxying services.

Has anyone ever heard of something like this, or have an idea of who I could talk to about it?

It sounds like all you're really asking for is a secondary DNS service, which actually is nothing fancy. I'm not familiar with the third party DNS providers out there, but something like this should do the job:

http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/services/secondary-dns/

The primary DNS server can be your private servers that nobody else needs to know about.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Actually, I'm looking specifically for forwarding, not zone transfer. Maybe that's a little goofy, but in my existing installation, zone transfer is not convenient. The DNS architecture is complicated, and there is already forwarding and multiple zones involved. It's all based on resolution to a few redundant hosts working.

I think most things advertising as secondary DNS, such as the service you linked, will be based on zone transfer.

look at buddyns.com,

to activated you will need your own dns server (1 dns)
    and its copy your dns zone to buddyns.com.

it's free for 0.3 Million queries/month and very cheap if you will need more ($3 for 3 months)